Thunder (Boys Like Girls song)
|Single by Boys Like Girls|
|from the album Boys Like Girls|
|Released||May 6, 2008 (United States)|
|Boys Like Girls singles chronology|
This song was released as an acoustic version first, before it appeared on the band's first album, and over 2 years before the song's official single release. It impacted to radio on May 6, 2008. The band first posted the radio remix of the song on their Myspace profile on March 11, 2008. It was the first song Boys Like Girls ever wrote and was written about Martin's high school sweetheart. Despite its poor performance in charts compared to their previous singles, it was certified Gold by RIAA the same week "Hero/Heroine" went Gold.
There are two version of this song, one version where Johnson sings alone and another version where Donahue sings some lines and does some back up vocals.
- "Thunder" (Album version) - 3:57
- "Thunder" (Radio Mix/Single version) - 3:57
- "Thunder" (Acoustic Version) - 4:02
It was released on June 20, 2008 and premiered on FNMTV. The music video shows a group of friends, in which there are couples hanging out. The music video starts with the band playing, and then moves on to a group friends along with Boys Like Girls members going to a restaurant to eat and starts having a food fight, with intervals of the band playing. The friends then go a field, where they drink and laugh. The friends then start making a human pyramid, but fail. The couples start hanging out alone and making out. From this on, the band is shown playing in the rain. The friends are then shown going to a swimming pool and start swimming, with a couple making out underwater. They then run through a carpark and stand by the railings to see the sunrise. The couples are then making out again, and the music video ends with the band leaving their instruments.
The music video "Thunder" was filmed in Cerritos, California, a suburb in southeast Los Angeles county. The video was shot in many different locations throughout Cerritos, which include: the Tall Mouse Crafts store off South Street and Carmenita Road, Jack's Restaurant on Carmenita and South Street, Cerritos Park East Park/Rec Center off Ironbark Drive and 166th Street, Cerritos Park East Swim Center off 166th Street and Carmenita, and a commercial parking structure off Towne Center Drive and Park Plaza Drive near the Cerritos Towne Center and across the street from the Cerritos Millennium Library. They first started on YouTube and then came a big hit for teenagers.
The main location where the band is seen playing in the street is Droxford St. and Pinewood Circle, a cul-de-sac in Cerritos.
- Martin Johnson - lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Paul DiGiovanni - lead guitar, backing vocals
- Bryan Donahue - bass guitar, backing vocals
- John Keefe - drums
- Review of 'Thunder' Contactmusic.com
- Review of 'Thunder' on Culturedeluxe.com
- Review of 'Thunder on Absolutepunk.com
|US Billboard Hot 100||76|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||21|
- FMQB: Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!
- Boys Like Girls. "Biography – The Official Boys Like Girls Site". Boys Like Girls. Retrieved June 23, 2009.
- "Boys Like Girls – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Boys Like Girls.
- "Boys Like Girls – Chart history" Billboard Pop Songs for Boys Like Girls.