Thunderbolt (DC Comics)
|First appearance||Flash Comics #1 (January 1940)|
|Created by||John B. Wentworth|
|Species||5th Dimension Jinn|
|Team affiliations||Justice Society of America|
The Thunderbolt is both the name of a fictional character appearing in comics published by DC Comics and the name of other fictional genies within the 5th dimension. The primary Thunderbolt is Yz, originally portrayed as a genie-like character who hosts Johnny Thunder and Jakeem Thunder and appeared as an original member of the Justice Society of America.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2018)
Fictional character biography
Yz is a 5th Dimension Jinn who resided in a pen that was entrusted to Johnny Thunder on his birthday where the Badhnesians would use it to rule the world. This plan was thwarted when Badhnesia was attacked by a neighboring country. Later on, Johnny Thunder became aware of Thunderbolt's existence and the summoning word "cei-u."
When Johnny Thunder started suffering from symptoms of Alzheimer's disease, he loses track of a pen in which the Thunderbolt is being stored. The pen eventually ends up in the ownership of a young African American boy named Jakeem Williams, who takes up the name Johnny Jakeem Thunder or Jakeem Thunder.
In a later battle with Solomon Grundy, Jakeem unwittingly cures Johnny Thunder of Alzheimer's thanks to Thunderbolt. However, Johnny immediately falls prey to the Ultra-Humanite, who takes over Johnny's body in order to command the Thunderbolt's powers. In the "Stealing Thunder" storyline, Jakeem is one of several heroes left free from Ultra-Humanite's control. Eventually Jakeem wrests control of the Thunderbolt back from Ultra-Humanite, but Johnny Thunder loses his life. Jakeem then wishes that the Thunderbolt could save Johnny somehow, so the genie chooses to merge with Johnny, creating a new being with the memories of both. He later assumes the name Johnny Thunderbolt.
- Mzzttexxal is a parasitic energy being from an unknown planet. She bonded with a private detective named Jonni Thunder.
- Zzlrrrzzzm is a parasitic energy being from an unknown planet and is the lover of Mzzttexxal. He later became bonded to Skyman.
- Mildred is the Thunderbolt's wife.
- Shocko is the Thunderbolt's son.
Other characters named Thunderbolt:
- A Golden Age villain named Thunderbolt who battled Mister America.
- Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt, a superhero originally owned by Charlton Comics.
In other media
- "DC's 'Rebirth': Decoding the Superhero Comic Book Relaunch". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- "CEI-U! Did Johnny Thunder Banish the JSA? Can He Bring Them Back for Rebirth?". Newsarama. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- "Doomsday Clock #3, Annotated Part 2 - The JSA 'Returns,' Doom Patrol & Arkham". CBR. 26 January 2018.
- Flash Comics 1: 34-35 (January 1940), All-American Publications
- Flash Comics 8: 32 (August, 1940), All-American Publications
- Flash Comics 2: 35 (February, 1940), All-American Publications
- E. Nelson Bridwell (w), Kurt Schaffenberger (p), Frank Chiaramonte (i). "The Rescue of His Majesty, Johnny Thunder" Superman Family 204 (November/December, 1980), DC Comics
- JLA #26
- JSA #46
- DC Universe: Rebirth one-shot (May 2016)
- Jonni Thunder #1. DC Comics.
- Infinity Inc. #41. DC Comics.
- Flash Comics #69
- Action Comics #45. DC Comics.
|← The original Hawkman, the original Hawkgirl, Hath-Set and Nth Metal were debuted by Gardner Fox and Dennis Neville. See Hawkman (Carter Hall), Hawkman, Shiera Sanders Hall, Hawkgirl, Hath-Set and Nth metal for more info and the previous timeline.|| Timeline of DC Comics (1940s)
January 1940 (See also: Johnny Thunder)
|Whiz Comics series was debuted by Fawcett Comics. See Whiz Comics for more info and next timeline. →|