The Rose and Crown public house and Tilshead Baptist Chapel, Tilshead
|Tilshead shown within Wiltshire|
|Population||358 (in 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Dorset and Wiltshire|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Tilshead // is a village and civil parish in the county of Wiltshire in southern England. It is close to the geographical centre of Salisbury Plain, on the A360 road approximately midway between the villages of Shrewton and Market Lavington, and is near the source of the River Till. Its population in 2011 was 358, down from a peak of 989 inhabitants in 1951.
In 1086 Tilshead was a borough and a large royal estate. The tithing of South Tilshead was a manor of Romsey Abbey until the dissolution of the Monasteries, which is probably how it came to be a detached part of the hundred of Whorwellsdown.
Tilshead Lodge was built in the mid 17th century to the southwest of the village and became known for racehorse training. It was demolished in the early 1950s.
Much of Salisbury Plain is used by the Ministry of Defence for military training. Westdown Camp, 0.4 miles (0.64 km) to the east of the village, is an accommodation centre for the Salisbury Plain Training Area.
RAF Tilshead, to the southwest of the village, was in use from 1925 to 1941.
- "Parish population 2011". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- "Census". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Victoria County History - Wiltshire - Vol 15 pp263-275 - Parishes: Tilshead". British History Online. University of London. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Historic England. "Church of St Thomas a Becket, Tilshead (1023968)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Church of St Thomas à Becket, Tilshead". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Baptist Chapel, Tilshead". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Tilshead Baptist Chapel". Tilshead Parish Council.
- "St Thomas à Becket C of E (Aided) Primary School - Tilshead". Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Tilshead School". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Tilshead Village Hall". Charity Commission. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Tilshead". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- http://tilsheadvillage.com/ - Parish website
Media related to Tilshead at Wikimedia Commons