Thyspunt, Eastern Cape
Thyspunt is a rocky stretch of coast approximately 12 km WNW of Cape Saint Francis in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa. It is just west of the beach Thysbaai and south-east of Oyster Bay. The point is near the popular surfing beach of Jeffreys Bay as well as the holiday town of St Francis Bay. It lies about 18 km SSW of the town of Humansdorp.
The significance of this locale is that it has been identified as a possible future nuclear reactor site by South African electricity utility Eskom. Analysis of impact studies has identified Thyspunt as the preferred site for South Africa's next nuclear power station.
The environmental impact assessments of 2009 have been revised and updated and five public participation meetings held in the area at Oyster Bay Hall, Oyster Bay on 19 October 2015, St Francis Links Golf Club, St. Francis Bay on 20 October 2015, Sea Vista Community Hall, Sea Vista, St. Francis Bay on 21 October 2015, Newton Hall, Jeffrey’s Bay on 22 October 2015 and Humansdorp Golf Club, Humansdorp on 23 October 2015.
- New Build News - January 2008, archived from the original on 2008-04-09, retrieved 2013-11-17
- "Thyspunt". Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "Nuclear 1 - Transmission - Thyspunt". Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "There goes the neighbourhood...and here comes nuclear". Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "First nuclear site may be approved by April - Moneyweb". Retrieved 2015-08-24.
- "One step closer for nuclear at Thyspunt". Moneyweb. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- "GIBB Projects > Projects > Eskom Nuclear 1 Revised Draft EIR Version 2". projects.gibb.co.za. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- "Hecklers and near fisticuffs at the Thyspunt meeting!". St Francis Chronicle. Retrieved 2015-11-01.
|This Eastern Cape location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|