Sumpter in 2013
|Born||Euphemia L. Sumpter
June 20, 1980
Queens, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||Marymount Manhattan College|
|Partner(s)||Nicholas James (e. 2017)|
Tika Sumpter (born Euphemia L. Sumpter; June 20, 1980) is an American actress, producer, television host, and model. Sumpter began her career as host of the N network reality series, Best Friend's Date (2004—2005), and in 2005 landed the role of Layla Williamson in the ABC daytime soap opera, One Life to Live where she starred regularly through 2010. In the same year, Sumpter made her movie debut in her leading female role in the musical drama Stomp the Yard: Homecoming. She later had recurring roles as Raina Thorpe in The CW teen drama Gossip Girl, and as Jenna Rice in the BET sitcom The Game.
Sumpter was later featured in supporting roles for What's Your Number? (2011) and Think Like a Man (2012), before starring in Sparkle (2012) and A Madea Christmas (2013). In 2013, Sumpter began her role as Candace Young, the leading character on the Oprah Winfrey Network primetime soap opera, The Haves and the Have Nots. Sumpter later played Angela Payton in the comedy films Ride Along (2014) and Ride Along 2 (2016), Yvonne Fair in the biopic Get On Up (2014), and Michelle Robinson Obama in the romantic comedy-drama Southside with You (2016).
Sumpter was born in Queens, New York City. She was a cheerleader at her high school. She graduated from Longwood Senior High School in Middle Island, New York and studied at Marymount Manhattan College where she majored in communications.
Sumpter began her modeling career and appeared in commercials for Hewlett-Packard and Liz Claiborne's Curve fragrances. She also worked as a waitress before acting. In 2004, she served as the co-host for the N network series Best Friend's Date. The following year she landed the role of Layla Williamson in the ABC daytime soopera, One Life to Live. For her portrayal of Layla, Sumpter was nominated for an NAACP Image Award for Best Actress in a Daytime Drama Series in 2008. She first appeared on-screen on July 15, 2005, playing the role regularly through September 14, 2010. Sumpter reappeared in the role on November 9–10, 2010, and January 21 and 24, 2011.
In 2010, Sumpter made her film debut in Stomp the Yard: Homecoming on the female lead role, and in the same year appeared in Salt. From January to May 2011, Sumpter appeared in The CW teen drama series, Gossip Girl as Raina Thorpe, the daughter of Russell Thorpe and Chuck Bass/Nate' former love interest. She played singer Jason Derülo's girlfriend in the video for his song "It Girl". In 2011, she appeared as lead character friend in the romantic comedy film What's Your Number?. From 2011 to 2012 she also had a recurring role as Jenna Rice in the BET comedy series, The Game.
On September 13, 2011, it was announced that Sumpter would be playing one of the sisters, Deloris, in the music-themed film Sparkle alongside Jordin Sparks, Whitney Houston, Derek Luke and Carmen Ejogo. Sparkle is a remake of the 1976 film of the same name inspired by the story of The Supremes. The remake was set in 1968 Detroit, during the rise of Motown. The story focused on the youngest sister, a music prodigy named Sparkle Williams (Jordin Sparks), and her struggle to become a star while overcoming issues that are tearing her family apart. R&B singer Aaliyah was originally planned to star as Sparkle; however following her death in a 2001 plane crash, production on the film stopped. Production would have begun in 2002. Sparkle was filmed in the fall of 2011 over a two-month period. The film, which co-stars Sumpter, was released in the United States on August 17, 2012. On May 21, 2012, "Celebrate", the last song Whitney Houston recorded with Sparks, premiered at RyanSeacrest.com. The song is the first official single featured on the Sparkle: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack album which Sumpter is a part of. The accompanying music video for Celebrate was filmed on May 30, 2012 and the video featured herself and the rest of her Sparkle cast mates .
After Sparkle, Sumpter starred in the independent comedy film My Man Is a Loser written and directed by comedian Mike Young. Filmed in 2012, My Man Is a Loser received release on July 25, 2014, by Lionsgate. In 2013 she appeared in the Christmas comedy-drama film A Madea Christmas by Tyler Perry. In same year, Sumpter began starring as Candace Young, a lead villainess, in the Oprah Winfrey Network soapy drama series The Haves and the Have Nots, also created by Tyler Perry. The series received negative reviews from critics, like other of Perry's works, but was the biggest hit in ratings for Oprah Winfrey Network, to date.
