|Archbishop of Washington, Metropolitan of All America and Canada|
Then-Bishop Tikhon (right) and Metropolitan Jonah
|Church||Orthodox Church in America|
|Other posts||Archbishop of Philadelphia, Senior Lecturer of Old Testament (St. Tikhon's Seminary), Deputy Abbot, St. Tikhon's Monastery|
|Ordination||1995 (Holy Diaconate), (Holy Priesthood)|
|Consecration||February 14, 2002, May 9, 2012 (elevation to Archbishop), November 13, 2012 (elected Metropolitan)|
|Birth name||Marc R. Mollard|
July 15, 1966 |
|Alma mater||Saint Tikhon's Orthodox Theological Seminary|
Metropolitan Tikhon (secular name Marc R. Mollard; born July 15, 1966, in Boston, Massachusetts) is an Eastern Orthodox bishop and the Primate of the Orthodox Church in America, holding the rank of Metropolitan of All America and Canada. Previously, he was the ruling bishop of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania. He was elected as Metropolitan of the Orthodox Church in America on November 13, 2012 at the 17th All-American Council in Parma, Ohio.
Marc R. Mollard was born in Boston, Massachusetts on July 15, 1966, the oldest of three children born to Francois and Elizabeth Mollard.
After brief periods living in Connecticut, France and Missouri, he and his family settled in Reading, Pennsylvania, where he graduated from Wyomissing Area High School in 1984. In 1988 he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in French and Sociology from Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, after which he moved to Chicago, where he attended services at Ss. Peter and Paul Church (OCA).
In 1989 he was received into the Orthodox Church from the Episcopal Church, and, in the fall of the same year, he began studies at St. Tikhon's Seminary in South Canaan, Pennsylvania. One year later he entered the monastic community at St. Tikhon's Monastery as a novice.
After receiving his Master of Divinity degree from St. Tikhon's in 1993, he was appointed as an instructor in Old Testament Studies there. He continues to serve as senior lecturer in Old Testament, teaching master's-level courses in the prophets and the Psalms and Wisdom Literature. He is also an instructor in the seminary's extension studies program, offering courses in the lives of the Old Testament saints, the liturgical use of the Old Testament, and the Old Testament in patristic literature.
In 1995 he was tonsured to the lesser schema by Archbishop Herman (Swaiko) and given the name Tikhon in honor of St. Tikhon of Moscow. Later that year he was ordained to the Holy Diaconate and Holy Priesthood at St. Tikhon's Monastery. In 1998 he was elevated to the rank of hegumen and in 2000 to the rank of archimandrite.
Archimandrite Tikhon collaborated with Hegumen Alexander (Golitzin) in the publication of "The Living Witness of the Holy Mountain", published by St. Tikhon Seminary Press (1996), by illustrating this classic book about Mount Athos.
In December 2002, he was appointed by Metropolitan Herman to serve as deputy abbot of St. Tikhon's Monastery.
During Fall Session of Synod of OCA on October 20–23, 2003 Archimandrite Tikhon was elected as Bishop of South Canaan and Auxiliary to Metropolitan Herman.
At a special session of the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Orthodox Church in America held on May 27, 2005, Bishop Tikhon of South Canaan was elected Bishop of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania.
For a part of 2011 he was temporary administrator of the Diocese of the Midwest.
- "Archbishop Tikhon elected Metropolitan of All America and Canada".
- "Archbishop Tikhon of Philadelphia elected Metropolitan of the Orthodox Church of America". AnglicanInk. Retrieved November 13, 2012.
- The Living Witness of the Holy Mountain.
- "OCA Holy Synod of Bishops Concludes Fall Session". Orthodox Church of America. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- "Archimandrite Tikhon [Mollard] consecrated to Episcopacy". Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- "Holy Synod elects Bishop Tikhon of South Canaan ruling hierarch of the Diocese of Philadelphia and E - Orthodox Church in America". oca.org. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "Bishop Tikhon to be installed as Orthodox Bishop of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania". Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- "Holy Synod concludes Spring Session".
- Bishop Tikhon installed as ruling hierarch of the Diocese of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania - OCA Web site.
- Office of the Rector
- February Date Set for Episcopal Consecration of Bishop-elect Tikhon
- His Grace, Bishop TIKHON of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania
|Eastern Orthodox Church titles|
|Primate of the Orthodox Church in America