|Peiyang University (北洋大學)|
National Peiyang University (北洋大學校/國立北洋大學)
Imperial Tientsin University (天津北洋西學學堂/北洋大學堂)
Motto in English
|Seeking Truth from Facts |
|Established||October 2, 1895|
|Party Secretary||Yang Xianjin (杨贤金)|
It was established in 1895 as Imperial Tientsin University (Chinese: 天津北洋西學學堂) and later Peiyang University (Chinese: 北洋大學). In 1951, after restructuring, it was renamed Tianjin University, and became one of the largest multidisciplinary engineering universities in China, one of the first 16 national key universities accredited by the nation in 1959. It is now among the first group of institutions of higher learning to be included in the national "Double First Class University Plan" and former ministerial "Project 211" and "Project 985" by which it is given priority in construction. In order to carry out the "21st Century Education Revitalizing Action Plan", in late 2000 the Ministry of Education and Tianjin Municipality signed an agreement intending to build Tianjin University into a world-class university for the 21st century, including setting up the Excellence League.
In 1895, Sheng Xuanhuai submitted his memorial to the Guangxu Emperor to request for approval to set up a modern higher education institution in Tianjin. After approval on October 2, 1895, Peiyang Western Study College was founded by him and American educator Charles Daniel Tenney and later developed to Peiyang University. It was the first university providing four year degree modern higher education in China. The university modeled itself on the famous American Universities and aimed to rejuvenate China by training qualified personnel with new scientific and technological knowledge. After the PR China's foundation and university restructures, Peiyang University was renamed Tianjin University in 1951.
Peiyang University / Tianjin University contributes greatly to the Chinese society. In its early days, undergraduates had the permission to directly pursue graduate study at Harvard and Yale without any entrance exams. Its Law School, which is the first (and also the best at that time) Law School in China, was merged into Peking University and gave Peking University a fresh new start. Peiyang's Department of Aeronautics was separated and developed into Beihang University.
- 1895 Peiyang University founded
- 1899 The first modern diploma in China granted
- 1907 Developed into a comprehensive university integrating Engineering with Liberal Arts, Law and Education.
- 1935 The first group of graduate students enrolled
- 1937 The first master's degree conferred
- 1951 Merged with Hebei Institute of Technology, renamed as Tianjin University
- 1958 The first library (floor area of 14423 m2) established
- 1959 Became one of the first 16 National Key Universities
- 1981 The first group of PhD students enrolled
- 1984 The graduate school founded
- 1985 The first doctor's degree conferred
- 1995 100th anniversary
- 1999 National University Science Park built to facilitate knowledge transfer
- 2000 Became one of the first batch of universities under “985” Project
- 2009 Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) degree program in Chemical Engineering accredited by IchemE (Institution of Chemical Engineers)
- 2010 Tianjin University New Campus Plan Launched
- 2013 Tianjin Co-Innovation Center of Chemical Science and Engineering (COIC_CSE) became one of the first 14 collaborative innovation centers of the "2011" Project
Building of disciplines
A discipline layout, with stress on engineering, incorporating science, engineering, economics, management, humanities, education, law and art has been formed in the university. The university now has 6 national key disciplines and 17 municipal key disciplines. Some disciplines with advantages and characteristics such as power machinery and engineering, optical engineering, testing and measuring technology and instruments, chemical engineering, chemical technology, management science and engineering, mechanics, architecture, material science and engineering, are all leading disciplines in China and have international influence.
For the time being, the university has 12 first-grade disciplines and 49 second-grade disciplines that confer Doctoral degree, 87 disciplines conferring master's degree, 17 engineering disciplines conferring master's degree in engineering. The university also confers master's degrees in business administration (MBA) and public administration (MPA). At present there are 15 postdoctoral research programs, 4 national key laboratories, 1 national engineering research center, 2 technology research and promotion centers of national scientific and technological achievements, 7 engineering technological R&D centers and open laboratories at ministerial level.
In June 2001, the university was evaluated by the expert panel of the Ministry of Education as having successfully completed all the construction items set by “211-Project” for the Ninth Five-Year Plan Period.
Scientific and technological achievements
The university boasts a strong team of professional and concurrent researchers. There are five key national laboratories, one national engineering research center, two national promotion centers for scientific and technological achievements, seven engineering research and development centers and open laboratories at ministerial level. There are over 80 laboratories, 110 research institutes, 15 experimental research and engineering development centers at the university.
Since the policy of reform and opening up to the outside world, hundreds of scientific and technological achievements of the university have won prizes. Among them, 70 won the National Natural Science Award, the National Invention Award, or the Award of National Science and Technology Progress, and 510 won the awards of science and technology progress of the Ministry of Education or at provincial or ministerial level. 393 have applied for patents, of which 278 have been patented. In 2001, the Science and Technology Park of Tianjin University became one of the 22 university sci-tech parks in China. A scientific research system consisting of basic research, applied research and R&D has been formed at the university. The university's annual amount of financial aid received from the National Natural Science Foundation always ranks top among China's engineering institutions of higher learning. Great achievements have been made in transforming scientific and technological achievements into productive forces. The university has established extensive cooperative relations with many large and medium-sized enterprises at home. In 2000 the university's funds for science and technology amounted to RMB 280 million.