Sumpter played the female lead in Ride Along, the 2014 action comedy film directed by Tim Story, opposite Kevin Hart and Ice Cube. She returned to the role in its sequel Ride Along 2, released on January 15, 2016. She played Yvonne Fair in Get On Up, the biographical drama film about James Brown. In same year she co-starred opposite Queen Latifah, Mo'Nique, and Khandi Alexander in the HBO biographical film Bessie about the iconic blues singer Bessie Smith.
Sumpter played young Michelle Obama in the romantic comedy-drama film Southside with You, a biopic about the early romance between Barack and Michelle Obama. The film premiered at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival and received positive reviews from critics. Sumpter also co-produced the film. She received positive reviews for her performance. Variety placed her in its list of one of the "Biggest Breakthrough Performances" at Sundance, writing in its review, "It’s a tall order to bring a living, breathing icon to life. But that’s just what Sumpter does, checking in with America’s First Lady before she ever landed at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Playing Michelle Robinson when she was just an up-and-coming corporate lawyer, Sumpter slowly lets her guard down, allowing an idealistic Barack Obama to charm her into going to an art show, a community gathering and a Spike Lee film."
On October 7, 2016, it was announced that Sumpter would be playing a leading role and co-executive produce political drama The 313 for CBS. She will play Mayor of Detroit in show. She also will star alongside Taraji P. Henson in Tyler Perry's comedy-drama film Acrimony.
In March 2017, Sumpter was cast alongside Casey Affleck, Danny Glover, Sissy Spacek and Robert Redford in The Old Man And The Gun directing by David Lowery. In June 2017, she began filming of The Pages, a political thriller written and directed by Joe Chappelle starring alongside Jamie Lee Curtis.
|2009||Brooklyn's Finest||Neighborhood girl||Uncredited|
|2010||Stomp the Yard: Homecoming||Nikki|
|2011||Whisper Me a Lullaby||Emma|
|2011||What's Your Number?||Jamie|
|2012||Think Like a Man||Dominic's ex-girlfriend|
|2012||Sparkle||Delores "Dee" Anderson|
|2013||Madea Christmas, AA Madea Christmas||Lacey|
|2014||Ride Along||Angela Payton|
|2014||My Man Is a Loser||Clarissa|
|2014||Get On Up||Yvonne Fair||Nominated — Black Reel Award for Best Ensemble|
|2015||You Never Left||Euphemia||Short film|
|2016||Ride Along 2||Angela Payton-Barber|
|2016||Southside with You||Michelle Robinson Obama||Also producer
Nominated — Gotham Award — Audience Award
Nominated — NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture
|2018||The Old Man and the Gun||Maureen||In post-production|
|2018||The Pages||Elizabeth “Libby” Lamm||Filming|
|2004–2005||Best Friend's Date||Herself||Host|
|2005–2011||One Life to Live||Layla Williamson||Series regular, 234 episodes
Role held: July 15, 2005 – January 24, 2011
Nominated—NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Daytime Drama Series (2008)
|2006||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Vegas||Episode: "Class"|
|2011||Gossip Girl||Raina Thorpe||Recurring role, 11 episodes|
|2011–2012||Game, TheThe Game||Jenna Rice||Recurring role, 10 episodes|
|2013||Being Mary Jane||Tonya||Episode: "Pilot"|
|2013–present||Haves and the Have Nots, TheThe Haves and the Have Nots||Candace Young||Series regular|
- "Tika Sumpter". Yahoo Movies. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "Euphemia "Tika" Sumpter". Soapcentral. 2010-04-25. Archived from the original on 2011-01-11. Retrieved 2011-01-11.
- One Life to Live. Season 38. July 15, 2005. American Broadcasting Company.
- One Life to Live. Season 43. 2010–11. American Broadcasting Company. Check date values in:
- "Layla Williamson Character Profile". About.com. IAC. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "On The Set- new YBF chick tika sumpter films scenes for gossip girl". THEYBF. 2011-01-05. Archived from the original on 2011-01-11. Retrieved 2011-01-11.
- "New Music: Jason Derulo – 'It Girl'". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. August 3, 2011. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- Kit, Borys (September 12, 2011). "'American Idol's' Jordin Sparks to Star Opposite Whitney Houston in 'Sparkle'". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Sneider, Jeff (September 12, 2011). "Whitney Houston, Jordin Sparks 'Sparkle' for Sony – Entertainment News, Film News, Media". Variety. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Billboard. September 12, 2011. Retrieved September 18, 2011
- Hibberd, James (September 12, 2011). "Whitney Houston circling 'Sparkle' musical remake with Jordin Sparks". Inside Movies – EW.com. Entertainment Weekly Inc. Retrieved January 2, 2012.
