|Known for||National Geographic Explorer|
Tierney Thys (born 1966) is an American marine biologist, science educator, and National Geographic explorer. In 1988 she earned a degree in biology from Brown University, and in 1998 she earned a doctorate in biomechanics. She was formerly the director of research at the Sea Studios Foundation. She was also the science editor for The Shape of Life and director for Strange Days on Planet Earth. She has also written, narrated and produced short films. Since 2000 she and her colleagues have been studying the giant ocean sunfish (mola). In 2004 she was named a National Geographic "Emerging Explorer". She has since joined National Geographic expeditions and developed a National Geographic children's television conservation series.
A chapter of Earth Heroes: Champions of the Ocean, by Fran Hodgkins, is about her, and she is briefly profiled in Girls Research!: Amazing Tales of Female Scientists. Science Methods and Process Skills: Meet Tierney Thys, National Geographic Emerging Explorer, by Kathy Cabe Trundle, was published by National Geographic School Publishing in 2011. A virtual aquarium in the educational game Animal Jam is named after her.
She is a certified pilot and diver.
- Fran Hodgkins (22 June 2012). Earth Heroes: Champions of the Ocean. Dawn Publications. pp. 123–. ISBN 978-1-58469-469-4.
- "National Geographic explorer Tierney Thys shines new light on ocean life - Earth Science | siliconrepublic.com - Ireland's Technology News Service". siliconrepublic.com. Retrieved 2015-06-13.
- "National Geographic's Strange Days on Planet Earth . Troubled Waters . Tierney Thys, PhD". PBS. Retrieved 2015-06-13.
- "Tierney Thys | Speaker". TED.com. Retrieved 2015-06-13.
- "Meet Tierney Thys". Oceansunfish.org. Retrieved 2015-06-13.
- Jennifer Phillips (1 January 2014). Girls Research!: Amazing Tales of Female Scientists. Capstone. pp. 19–. ISBN 978-1-4765-4056-6.
- Bell, Randy L.; Trundle, Kathy Cabe (2011). Science Methods and Process Skills: Meet Tierney Thys, National Geographic ... - Kathy Cabe Trundle, National Geographic Society (U.S.) - Google Books. ISBN 9780736277105. Retrieved 2015-06-13.
- "Tierney Thys, Marine Biologist/Filmmaker Information, Facts, News, Photos". National Geographic. Archived from the original on January 13, 2012. Retrieved 2015-06-13.