|Alternative names||carabao milk pudding|
|Place of origin||Philippines|
|Region or state||Pampanga|
|Serving temperature||room temperature, cold|
|Similar dishes||Maja blanca, blancmange, leche flan|
Tibok-tibok, usually anglicized as carabao milk pudding, is a Filipino dessert pudding made primarily from carabao milk and ground soaked glutinous rice (galapong). It originates from the province of Pampanga. It has a soft jelly-like texture and is topped with latik (coconut curds) before serving. It is characteristically creamy white in color and has a delicate sweet and slightly salty flavor. It is very similar to and tastes like the more common maja blanca, but the latter is made with coconut milk.
The name tibok-tibok literally means "[like a] heartbeat". This is due to the method of determining if the dish is cooked. Once it has reduced to a firm consistency, the bubbles barely break the surface, making it look like it is pulsating.
Tibok-tibok is prepared similarly to maja blanca. Carabao milk is traditionally mixed with a small amount of galapong, ground glutinous rice that has been soaked overnight. It is flavored with a small amount of white sugar and dayap (key lime) zest. It is simmered at low heat while stirring continuously until the mixture thickens. It is immediately poured into a flat pan lined with greased banana leaves and allowed to cool. It can also be poured into molds as desired. It is usually served as square or diamond-shaped slices. It is topped with latik (coconut curds). It is stored in airtight containers to prevent it from drying out.
Carabao milk can be substituted with whole fat cow's milk in areas where it is not available. Modern versions might also use rice flour instead of galapong or exclude it altogether and instead use cornstarch.
- "Authentic Tibok Tibok (Carabao's Milk Pudding)". Foxy Folksy. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- "Tibok Tibok Recipe". Global Granary. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- "Tibok-Tibok Recipe". Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- "Tibok-Tibok". Kawaling Pinoy. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- "Tibok-Tibok (Carabao's Milk Pudding)". Kawaling Pinoy Tasty Recipes. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- "Pampanga's Tibok-tibok (Carabao's Milk Pudding)". Atbp.ph. Retrieved 17 December 2018.