Arnold in 2008
Tichina Rolanda Arnold
June 28, 1969
Queens, New York, U.S.
|Education||Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School|
(m. 1991; div. 1995)
(m. 2012; div. 2016)
|Partner(s)||Carvin Haggins (2002–2007)|
|Associated acts||Tisha Campbell|
Tichina Rolanda Arnold (born June 28, 1969) is an American actress, comedian and singer. She began her career as a child actor, appearing in supporting roles in Little Shop of Horrors (1986) and How I Got into College (1989) before being cast as Pamela "Pam" James on the FOX sitcom Martin, which she played from 1992 until the show ended in 1997. Arnold also played the family matriarch Rochelle on the UPN/CW sitcom Everybody Hates Chris from 2005 to 2009, and portrayed Judi Mann in the TV Land original sitcom Happily Divorced from 2011 to 2013. From 2014 to 2017, she played the lead role of Cassie Calloway on Survivor's Remorse.
Arnold was born in Queens, New York, to a middle-class African-American family. Her mother was a sanitation department worker and her father was a police officer. She was raised in the Church of God in Christ. She attended the Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts.
Film and television
In 1986, Arnold appeared as Crystal, one of the three chorus girls who perform R&B numbers in Frank Oz's film musical Little Shop of Horrors (1986) along with future Martin co-star Tisha Campbell. Arnold was only fifteen at the time of filming, and her career continued steadily after that, with a role or two almost every year, including the films How I Got into College and the Paul Mazursky/Woody Allen collaboration Scenes from a Mall (1991). In February 1987 Arnold scored her first big break on television, with a permanent role on the soap opera Ryan's Hope. Her critically lauded role, as young heroine Zena Brown, landed her a Daytime Emmy Award nomination in 1988. She continued in the role until the series ended in January 1989. Later that year, Arnold was cast as Sharla Valentine, a high-school friend of Emily Ann Sago (played by Liz Vassey) on the ABC-TV daytime drama All My Children. She continued in the role until 1991.
Arnold's best-known television role was Pamela James on Martin Lawrence's sitcom Martin (1992–1997). She also played the recurring role of Nicole Barnes on the sitcom One on One. In 2000, she was reunited with Martin Lawrence in Big Momma's House. In 2007, she again reunited with Lawrence (this time as his character's wife) in the big screen road comedy/buddy film Wild Hogs. In 2003, she appeared in Civil Brand. Arnold played the role of the matriarch, Rochelle, on the sitcom Everybody Hates Chris which premiered in September 2005 and ended in May 2009. In a departure from her known comedic roles, she played the title role in The Lena Baker Story (2008), which was about the first and only woman to be executed by the electric chair in Georgia.
Arnold also played the voice of the friend in The Boondocks, episode "Attack of the Killer Kung-fu Wolf Bitch" which aired in 2007. In 2009, Arnold appeared onstage in The Wiz revival at the New York City Center in the part of Evillene, The Wicked Witch of the West. In 2010 she guest starred in the one-hour episode premiere of the Disney XD Original Series Pair of Kings as Aunt Nancy, and also reprise her role for one more episode.
In 1998, Arnold started her own company of designer headgear called "China Moon Rags". The headbands were Swarovski crystal-embroidered bandanas. Celebrities such as her best friend Michel'le, Tisha Campbell, Janet Jackson, Vivica A. Fox, Regina King, Christina Aguilera and LisaRaye McCoy have modeled and been seen wearing Arnold's designs. When her daughter was born, she stopped production.
Arnold has a daughter, Alijah Kai Haggins (born March 16, 2004), with music producer Carvin Haggins. In an interview with Joan Rivers, Arnold revealed that she had thought she was unable to conceive after bouts with endometriosis.
On August 18, 2012, Arnold married St. Johns Men's Basketball assistant coach and former Golden State Warriors assistant coach DaRico Hines in Honolulu, Hawaii. In January 2016, Arnold's representative confirmed she and Hines were divorcing.
