|Initial release||April 5, 2016|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
Tilt Brush is a room-scale 3D painting virtual reality application available from Google, originally developed by Skillman & Hackett.
The Preview Trailer from September 2014 (a 1'47″ video) provides an idea on what TiltBrush was & is.
The application is designed for 6DoF motion interfaces in virtual reality but also works with keyboard and mouse. The keyboard and mouse version is not publicly available. It's purely for development purposes. Users are presented with a virtual palette from which they can select from a variety of brush types and colors. Movement of the handheld controller in 3D space creates brush strokes that follow in the virtual environment. Users can export their creations of room-scale VR pieces in .fbx, .usd, and a .json format. They can also capture snapshots, animated GIF images, .mpeg videos, or render 360 degree videos.
Tilt Brush was developed by Skillman & Hackett, and was in 2014 nominated for four Proto Awards (namely: "Best Interaction Design", "Most Innovative", "Best Overall Virtual Reality Application", and "Best GUI"), of which it won the "Best GUI" award.   Google acquired Tilt Brush in 2015, as announced April 16, 2015 . Tilt Brush was released for the HTC Vive at its launch on April 5, 2016, at no cost when pre-ordering the HTC Vive.. On February 24, 2017, Tilt VR announced it is now available on both Oculus Rift and Vive.
In the Fast Company article about Tilt Brush, one of the creators said that the idea of drawing in 3D space came from a chess game prototype: “There was a happy accident. Tilt Brush came out of an experiment with a virtual reality chess prototype, where we accidentally started painting the chess pieces in the air, and it was incredible”. In the earlier versions of Tilt Brush, it was only possible to draw on two-dimensional planes.
Ars Technica and other sites referred to Tilt Brush as the HTC Vive's killer app, praising the program's intuitive interface and the excitement of painting in three dimensions. Edward Baig of USA Today said that the program was the only one that excited him in the platform's launch lineup. Chris Suellentrop of The New York Times wrote that the program was better suited for beginners than more engineering-oriented experiences like Fantastic Contraption. In 2018, Tilt Brush was employed for the first time in mixed reality news reporting by the NBC News studio NBC Left Field.
- Webby Award 2018: Best of VR: Interactive, Game or Real-Time
- Cannes Lions 2017: 2 Gold Lions (Innovation, Digital Craft), 1 Silver
- Lumiere Award for Best VR Experience 2017
- Cinequest 2017 Best Interactive Experience
- CES 2017 Best of Innovations: Virtual Reality
- SXSW 2017 Interactive Innovation Award for VR/AR
- DICE 2017 Immersive Reality Technical Achievement Nominee
- The Vive Report Best HTC Vive Application 2016
- Co.Design Innovation by Design Awards 2016: Best App
- Ciclope 2016: Best Virtual Reality - Real Time Rendered
- Tech Crunch #2 top VR experience 2016
- UploadVR 2016 Game of the Year Awards: Best Creativity App Winner
- Android Central 2016: Best VR App
- Animation Magazine Best Tech of 2016
- Proto Awards 2016: Best Overall, Most Innovative
- Unity Awards 2016: Best Non-game Project
- Unity Awards 2015: Best VR Experience
- Proto Awards 2014: Best GUI
- Flaherty, Joseph (November 19, 2014). "A Wild Look at What It's Like to Paint Inside an Oculus Rift". Wired.
- "Google's Tilt Brush: Now paint 3D images in virtual space and walk around them too". The Indian Express. Tech Desk. May 16, 2016. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- Carmichael, Joe (May 26, 2016). "Is Google's Tilt Brush the Future of Art, a Legal Acid Trip, or a Gimmick?". Inverse. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- Seppala, Timothy J. (September 24, 2014). "Tilt Brush is a virtual reality app that lets you paint with light". Engadget.
- . https://web.archive.org/web/20150101180142/http://www.tiltbrush.com:80/. Missing or empty
|title=(help); Missing or empty
- . https://web.archive.org/web/20150206003158/http://protoawards.com:80/. Missing or empty
|title=(help); Missing or empty
- Dale, Laura Kate (April 4, 2016). "Review: Tilt Brush". Destructoid.com.
- Kuchera, Ben (March 18, 2016). "Here's why Google's Tilt Brush may be virtual reality's killer app". Polygon.com.
- Welch, Chris (2017-02-21). "Google's incredible Tilt Brush VR app is now on Oculus Rift". The Verge. Retrieved 2017-02-25.
- "Google's Tilt Brush Is The First Great VR App". Fast Company. 2016-04-05. Retrieved 2018-11-04.
- "Google Tilt Brush for HTC Vive - VR killer app: You can literally paint virtual worlds - The Financial Express". www.financialexpress.com. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "Interview: Tilt Brush creator Patrick Hackett on developing the Vive's "killer app"". Gamecrate. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "Here's why Google's Tilt Brush may be virtual reality's killer app". Polygon. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "Tilt Brush: The Killer App for VR". IEEE Spectrum: Technology, Engineering, and Science News. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- Sam Machkovech (2016-04-05). "Learning how to VR with Tilt Brush, HTC Vive's killer app". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2016-10-27.
- Sam Machkovech (2015-09-12). "How a Disney artist's deceptive VR demo still heralds a new digital art future". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2016-10-27.
- Baig, Edward C. (2016-04-10). "HTC Vive: amazing VR, real world challenges". USA Today. Retrieved 2016-10-27.
- Suellentrop, Chris (March 19, 2016). "7 Virtual Reality Highlights From the Game Developers Conference". The New York Times.
- NBC Left Field (2018-03-08), Why There’d Be No Time Zones Without Trains | NBC Left Field, retrieved 2018-05-02
- "Tilt Brush | The Webby Awards". Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "Tilt Brush - "Tilt Brush" Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity 2017". www.adforum.com. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- Kerr, Chris. "Tilt Brush named Best VR Experience at Lumiere Awards". Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "Cinequest VR Awards". www.filmfestivals.com. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "At CES 2017, here are the 'Innovation Award' winners". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "Announcing the 2017 Winners of the SXSW Interactive Innovation Awards". SXSW. 2017-03-15. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- AIAS. "2017 Immersive Reality Finalists". www.interactive.org. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "The Vivey Awards: Best of HTC Vive 2016 – The Results Are In". Vive Report. 2017-01-10. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "Announcing The Winners Of The 2016 Innovation By Design Awards". Fast Company. 2016-09-12. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "CICLOPE FESTIVAL 2016 – WINNERS – Tubepress demo | Ciclope Festival". www.ciclopefestival.com. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "The top 10 best of VR in 2016". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "UploadVR's 2016 Game of the Year Winners". UploadVR. 2016-12-30. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "Best of 2016". Android Central. 2016-12-27. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "The Best Tech of 2016". www.animationmagazine.net. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- James, Paul (2016-10-09). "2016's Proto Award Winners Revealed, Tilt Brush Receives Top Honour – Road to VR". Road to VR. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- Technologies, Unity. "Awards - Unity Awards 2016". awards.unity.com. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- Technologies, Unity. "Awards - Unity Awards 2015". awards.unity.com. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- Lang, Ben (2014-09-24). "'Tilt Brush' Surprises with Best GUI at Proto Awards – Let's You Create VR Paintings with Depth". Road to VR. Retrieved 2018-11-29.