|Birth name||Tierney Sutton|
|Born||June 28, 1963|
A five-time Grammy Nominee for "Best Jazz Vocal Album" as well as for arranging, she was Jazzweek Vocalist of the Year in 2005," Sutton was born in Omaha, Nebraska, and was educated at Wesleyan University in Middletown, Connecticut and the Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts. Prior to attending Wesleyan, Tierney Sutton attended Nicolet High School in the Milwaukee metro area.
For the past 20 years, Sutton has fronted the Tierney Sutton Band featuring pianist Christian Jacob, bassists Trey Henry and Kevin Axt, and drummer Ray Brinker. The band is an incorporated unit and makes all musical as well business decisions together. They tour throughout the world and have headlined in recent years at Carnegie Hall, The Hollywood Bowl and Jazz at Lincoln Center. For 11 years, Sutton taught in the Jazz Studies Department at the University of Southern California. In 2008, she became the Vocal Department Chair at Los Angeles Music Academy in Pasadena, California.
She has been a Baha'i since 1981 and explains her band's arranging style as "based on the principle of consultation--the band is very much run on Baha'i principles. There is very much a sense that what we do is essentially a spiritual thing and everyone's voice needs to be heard." She has recently also been performing in a trio format with flautist Hubert Laws and guitarist Larry Koonse.
- 1998 - Introducing Tierney Sutton
- 2000 - Unsung Heroes
- 2001 - Blue in Green
- 2002 - Something Cool
- 2004 - Dancing in the Dark
- 2005 - I'm with the Band
- 2007 - On the Other Side
- 2009 - Desire
- 2011 - American Road (released by BFM Jazz)
- 2011 - Grade 3 featured on the Shine On! Volume One album. (Released September 30, 2011)
- 2013 - After Blue (released by BFM Jazz)
- 2014 - Paris Sessions
- J.T. Hall (2011-01-19). "Improv Night in Utica". Syracusenewtimes.com. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- Tierney Sutton Plays Birdland, Cabaret.broadwayworld.com. By Stephen Sorokoff. 30 Jan. 2012. Retrieved same date.
- "Tierney Sutton Band never performs the same concert twice - Entertainment / Neon - ReviewJournal.com". Lvrj.com. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- Baber, Cassaundra. "Tierney Sutton Band knows what it takes to stay together - Hanover, MA - Hanover Mariner". Wickedlocal.com. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- Janine Yaqoob. "Jazz stars announced for Southport Winter Weekend". Southport Visiter. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- "She's with the band - February 17, 2006". Belltown.typepad.com. 2006-02-17. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- "Two Baha'i musicians receive Grammy nominations - February 2, 2006". News.bahai.org. 2006-02-02. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- "Julian Lennon, Tin Cup Gypsy, Donna Burke, Mark Ballas, Maxi Priest, Wendy Parr, Monday Michiru, Amber Lily, Tierney Sutton, Rie Fu and Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band – Shine On! Songs Volume One". Discogs. 7 October 2011. Retrieved 30 October 2011.