Ticket to the Moon
|"Ticket to the Moon"|
|Single by Electric Light Orchestra|
|from the album Time|
|A-side||"Here Is the News"|
|Released||11 December 1981 (US)
9 January 1982 (UK)
|Format||7" single, 12" single|
|Recorded||1981, Musicland Studios, Munich, Germany|
|Electric Light Orchestra singles chronology|
|Time track listing|
It was track four on the album Time (1981) and was released as a Double A along with "Here Is the News" in January 1982, reaching number 24 in the UK charts. The song is somewhat reminiscent of their earlier output, featuring grand piano and more strings than their past few singles. Rainer Pietsch conducted the strings on the song. The promo video featured Mik Kaminski on violin.
The single was also released as a limited edition 12" picture disc showing the ELO spaceship. The same image was later used as the sleeve design for the UK follow up single "The Way Life's Meant to Be".
The name was used for a compilation album in 2007, Ticket to the Moon: The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra Volume 2.
- Jeff Lynne - Acoustic & electric guitars, lead & backing vocals
- Bev Bevan - Drums
- Richard Tandy - Acoustic piano, synthesizers
- Kelly Groucutt - Bass guitar, backing vocals
- Rainer Pietsch Orchestra arranger and conductor
|Chart (1982)||Peak position|
|French SNEP Singles Chart||4|
|German Media Control Singles Chart||61|
|Irish Singles Chart||17|
|UK Singles Chart||24|
- "Electric Light Orchestra". Offfical Charts Company. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 6 March 2013. Enter Electric Light Orchestra in the Search by Artist field, then click Search.