Tim Bergling Foundation
The Tim Bergling Foundation is a foundation created by the family of the Swedish DJ Avicii, in honour of his death. On 20 April 2018, Avicii died by committing suicide after suffering with mental health issues. The foundation was originally set up to tackle mental health awareness and suicide prevention in order to help prevent other families from experiencing similar events; however, was later expanded to work on climate change, protection of endangered species, business management, and nature conservation.
The Tim Bergling Foundation was announced by the family of Avicii on 26 March 2019. Following the inspiration of Avicii's philanthropy including House for Hunger, Tim Bergling's family stated in a press release:
Tim wanted to make a difference. Starting a foundation in his name is our way to honour his memory and continue to act in his spirit.
A posthumous album by Avicii titled Tim was announced to be released on 6 June 2019 with all of the proceeds going to the foundation. Avicii had been working on the album before his death and collaborators including Chris Martin, Tom Petty, and Imagine Dragons were enlisted to finish the work. In addition, an official biography written by Måns Mosesson is set for release in 2020 with all proceeds also going to the foundation.
During 2019's International Music Summit, Avicii's father, Klas Bergling, spoke out about the importance of recognizing and treating the early signs of deteriorating mental health, anxiety, and depression for performing artists and those working in the music industry, and outlining factors that can contribute to such conditions. He also outlined the work which the Tim Bergling Foundation wishes to achieve in order to help combat such issues.
- "Avicii's cause of death revealed: Report". May 1, 2018.
- Saunders, Emmeline; Newman, Vicki (May 1, 2018). "Avicii's tragic cause of death revealed". mirror.
- "Avicii's Family Establish Tim Bergling Foundation". Billboard. Retrieved 2019-05-14.
- Blistein, Jon; Blistein, Jon (2019-03-26). "Avicii's Family Launches Foundation to Address Mental Health, Suicide Prevention". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2019-05-14.
- "Avicii's family start the Tim Bergling Foundation in support of mental health". DJMag.com. March 26, 2019.
- "Avicii's Team Announces Posthumous Album 'Tim'". Billboard. Retrieved 2019-05-14.
- Farber, Jim (2019-04-05). "Avicii's Death Left Many Questions. Will His New Music Provide Answers?". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-05-14.
- "An official Avicii biography will be released in 2020". DJMag.com. April 23, 2019.
- "Avicii's Dad Speaks Out About His Son's Death & Mental Health Publicly for the First Time". Your EDM. May 25, 2019.