Timothy Peter "Tim" Burt (born 23 December 1951) is a British geographer, academic, and academic administrator. Since 1996, he has been Master of Hatfield College, Durham and Professor of Geography at the University of Durham. He had previously taught at Huddersfield Polytechnic, the University of Oxford, and Keble College, Oxford.
Early life and education
Burt was born on 23 December 1951 in Mells, Somerset, England. He was educated at Sexey's School, then an all-boys state grammar school in Bruton, Somerset. He studied geography at St John's College, Cambridge, graduating with a first class Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1973. He then studied at Carleton University, where he undertook research on frozen soils and graduated with a Master of Arts (MA) degree in 1974. He the moved to the University of Bristol where he undertook postgraduate research on hillslope hydrology, and he completed his Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in 1978.
From 1977 to 1984, Burt was senior lecturer at Huddersfield Polytechnic. In 1984, he joined the University of Oxford where he had been appointed a lecturer in physical geography and elected a Fellow of Keble College, Oxford. At Keble, he also worked as dean and then as senior tutor.
In 1996, Burt moved to Durham University, where he became Master of Hatfield College, Durham and he was appointed Professor of Geography. From 2002 to 2007, he also served as Dean of Colleges. In 2010, he was a visiting professor at Oregon State University. From September 2016 to January 2017, he was Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Colleges and Student Experience.
In December 2012, Burt was elected a Fellow of the American Geophysical Union. In September 2013, he was elected a Fellow of the British Society for Geomorphology. In April 2017, he was awarded the 2017 David Linton Award by the British Society for Geomorphology.
- Anderson, M. G.; Burt, T. P., eds. (1990). Process studies in hillslope hydrology. Chichester: Wiley. ISBN 978-0471927143.
- Kirkby, M. J.; Naden, P. S.; Burt, T. P.; Butcher, D. P. (1992). Computer Simulation in Physical Geography (2nd ed.). Chichester: Wiley. ISBN 978-0471935469.
- Burt, Tim; Allison, R. J., eds. (2007). Sediment cascades: an integrated approach. Weinheim: Wiley. ISBN 978-0470849620.
- 'BURT, Prof. Timothy Peter', Who's Who 2017, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2017; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2016; online edn, Nov 2016 accessed 23 June 2017
- "Hatfield College History: Principals & Masters". Hatfield College. Durham University. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "MASTER, Professor Tim Burt, MA (Cantab), PhD, DSc, FAGU, FRGS". Hatfield College. Durham University. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Prof Tim Burt elected Fellow of the American Geophysical Union". Research in Colleges. Durham University. 14 December 2012. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Professor Tim Burt, Dr Ian Evans & Professor Rob Ferguson Elected Fellows of the British Society for Geomorphology". Department of Geography. Durham University. 30 September 2013. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Professor Tim Burt awarded the David Linton Award 2017 by the British Society for Geomorphology". Department of Geography. Durham University. 4 April 2017. Retrieved 23 June 2017.