|Commenced operations||26 September 2014|
|Hubs||Taoyuan International Airport|
|Parent company||China Airlines Group (100%)|
No3., Alley 123, Lane 405, Tunghwa N. Rd., Taipei,
|Key people||Kwan Yue (CEO)|
Tigerair Taiwan (Chinese: 臺灣虎航; pinyin: Táiwān Hǔháng) is a low-cost carrier (LCC) based at Taoyuan International Airport. The airline has a fleet of ten aircraft as of March 2017. It was now sole Taiwan-based LCC. It was formed as a joint venture between China Airlines Group and Budget Aviation Holdings.
Prior to 2016, China Airlines held 80 percent of the share while Budget Aviation Holdings and Mandarin Airlines each held 10 percent. In 2017, as Tigerair Singapore merged into Scoot, CAPA reported that China Airlines had purchased Budget Aviation Holdings' 10% stake, leaving China Airlines and its subsidiary Mandarin Airlines as joint owners of the airline.
This section does not cite any sources. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Taiwan was the last major market in Asia to have a low-cost carrier (LCC). In early 2013, China Airlines and Transasia Airways became the first Taiwanese carriers to express interest in forming an LCC. The further reduction in entry barriers by the Civil Aeronautics Administration made it favorable for the creation of LCCs.
In October 2013, China Airlines chairman Sun Hung-Hsiang announced that the airline was in talks with a foreign LCC to start a LCC based in Taiwan. The partnership was made public in December 2013 when China Airlines created a new joint venture with Singaporean low-cost carrier Tigerair to establish Tigerair Taiwan. As part of the deal, China Airlines would hold a 90 percent share in the new carrier with Tiger Airways Holdings owning the other 10 percent. In March 2014, China Airlines subsidiary Mandarin Airlines took over 10% of its parent company's share in Tigerair Taiwan.
In September 2014, Tigerair Taiwan received an Air Operator's Certificate from the Civil Aeronautics Administration. The airline then commenced operations on 26 September 2014, with the first flight being from Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport to Singapore Changi Airport.
All Tigerair Taiwan aircraft wear the Tigerair group livery along while having the words "TAIWAN" painted onto the rear of the fuselage. The airline is the first international carrier to have the word 'Taiwan' as part of a corporate livery or a company name.
Tigerair Taiwan serves the following destinations:
As of March 2017 the Tigerair Taiwan fleet consists of the following aircraft:
- Chen, Ted. "Tigerair Taiwan Returned to Profit Last Month: CAL." Tigerair Taiwan Returned to Profit Last Month: CAL Taipei Times, 16 Feb. 2017. Web. 16 Mar. 2017
- "Tigerair Taiwan Fleet Details and history". Planespotters. 14 March 2017. Retrieved 22 May 2017.
- Shih, Kai-Chin. "LCC War Kicks Off In Taiwan: Tigerair Taiwan and V Air Ready To Take To The Skies". talkairlines. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Tigerair Singapore 2017 outlook: fleet expansion resumes as brand disappears, transit traffic grows". Centre for Aviation. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- "tigerair Taiwan adds Wuxi service from Sep 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- "tigerair Taiwan Adds Hakodate Flights from August 2016". routesonline. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "tigerair Taiwan to Start Taipei - Okinawa Service from late-June 2015". Airlineroute.net. 20 May 2015.
- "tigerair Taiwan Adds Okayama Service from July 2016". routesonline. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- "Tigerair Taiwan to Start Taipei - Osaka Service from July 2015". Airlineroute.net. 28 May 2015. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- "tigerair Taiwan Plans Sendai Service from late-June 2016". airlineroute. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "tigerair Taiwan to Start Taipei Taoyuan - Tokyo Haneda Flights from late-Dec 2015". Airlineroute.net. 5 November 2015. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- "台灣虎航4月2日開航桃園-東京成田". CNYES.com. CNYES.com. Archived from the original on 3 April 2015. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- News, ABS-CBN. "Tigerair Taiwan announces Cebu-Taipei flights with seat sale". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2018-10-24.
- "tigerair Taiwan plans Busan launch in Jan 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "tigerair Taiwan Adds Taipei – Daegu Service from May 2016". airlineroute. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- "tigerair Taiwan adds Jeju flights from Mar 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 17 February 2017.
- "Tigerair Taiwan destinations".