- Kit, Borys (September 12, 2011). "Whitney Houston in Talks to Star in Music-Themed Drama 'Sparkle' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Sneider, Jeff (2011-09-23). "Cee-Lo Green joins 'Sparkle' cast – Entertainment News, Top News, Media". Variety. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- Ballhorn, Kelly (May 21, 2012). "WORLD PREMIERE: Whitney Houston & Jordin Sparks Duet ‘Celebrate’ From ‘Sparkle’ [AUDIO]". ryanseacrest.com. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "Tika Sumpter on Twitter: "Havin a fun day/nite on#celebrate video w @JordinSparks @carmenejogo @BrelyEvans @TheRealMikeEpps @DebraMChase @actorderekluke @omarihardwic"". Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Tambay A. Obenson (2 July 2012). "Tika Sumpter Joins Michael Rapaport, John Stamos, Bryan C – Shadow and Act". Shadow and Act. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "Exclusive: The Poster for My Man is a Loser, Featuring John Stamos". Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "Chad Michael Murray, Larry the Cable Guy Joining Tyler Perry's 'Madea Christmas' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. 10 January 2013. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "'The Haves And The Have Nots': Meet Tyler Perry's TV Show Characters". The Huffington Post. May 25, 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "About Tyler Perry's The Haves and the Have Nots". Oprah.com. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Michael O'Connell (29 May 2013). "TV Ratings: Tyler Perry Premiere Gives OWN a Record Launch". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "OWN’s ‘The Haves & The Have Nots’ Returns With Series & Network High – Deadline". Deadline. 8 January 2014. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "Tyler Perry's 'Haves and the Have Nots' Finale Is OWN's Most-Watched Program Ever – TheWrap". TheWrap. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Tambay A. Obenson (31 October 2012). "Tika Sumpter, Jay Pharoah, John Leguizamo, Bryan Callen W – Shadow and Act". Shadow and Act. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "Ice Cube and Kevin Hart's 'Ride Along' to Open Over MLK Weekend in 2014". The Hollywood Reporter. 31 October 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "Tika Sumpter Cast In James Brown Biopic 'Get On Up'; Boyd Kestner, Natalie Imbruglia Topline Indie Comedy 'Little Loopers' – Deadline". Deadline. 15 November 2013. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Tambay A. Obenson (15 November 2013). "Tika Sumpter Joins Cast Of Universal’s James Brown Biopic – Shadow and Act". Shadow and Act. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "Charles S. Dutton & Mike Epps Join HBO Films’ Bessie Smith Biopic". Deadline. 10 June 2014. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Tambay A. Obenson (10 June 2014). "Charles S. Dutton, Tika Sumpter, Mike Epps Join Cast of D – Shadow and Act". Shadow and Act. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Tambay A. Obenson (5 December 2014). "Tika Sumpter Will Play Michelle Obama in 'Before Sunset'- – Shadow and Act". Shadow and Act. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- Jen Yamato. "Barack & Michelle Obama First Date Movie In Works – Deadline". Deadline. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "Southside With You". 25 January 2016. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- Variety Staff. "Sundance Film Festival 2016: 19 Biggest Breakout Stars – Variety". Variety. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "So...Tika Sumpter Unveiled Her BABY BUMP During Her AKA Sorority Induction". Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- Andreeva, Nellie (7 October 2016). "Tika Sumpter To Star In Detroit Mayor CBS Drama Produced By Michael London". Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- Shadowandact (7 October 2016). "Tika Sumpter Sets Up Detroit-Set Mayoral Drama at CBS to Star and Exec Produce". Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Tyler Perry filming in the Pittsburgh area". Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- N'Duka, Amanda (23 March 2017). "Tika Sumpter Joins Casey Affleck In ‘The Old Man And The Gun’". Retrieved 26 March 2017.
- Hipes, Patrick (21 June 2017). "Tika Sumpter & Jamie Lee Curtis To Topline Political Thriller ‘The Pages’". Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- Fisher, Kendall (October 25, 2016). "Tika Sumpter Gives Birth To Daughter Ella-Loren". Eonline.com. Retrieved December 2, 2016.
- Rogo, Paula (January 21, 2017). "Tika Sumpter Is Engaged!". Essence. Time Inc. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- ""Southside with You" Watch 1st clip from movie about the Obamas' first date". Pulse.ng. Chidumga Izuzu. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tika Sumpter.|