Since the 1980s, hundreds of scientific and technological achievements of the university have won prizes. During the Ninth Five-Year Plan period, 159 scientific and technological achievements of the university won prizes. Among them, six are the National Invention Award, nine the Award of National Science and Technology Progress, one the National Natural Science Foundation Award, 56 the Science and Technology Progress Prize of the Ministry of Education, 81 the Science and Technology Progress Award of Tianjin City, 22 other provincial or ministerial Science and Technology Progress prizes. 134 achievements were patented, in which 35 were inventions and 99 practical new-type patents.
During the Ninth Five-Year Plan period, the university's scientific research funds amount to RMB 1.055 billion, a record high in the university's history, and come out front among universities nationwide. In October 1999, Tianjin University, in cooperation with Tianjin Economic and Development Area, established the University Sci-tech Park. The park, evaluated by the Ministry of Science and Technology and the Ministry of Education, has been named as a trial national university park for science and technology.
In recent years, its students have won more than 100 prizes in competitions on different subjects, of which four are international prizes, 50 are national prizes. In the International architectural design competition for University Students held in 1994 and 2000, participated by over 180 colleges and universities from more than 50 countries including world-famous universities like MIT, Harvard and Cambridge University, the participants from the School of Architecture of Tianjin University won twice the highest prize which indicates the university's educational quality and level.
The university industries are characterized by bringing forth new ideas to technology, initiating high-tech enterprises, and transforming scientific and technological achievements into industries. Tiancai Co. Ltd. is the representative of the university's industries, which takes advantage of the university's superiority in science and technology. The university's industries include computer information, packed towers, industrial crystallization, and opto-electronic integration and have made good economic as well as social benefits.
In 2020 professor Zhang Hao (張浩) was convicted in the US on charges of stealing trade secrets on behalf of his firm and Tianjin University. The stolen trade secrets allowed his company and Tianjin to unfairly compete in the global radio frequency filter market. In 2009 Zhang Hao and his accomplice Pang Wei (龐慰) who were both professors at Tianjin University cooperated with the university to found a company named Novana using the stolen information.
Tianjin University has formed a rich campus cultural atmosphere by promoting its education in ideology, politics, science and technology, culture and art. In recent years, the university has attached great importance to quality education of its students. The Students’ Union, the Students’ Scientific Society, Peiyang Art Team, and the Youth Volunteers’ Society have played active roles in organizing cultural and art festivals, science and technology festivals, sport festivals, work-study programs, and social activities in the forms of lectures, seminars, contests, soliciting articles, training and weekend music parties. The university, as a trial unit and base of national cultural quality education for undergraduates, has made remarkable achievements in cultural quality education. In 2000, Vice Premier Li Lanqing made important comments on the art education report submitted to the Ministry of Education by Tianjin University, making Tianjin University's art education model one of the three in China. Tianjin University was chosen as a National Advanced Unit of Art education.
Rankings and reputation
|Global – Overall|
|ARWU World||151–200 (2021)|
|QS World||332 (2022)|
|QS Employability||301–500 (2020)|
|THE World||401–500 (2021)|
|USNWR Global||308 (2022)|
|Regional – Overall|
|THE Emerging Economies||32 (2022)|
|USNWR Asia||49 (2022)|
|National – Overall|
|BCUR National||19 (2019)|
|THE National||16 (2021)|
In the 2022 US News & World Report Best Global University Ranking, a number of disciplines and subjects at Tianjin University are ranked in the global top 300th including:
- Polymer Science #9
- Energy and Fuels #14
- Nanoscience and Nanotechnology #14
- Chemical Engineering #15
- Physical Chemistry #17
- Mechanical Engineering #20
- Condensed Matter Physics #20
- Chemistry #23
- Civil Engineering #36
- Engineering #38
- Materials Science #45
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering #48
- Optics #53
- Biotechnology and Applied Microbiology #69
- Computer Science #129
- Mathematics #223
- Environment/Ecology #230
- Biology and Biochemistry #273
- Geosciences #302
Cooperation and exchanges
Tianjin University was one of the first universities in China to explore cooperation with external organizations, and conducts extensive international exchanges and cooperation, keeping close relations with many institutions of higher learning, educational institutions, and transnational enterprises worldwide. The university has established cooperative relations with provinces and cities such as Hebei Province, Jilin Province, Xinjiang, Tibet, and Chongqing Municipality. Its scientific and technological cooperation can be found all over the country. The university strengthens its cooperation with transnational industrial groups in the high-tech fields. Meanwhile, the university has signed cooperation agreements with more than 20 transnational companies, and with 80 institutions of higher learning from 28 countries, conducting academic exchanges, cooperative scientific research and joint training programs.
