June 28, 1963 |
Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.
|Genres||Jazz, vocal jazz|
Tierney Sutton (born June 28, 1963) is an American jazz singer who has received multiple Grammy Award nominations.
For 20 years, she has led the Tierney Sutton Band featuring pianist Christian Jacob, bassists Trey Henry and Kevin Axt, and drummer Ray Brinker. The band is an incorporated unit and makes all musical and business decisions together. They tour throughout the world and have headlined in recent years[when?] at Carnegie Hall, The Hollywood Bowl and Jazz at Lincoln Center. For 11 years, Sutton taught in the Jazz Studies Department at the University of Southern California. In 2008, she became the Vocal Department Chair at Los Angeles Music Academy in Pasadena, California.
She has been a Baha'i since 1981 and explains her band's arranging style as "based on the principle of consultation – the band is very much run on Baha'i principles. There is very much a sense that what we do is essentially a spiritual thing and everyone's voice needs to be heard." She has recently also been performing in a trio format with flautist Hubert Laws and guitarist Larry Koonse.
- 1998 - Introducing Tierney Sutton (Challenge)
- 2000 - Unsung Heroes (Telarc)
- 2001 - Blue in Green (Telarc)
- 2002 - Something Cool (Telarc)
- 2004 - Dancing in the Dark (Telarc)
- 2005 - I'm with the Band (Telarc)
- 2007 - On the Other Side (Telarc)
- 2009 - Desire (Telarc)
- 2011 - American Road (BFM)
- 2013 - After Blue (BFM)
- 2014 - Paris Sessions (Varèse Sarabande)
- 2016 - The Sting Variations (BFM)
- 2011 - '"Grade 3", Shine On! Volume One. (Released September 30, 2011)
- Tierney Sutton Plays Birdland, Cabaret.broadwayworld.com. By Stephen Sorokoff. 30 Jan. 2012. Retrieved same date.
- "Tierney Sutton Band never performs the same concert twice - Entertainment / Neon - ReviewJournal.com". Lvrj.com. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- Baber, Cassaundra. "Tierney Sutton Band knows what it takes to stay together - Hanover, MA - Hanover Mariner". Wickedlocal.com. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- Janine Yaqoob. "Jazz stars announced for Southport Winter Weekend". Southport Visiter. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- "She's with the band - February 17, 2006". Belltown.typepad.com. 2006-02-17. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- "Two Baha'i musicians receive Grammy nominations - February 2, 2006". News.bahai.org. 2006-02-02. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- "Exploring The GRAMMYs' Jazz Field Nominees". The GRAMMYs. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- "2017 Grammy Awards: Complete list of nominees". December 6, 2016. Retrieved December 6, 2016.
- "Julian Lennon, Tin Cup Gypsy, Donna Burke, Mark Ballas, Maxi Priest, Wendy Parr, Monday Michiru, Amber Lily, Tierney Sutton, Rie Fu and Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band – Shine On! Songs Volume One". Discogs. 7 October 2011. Retrieved 30 October 2011.