|• Total||6.81 km2 (2.63 sq mi)|
|Elevation||720 m (2,360 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2017)|
|• Density||1,400/km2 (3,500/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Cazis, Fürstenau, Lohn, Masein, Rongellen, Sils im Domleschg, Urmein|
Thusis (Italian: Tosana, Romansh: Tusàn) is a municipality in the Viamala Region in the Swiss canton of Graubünden. On 1 January 2018 the former municipality of Mutten merged into the municipality of Thusis.
Thusis is first mentioned in 1156 as Tosana.
Thusis has an area, as of 2006[update], of 6.8 km2 (2.6 sq mi). Of this area, 18% is used for agricultural purposes, while 58.2% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 15.2% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (8.6%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains). The municipality is the capital of the Thusis sub-district, of the Hinterrhein district, after 2017 it was part of the Viamala Region. It is the center of the Hinterrhein valley and is located at the confluence of the Hinterrhein and Nolla rivers. Thusis is also at the end of the Viamala canyon. It consists of the village of Thusis and, since 1875, includes Übernolla.
Thusis has a population (as of 31 December 2017) of 9,269. As of 2008[update], 23.6% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 0.7%.
As of 2000[update], the gender distribution of the population was 50.4% male and 49.6% female. The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Thusis is; 304 people or 11.2% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old. 142 people or 5.2% are 10 to 14, and 141 people or 5.2% are 15 to 19. Of the adult population, 354 people or 13.0% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 460 people or 16.9% are 30 to 39, 402 people or 14.8% are 40 to 49, and 333 people or 12.3% are 50 to 59. The senior population distribution is 255 people or 9.4% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 195 people or 7.2% are 70 to 79, there are 104 people or 3.8% who are 80 to 89, and there are 27 people or 1.0% who are 90 to 99.
Thusis has an unemployment rate of 1.65%. As of 2005[update], there were 15 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 5 businesses involved in this sector. 525 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 36 businesses in this sector. 1,325 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 190 businesses in this sector.
From the 2000 census[update], 1,085 or 39.9% are Roman Catholic, while 1,096 or 40.3% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there are 134 individuals (or about 4.93% of the population) who belong to the Orthodox Church, and there are 46 individuals (or about 1.69% of the population) who belong to another Christian church. There are less than 5 individuals who are Jewish, and 96 (or about 3.53% of the population) who are Islamic. There are 64 individuals (or about 2.36% of the population) who belong to another church (not listed on the census), 101 (or about 3.72% of the population) belong to no church, are agnostic or atheist, and 95 individuals (or about 3.50% of the population) did not answer the question.
The historical population is given in the following table:
Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (the local Swiss German dialect is known as Thusnerdeutsch) (77.7%), with Serbo-Croatian being second most common ( 5.2%) and Italian being third ( 4.7%).
|Languages in Thusis GR|
|Languages||Census 1980||Census 1990||Census 2000|
Thusis has an average of 101.6 days of rain per year and on average receives 892 mm (35.1 in) of precipitation. The wettest month is August during which time Thusis receives an average of 112 mm (4.4 in) of precipitation. During this month there is precipitation for an average of 10.7 days. The month with the most days of precipitation is June, with an average of 10.7, but with only 97 mm (3.8 in) of precipitation. The driest month of the year is February with an average of 42 mm (1.7 in) of precipitation over 10.7 days.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 17 September 2018
- Thusis in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 08-Oct-2009
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz - Mutationsmeldungen 2016 accessed 16 February 2017
- Graubunden in Numbers Archived 2009-09-24 at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 21 September 2009
- Graubunden Population Statistics Archived 2009-08-27 at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 21 September 2009
- "Temperature and Precipitation Average Values-Table, 1961-1990" (in German, French, and Italian). Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology - MeteoSwiss. Archived from the original on 27 June 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2009., the weather station elevation is 672 meters above sea level.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thusis.|
- Official website (in German)