|1983||The Brass Ring||Mary|
|1984||The House of Dies Drear||Pesty|
|1986||Little Shop of Horrors||Crystal|
|1988||Starlight: A Musical Movie||Evelyn Ruth|
|1989||How I Got into College||Vera Cook|
|1990||Scenes From a Mall||Ticket Seller|
|1997||Fakin' Da Funk||Tracy|
|1999||A Luv Tale|
|2000||Dancing in September||Robber|
|2000||Big Momma's House||Ritha|
|2002||Yo Alien||Ray Goods|
|2005||Preaching to the Choir||Desiree|
|2005||Getting Played||Woman in Restaurant|
|2007||Wild Hogs||Karen Davis|
|2008||Drillbit Taylor||Photography Teacher|
|2008||Hope & Redemption: The Lena Baker Story||Lena Baker|
|2009||Dance Flick||Ray's Mamma|
|2012||Stolen Child||Claudia||Television film|
|2012||The Great Divide||Tosha|
|2014||More to Love||Margo|
|2014||A Day Late and a Dollar Short||Charlotte||Television film|
|2014||Top Five||Theatre Manager|
|2015||Royal Family Thanksgiving||Chevonne||Television film|
|2015||Royal Family Christmas||Chevonne||Television film|
|2019||The Last Black Man in San Francisco||Wanda|
|1987–1989||Ryan's Hope||Zena Brown|
|1989||The Cosby Show||Delores||Episode: "Theo's Women"|
|1990||Law & Order||Leona||Episode: "Out of the Half-Light"|
|1991||All My Children||Sharla Valentine|
|1992–1997||Martin||Pamela "Pam" James||Main role (132 episodes)|
|1998||The Jamie Foxx Show||Carla||Episode: "Soul Mate to Cellmate"|
|1999||Pacific Blue||Dana Brown||Episode: "Ghost Town"|
|1999||The Norm Show||Mrs. Murphy||Episode: "Norm vs. the Boxer"|
|2001–2005||One on One||Nicole Barnes||Recurring role (15 episodes)|
|2002||Soul Food||Adina||Episode: "Past Imperfect"|
|2004||Listen Up||Kiara||Episode: "Thanksgiving"|
|2005–2009||Everybody Hates Chris||Rochelle||Main role (88 episodes)|
|2007||The Boondocks||Nicole (voice)||Episode: "Attack of the Killer Kung-Fu Wolf Bitch"|
|2009||Sherri||Russell's Mamma||Episode: "Pilot"|
|2010||Pair of Kings||Aunt Nancy||2 episodes|
|2011||Raising Hope||Sylvia||3 episodes|
|2011||Are We There Yet?||Vicky Howard||Episode: "The Fight Party Episode"|
|2011, 2013||Let's Stay Together||Dr. Knotts||2 episodes|
|2011–2013||Happily Divorced||Judi Mann||Main role (34 episodes)|
|2014||Hit the Floor||Mary Roman||2 episodes|
|2014||Celebrity Wife Swap||Herself||Episode: "Tichina Arnold/Kelly Packard"|
|2014–2017||Survivor's Remorse||Cassie Calloway||Main role (36 episodes)|
|2015||Black Dynamite||Honeybee's Singing Voice||Episode: "The Wizard of Watts"|
|2016||The Eric Andre Show||Herself||Episode: "Tichina Arnold/Steve Schirripa"|
|2017||Daytime Divas||Mo Evans||7 episodes|
|2018–present||The Neighborhood||Tina Butler||Main role|
Awards and nominations
|1988||Daytime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Ingenue in a Drama Series||Ryan's Hope||Nominated|
|1989||Soap Opera Digest Awards||Outstanding Female Newcomer: Daytime||Nominated|
|1996||Image Awards||Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series||Martin||Won|
|2006||BET Awards||Best Actress||Herself||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||TV - Choice Parental Unit||Everybody Hates Chris||Won|
|TV - Choice Actress: Comedy||Nominated|
|Image Awards||Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series||Won|
- "Tichina Arnold". Biography.com. The Biography Channel. Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- Staff, Hollywood.com (2015-02-06). "Tichina Arnold | Biography and Filmography | 1969". Hollywood.com. Retrieved 2017-06-30.
- ""Another day of press."". Periscope. Tichina Arnold. Retrieved 16 August 2017.
- "TICHINA ARNOLD on Instagram: "The look on my face when I realized that TODAY, Thursday, June 28th is the FIRST DAY of my LAST YEAR in my 40's... #49yearsOld Aaaagh! So…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- Burton, Valorie. Listen to Your Life Spotlight: Tichina Arnold. Blackamericaweb. December 20, 2004.
- Arnold, Tichina. "Episode 12: Tichina Arnold". In Bed With Joan (Interview). Interviewed by Joan Rivers.
|url=(help) Video on YouTube.
- Taylor, Clarke (January 3, 1987). "'Little Shop' Turns Into A Delight For Doo-wop Trio". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Nathan Southern "Allmovie"
- Barker, Andrew (June 7, 2006). "Tichina Arnold, 'Everybody Hates Chris'". Variety. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- Isherwood, Charles (June 18, 2009). "Not in Kansas, or This Century: Back on That Road to the '70s". The New York Times. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- Star, Tyrell "Tichina Arnold’s New TV Show Pilot Happily Divorced"[permanent dead link], Tyrell Star, February 1, 2011.
- China Moon Rags pag
- September 2005 Interview Archived 2011-07-24 at the Wayback Machine. Thecrusade.net. Retrieved on 2011-09-16.
- Essence Magazine 2008 Interview. Realgossip101.blogspot.com (2008-01-29). Retrieved on 2011-09-16.
- Jet Magazine Birth Announcement. Findarticles.com (April 12, 2004). Retrieved on September 16, 2011.
- "Actress Tichina Arnold Honored with Celebrity Baby Shower in Beverly Hills". Jet: 60. March 8, 2004 – via Google Books.
- "Actress Tichina Arnold Talks Upcoming Wedding + Shows Off Her Engagement Ring!". theballerlife.com. The Baller Life. August 5, 2011. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- Chiu, Wendy (January 14, 2016). "Tichina Arnold and Rico Hines Divorce". People.com. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- Anderson, Tre'vell (October 6, 2015). "Tichina Arnold on 'Survivor's Remorse,' 'Martin' and her lupus foundation". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- "The House of Dies Drear (1984)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved March 4, 2017.