Tibotec is a pharmaceutical company with a focus on research and development for the treatment of infectious diseases such as HIV (AIDS), and Hepatitis C. The company develops antiretroviral drugs for the treatment of AIDS.
In 1994, Rudi Pauwels (Rega Institute for Medical Research) founded Tibotec, together with his wife Carine Claeys, and their first co-workers Marie-Pierre de Béthune, Kurt Hertogs, and Hilde Azijn. In 1995 Paul Stoffels (Janssen Pharmaceutica) joined Tibotec. The company was acquired by Johnson & Johnson in April 2002. The name of the company is derived from the tetrahydro-imidazo[4,5,1-jk][1,4]-benzodiazepine-2(1H)-one and -thione (TIBO) compounds discovered at the Rega Institute for Medical Research (Belgium).
- Darunavir (TMC114, tradename Prezista), a protease inhibitor
- Etravirine (TMC125, tradename Intelence), a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI)
- Bedaquiline (TMC207/R207910, tradename Sirturo), an diarylquinoline anti-tuberculosis drug
- Rilpivirine (TMC278, tradename Edurant), an NNRTI
- Simeprevir (TMC435, tradename Olysio), an HCV NS3/4A protease inhibitor for treatment of chronic hepatitis C in combination with pegylated interferon/ribavirin or with other direct-acting anti-HCV agents.
- Dapivirine (TMC120), an NNRTI licensed to the International Partnership for Microbicides for its development as a vaginal microbicide in March 2004.
- Pauwels R, Andries K, Desmyter J, Schols D, Kukla MJ, Breslin HJ, Raeymaeckers A, Van Gelder J, Woestenborghs R, Heykants J, et al., Potent and selective inhibition of HIV-1 replication in vitro by a novel series of TIBO derivatives, Nature, 1990, 343, 470-474. doi:10.1038/343470a0
- Andries K, Verhasselt P, Guillemont J, et al. (2005), A diarylquinoline drug active on the ATP-synthase of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Science 307 (5707): 223–27
- Zeuzem S, Berg T, Gane E, et al. (2012). TMC435 in HCV Genotype 1 Patients Who Have Failed Previous Pegylated Interferon/Ribavirin Treatment: Final SVR24 Results of the ASPIRE Trial. 47th Annual Meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. Barcelona, April 18–22, 2012. Abstract 2.
|This article about a medical, pharmaceutical or biotechnological corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|