Muhammad-Bande in 2019
|President of the 74th UN General Assembly|
17 September 2019 – 15 September 2020
|Preceded by||María Fernanda Espinosa|
|Succeeded by||Volkan Bozkir|
|Nigerian Ambassador to the United Nations|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Joy Ogwu|
|Director General of the National Institute |
for Policy and Strategic Studies
April 2010 – February 2016
|Vice Chancellor of the Usman Danfodio University|
|Born||7 December 1957|
Zagga, Northern Region,
(now Zagga, Kebbi, Nigeria)
|Alma mater||Ahmadu Bello University (B.Sc)|
Boston University (M.A)
University of Toronto (Ph.D)
Tijjani Muhammad-Bande OFR (born 7 December 1957) is a Nigerian diplomat, academic and political scientist. He was the President of the United Nations General Assembly since 17 September 2019. He previously served as Vice President from September 2016.
He is also the Nigerian Ambassador to the United Nations. From 2010 to 2016, he was the director general of the National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies in Kuru, and was the Vice Chancellor of the Usmanu Danfodio University from 2004 to 2009.
He attended Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria where he received a bachelors degree in political science in 1979 before proceeding to Boston University, where he graduated with a Master of Arts in Political Science in 1981. Muhammad-Bande received a Ph.D in Political Science from the University of Toronto in 1987.
In the 1980s, he taught at the Usman Danfodio University in Sokoto and rose to the rank of professor in 1998. Between 2000 to 2004, Bande served as the Director-General of the African Training and Research Centre in Administration for Development in Tangier, Morocco. Between 2004 and 2009, he served as Vice Chancellor of Usman Danfodio University before being appointed Director-General of Nigeria's National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, a position he held from 2010 to 2016.
He is married with four children and his hobbies include swimming, football, field hockey, farming and music.
- "Profile of Professor Tijjani Muhammad-Bande" (PDF). un.org. United Nations. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Muhammad Bande emerges UNGA President". Daily Trust. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "Tijjani Muhammad-Bande". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- "Tijjani Muhammad-Bande: 7 things you need to know about Nigerian diplomatic appointed as new President of United Nations General Assembly". www.pulse.ng. 2019-06-04. Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- Admin, Web. "Ambassador/Permanent Representative". Permanent Mission of Nigeria to the United Nations, New York. Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- "Quick Fact about New Nigeria's Ambassador to UN, Bande". Sahara Reporters. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Nigerian professor, Muhammad-Bande, appointed president of UN General Assembly". ICIR Nigeria. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- "Professor Tijjani Bande Announced As President, UN General Assembly". Sahara Reporters. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- Osso, Sera (2019-11-28). "MUHAMMAD-BANDE, H.E, Prof. (Amb.) Tijjani". Biographical Legacy and Research Foundation. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
María Fernanda Espinosa
| President of the United Nations General Assembly