Tianyuan man (Chinese: t 田園洞人, s 田园洞人, p Tiányuándòng Rén) are the remains of one of the earliest modern humans to inhabit eastern Asia. In 2007, researchers found 34 bone fragments belonging to a single individual at the Tianyuan Cave near Beijing, China. Radiocarbon dating shows the bones to be between 42,000 and 39,000 years old, which may be slightly younger than the only other finds of bones of a similar age at the Niah Caves in Sarawak on Borneo.
Isotope analysis suggests that a substantial part of the diet of these individuals came from freshwater fish.
DNA tests published in 2013 revealed that Tianyuan man is related "to many present-day Asians and Native Americans". He had also clearly diverged genetically from the ancestors of modern Europeans. He belonged to mitochondrial DNA haplogroup B.
- "Ancient human unearthed in China". BBC news. April 2, 2007. Retrieved February 26, 2011.
- Hu, Y.; Shang, H.; Tong, H.; Nehlich, O.; Liu, W.; Zhao, C.; Yu, J.; Wang, C.; Trinkaus, E.; Richards, M. (Jul 2009). "Stable isotope dietary analysis of the Tianyuan 1 early modern human". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 106 (27): 10971–10974. Bibcode:2009PNAS..10610971H. doi:10.1073/pnas.0904826106. ISSN 0027-8424. PMC . PMID 19581579.
- "A relative from the Tianyuan Cave". Max Planck Society. 2013-01-21.
- "A relative from the Tianyuan Cave: Humans living 40,000 years ago likely related to many present-day Asians and Native Americans". Science Daily. 2013-01-21.
- "DNA Analysis Reveals Common Origin of Tianyuan Humans and Native Americans, Asians". Sci-News. 2013-01-24.
- "Ancient human DNA suggests minimal interbreeding". Science News. 2013-01-21.
- "Ancient Bone DNA Shows Ancestry of Modern Asians & Native Americans". Caving News. 2013-01-31.
- Tianyuan, mtDNA B and the formation of Far Eastern peoples
- Yang, M.A.; Gao, X.; Theunert, C.; Tong, H.; Aximu-Petri, A.; Nickel, B.; et al. (2017). "40,000-Year-Old Individual from Asia Provides Insight into Early Population Structure in Eurasia". Current Biology. 27 (20): 3202–3208.e9. doi:10.1016/j.cub.2017.09.030.
- Fu, Q.; Meyer, M.; Gao, X.; Stenzel, U.; Burbano, H.A.; Kelso, J.; Paabo, S. (2013). "DNA analysis of an early modern human from Tianyuan Cave, China". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 110 (6): 2223–2227. doi:10.1073/pnas.1221359110. PMC . PMID 23341637.