Pine Bluff, Arkansas
|Died||February 23, 1963
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1946||Ole Miss (Backfield)|
|Head coaching record|
After his discharge from the Navy, Campbell returned to Alabama as backfield coach in 1945. In 1946, former Alabama assistant coach Harold Drew, in his first year as head coach, hired Campbell to serve as backfield coach at Ole Miss. When Drew returned to Alabama as head coach in 1947, Campbell followed where he resumed his position as backfield coach and retained it through the 1955 season.
In Spring 1935, Campbell served as manager for the Troy Trojans of the then Dixie Amateur League and lead the squad to the league championship. He resigned his position with Troy in April 1936 after the team became a professional squad as part of the Class D Alabama–Florida League to place his full focus on the Alabama team. During his tenure as head coach, Campbell led Alabama to nine SEC championships and an appearance in the 1950 College World Series en route to an overall record of 344 wins, 158 losses and 4 ties (344–158–4).
On February 23, 1963, Campbell died of a heart attack at his Tuscaloosa home. The following week, athletic director Bear Bryant announced that both Sam Bailey and Hayden Riley would serve as head baseball coach for the 1963 season.
Head coaching record
|Alabama Crimson Tide (Southeastern Conference) (1935–1942)|
|Alabama Crimson Tide (Southeastern Conference) (1947–1962)|
|1947||Alabama||20–7||11–3||NCAA South District III Participant|
|1948||Alabama||18–11||11–5||NCAA South District III Participant|
|1950||Alabama||22–12||12–4||College World Series|
|1955||Alabama||23–6||16–2||NCAA District III Participant|
National Champions College World Series Participants Conference Champions
- "Mississippi gets Alabama coaches". The Gettysburg Times. Google News Archives. Associated Press. January 15, 1946. p. 6. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
- "Campbell returning to Tide coach staff". The Tuscaloosa News. Google News Archives. Associated Press. January 23, 1947. p. 10. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- "Campbell resigns as Troy manager". The Tuscaloosa News. Google News Archives. April 15, 1936. p. 7. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
- "Happy Campbell, Tide coach, dies". The Tuscaloosa News. Google News Archives. February 24, 1963. p. 1. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
- "Riley, Bailey will handle Tide baseball". The Tuscaloosa News. Google News Archives. February 26, 1963. p. 6. Retrieved May 16, 2012.