Tim Barrett (admiral)
|Timothy William Barrett|
Tim Barrett (sitting right) with Ray Mabus
8 January 1959 |
Helston, United Kingdom
|Service/branch||Royal Australian Navy|
|Years of service||1976 – present (39 years)|
|Commands held||Chief of Navy
Commander Australian Fleet
Border Protection Command
Navy Aviation Group
Defence Force Recruiting
|Awards||Officer of the Order of Australia
Conspicuous Service Cross
Vice Admiral Timothy William "Tim" Barrett AO, CSC, RAN (born 8 January 1959) is a senior officer in the Royal Australian Navy and the current Chief of Navy, succeeding Vice Admiral Ray Griggs on 30 June 2014. Barrett previously served as Commander Australian Fleet from 2011 to 2014.
On 4 April 2014, Barrett's promotion to vice admiral and selection to succeed Ray Griggs as Chief of Navy (CN) was announced, to take place mid-year. He was subsequently advanced in rank during a ceremony presided by General David Hurley on 24 June, and assumed command as CN six days later.
Honours and awards
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
|Officer of the Order of Australia (AO)||(9 June 2014)|
|Member of the Order of Australia (AM)||(26 January 2009)|
|Conspicuous Service Cross||(26 January 2006)|
|Australian Active Service Medal|
|Australian Service Medal|
|Defence Force Service Medal with 3 clasps||35–39 years service|
|Australian Defence Medal|
- Styles, Aja (24 May 2011). "Navy border chief defends Christmas Island response". WA Today. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Rear Adm. (Tim) Timothy William Barrett". Who's Who in Australia Online. Crown Content. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Navy News (18 February 2010). "Rear Admiral Barrett goes from Albatross to the border". South Coast Register (Nowra, New South Wales: Fairfax Media). Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- AAP (4 July 2014). "Air Marshal Mark Binskin has been announced as the new head of the Australian defence force.". SBS News (Special Broadcasting Service). Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- @DavidHurley_CDF last night promoted VADM Tim Barrett who will next week succeed me as @CN_Australia - congrats Tim. Raymond Griggs on Twitter. 24 June 2014. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- Officer of the Order of Australia – 9 June 2014 Citation: For distinguished service as Commander Border Protection Command and Commander Australian Fleet Command.
- "Barrett, Timothy William – Member of the Order of Australia". It's an Honour. Australian Government. 26 January 2009. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Barrett, Timothy William – Conspicuous Service Cross". It's an Honour. Australian Government. 26 January 2006. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
Vice Admiral Ray Griggs
|Chief of Navy
2014 – present
Rear Admiral Steve Gilmore
|Commander Australian Fleet
Rear Admiral Stuart Mayer
Rear Admiral Allan du Toit
|Border Protection Command
Rear Admiral David Johnston
|This article about the military of Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|