The university invites famous scholars and celebrities to be its honorary or guest professors. To name a few, Prof. Herbert A. Simon, Nobel Prize winner of the Psychology Department of Carnegie Mellon University; Professor Gerald Vizenor, Emeritus professor of American literature at the University of New Mexico (Vizenor portrayed Tianjin University in his novel Griever: An American Monkey King in China); Dr. Yang Zhenning, famous physicist of the State University of New York; academician, world-famous mathematician Lin Jiaqiao; Mazuopin Kalin, professor of the Electrical Machinery Department of Yale University; Li Dingyi, professor of AT&T Bell Laboratory. In recent years, the university has sponsored or undertaken more than a dozen large international academic conferences, which create more channels for the university to promote international exchanges and cooperation.
Tianjin University also cooperated with University of South Australia to build China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Urban Development at October 27, 2012.
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (March 2011)
- Wang Ch'ung-hui, jurist, diplomat and politician
- Tang Shaoyi, assassinated statesman
- Ma Yinchu, economist
- Shu-tian Li, engineer and president of Peiyang
- Xu Zhimo, poet
- Jinlong Gong, chemist and professor
- Zhang Tailei, leader of the Guangzhou Uprising
- Chen Lifu, bureaucrat, politician, and anti-communist
- Wang Zhengting, diplomat
- Huang Jiqing, geologist
- Jia Qinglin, retired senior leader of the People's Republic of China and of its ruling Communist Party
- Larry Yung, former chairman of CITIC Pacific
- Sun Guangxin, billionaire businessman
- XinMo Li, contemporary artist
- Feigang Fei, restaurateur
This article's list of people may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (March 2011)
- Hou Debang, chemical engineering expert
- Mao Yisheng, structural engineering expert
- William S.W. Lim, architect
- Feng Jicai, writer
- "天大简介 (Chinese)". Tianjin U. Archived from the original on August 18, 2014. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- "Welcome from President Li Jiajun". Tianjin U. Archived from the original on July 15, 2014. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- "中国第一所现代大学-天津大学". Tianjin University. Archived from the original on 2022-08-09. Retrieved 2022-04-25.
- "教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设学科名单的通知 - 中华人民共和国教育部政府门户网站". www.moe.gov.cn. Archived from the original on 2019-03-27. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "History and Milestones-Tianjin University:". www.tju.edu.cn. Archived from the original on 2022-01-18. Retrieved 2022-01-18.
- "北洋大学堂-搜狐教育". learning.sohu.com. Archived from the original on 2018-11-30. Retrieved 2022-01-07.
- "Tianjin University-Our History-Milestone". Tianjin University. Archived from the original on 2016-05-13. Retrieved March 16, 2016.
- Chang, Chris. "Chinese Professor convicted of stealing trade secrets from US firms". www.taiwannews.com.tw. Taiwan News. Archived from the original on 28 June 2020. Retrieved 28 June 2020.
- "ShanghaiRanking's Academic Ranking of World Universities". www.shanghairanking.com. Archived from the original on 2021-08-15. Retrieved 2021-09-14.
- "QS World University Rankings 2022". Top Universities. Archived from the original on 2012-09-17. Retrieved 2021-09-14.
- "QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020". Top Universities. Archived from the original on 2020-06-23. Retrieved 2020-12-04.
- "World University Rankings 2021". Times Higher Education (THE). Archived from the original on 2020-09-02. Retrieved 2020-12-04.
- "US News Best Global University Rankings 2022". Archived from the original on 2014-10-29. Retrieved 2020-12-04.
- "Emerging Economies". Times Higher Education (THE). October 15, 2021. Archived from the original on February 5, 2022. Retrieved October 21, 2021.
- "US News Best Asia University Rankings 2022". Archived from the original on 2014-10-28. Retrieved 2020-12-04.
- "Overall Ranking, Best Chinese Universities Rankings - 2019". www.shanghairanking.com. Archived from the original on 2020-03-30. Retrieved 2020-12-04.
- "THE China University Rankings 2021". Times Higher Education (THE). Archived from the original on 2020-09-02. Retrieved 2020-12-04.
- "Tianjin University in China - US News Best Global Universities 2021". U.S. News & World Report. 2021-10-26. Archived from the original on 2022-08-09. Retrieved 2022-01-18.
- "国际合作与交流处". ico.tju.edu.cn. Archived from the original on 2022-03-02. Retrieved 2022-03-16.
- "天津大学-环境学院 中-澳中心". www.tju.edu.cn. Archived from the original on 2016-09-18. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- "Sun Guangxin". Forbes. Archived from the original on 24 December 2019. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Bilefsky, Dan (29 January 2021). "A Rare Menu That Tells the Truth: The Pork? Greasy. The Beef? Meh". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Archived from the original on 1 February 2021. Retrieved 1 February 2021.