3 March 1934
Somdal (Shongran), Manipur
|Organization||1964-1980 NNC, 1980-1988 undivided NSCN, 1988-present NSCN (IM)|
|Parent(s)||Shangkathan Muivah, Luimala Muivah|
Muivah was born in Shongran (Somdal), and did his early schooling at his village and in Ukhrul. Muivah is Tangkhul Naga from Manipur state. He then joined the Naga National Council (NNC), an armed group campaigning for secession of Nagaland from India. He subsequently became the General Secretary of NNC. When a group of NNC leaders signed the Shillong Accord of 1975 with the Government of India, Muviah and some others denounced them as traitors.
NNC to NSCN
In 1980, a faction led by Isak Chishi Swu, Muivah and S. S. Khaplang broke away from NNC to form the National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN). The NSCN was formed as a result of discontentment with the Shillong Accord, and continued secessionist activities abandoned by the NNC. The group later split into NSCN (IM) led by Swu and Muivah, and NSCN (K) led by Khaplang due to major disagreements.
NSCN (IM) under the leadership of Thuingaleng Muivah and Isak Chishi Swu signed a ceasefire agreement with the Government of India in August 1997 after decades of engaging in hostile fighting with Indian security forces. The major breakthrough of the peace talk happened on 3 August 2015 with the signing of a peace accord between Indian Government.
- Horam, Chonmipem (12 August 2010). "Who is Thuingaleng Muivah?". Zeenews.com. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "A brief bio of Th. Muivah". Zee News. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- A. S. Atai Shimray (1 January 2005). Let Freedom Ring?: Story of Naga Nationalism. Bibliophile South Asia. pp. 103–104. ISBN 978-81-85002-61-3.
- Professor Ranabir Samaddar (28 May 2015). Government of Peace: Social Governance, Security and the Problematic of Peace. Ashgate Publishing Limited. p. 139. ISBN 978-1-4724-3493-7.
- "Peace Accord with India". New Indian Express. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- "On Th Muivah". Zee News. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
|This article about an Indian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|