|Tim H. Clutton-Brock|
|Born||13 August 1946|
|Fields||Zoology, behavioural ecology|
|Institutions||Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge|
|Notable awards||Fellow of the Royal Society (1987)
Frink Medal (1997)
Marsh Ecology Award (1998)
Darwin Medal (2012)
As of 2008, he is the Prince Philip Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, and head of the Large Animal Research Group at the Department of Zoology of the University of Cambridge, and a fellow of Magdalene College, Cambridge. He also holds extraordinary professorships in the Department of Zoology and Entomology and the Mammal Research Institute of the University of Pretoria, South Africa.
In 2012, he was awarded the Darwin Medal from the Royal Society for his work on the diversity of animal societies and demonstration of their effects on the evolution of reproductive strategies, and the operation of selection and the dynamics of populations.
Clutton-Brock's early work was on social behaviour in primates. Much of his recent work focuses on three long-term studies: of red deer on the Scottish island of Rùm, of Soay sheep on St Kilda, and of meerkats in the southern Kalahari. He is one of the founders of the Kalahari Meerkat Project, the subjects of which are featured in the television programme Meerkat Manor.
List of works
- Readings in Sociobiology. Editor with Paul H. Harvey. (1978, W.H.Freeman & Company; ISBN 0-7167-0190-1)
- Red Deer: Behavior and Ecology of Two Sexes. With F. E. Guinness and S. D. Albon. (1982, University Of Chicago Press; ISBN 0-226-11057-5)
- Life Histories in Comparative Perspective. With P.H. Harvey and R.D. Martin, R.D. (1987) In Primate Societies. Smuts, B.B., Cheney, D.L., Seyfarth, R.M., Wrangham, R.W., Struhsaker, T.T. (eds). Chicago & London:University of Chicago Press. pp. 181–196 ISBN 0-226-76715-9
- Rhum: The Natural History of an Island (Edinburgh Island Biology). Editor with M. E. Ball. (1987, Edinburgh University Press; ISBN 0-85224-513-0)
- Reproductive Success: Studies of Individual Variation in Contrasting Breeding Systems (Editor, 1990, University Of Chicago Press; ISBN 0-226-11059-1)
- The Evolution of Parental Care (1991, Princeton University Press; ISBN 0-691-02516-9)
- Changes and Disturbance in Tropical Rainforest in SouthEast Asia. Editor with David M. G. Newbery and Ghillean T. Prance. (2000, World Scientific Publishing Company; ISBN 1-86094-243-1)
- Wildlife Population Growth Rates. Editor with R. M. Sibly and J. Hone. (2003, Cambridge University Press; ISBN 0-521-53347-3)
- Soay Sheep: Dynamics and Selection in an Island Population. Editor with J. M. Pemberton. (2004, Cambridge University Press; ISBN 0-521-52990-5)
- Meerkat Manor - The Story of Flower of the Kalahari (2007, Weidenfeld & Nicolson; ISBN 0-297-84484-9)
- Clutton-Brock TH, Parker GA. (1995) Punishment in animal societies. Nature 373: 209–216 (PMID 7816134)
- Clutton-Brock TH. (2007) Sexual selection in Males and Females. Science 318: 1882-1885
- Clutton-Brock TH, Vincent AC. (1991) Sexual selection and the potential reproductive rates of males and females. Nature 351: 58–60 (PMID 2027382)
- Clutton-Brock TH et al.. (2001) Cooperation, conflict and concession in meerkat groups. Science 291: 478–481 (PMID 11161200)
- Clutton-Brock TH et al.. (2002) Evolution and development of sex differences in cooperative behaviour in meerkats. Science 297: 253–256 (PMID 12114627)
- Clutton-Brock TH et al.. (2002) Sex differences in emigration and mortality affect optimal management of deer populations. Nature 415: 633–637 (PMID 11832944)
- Clutton-Brock TH et al.. (2006) Intrasexual competition and sexual selection in cooperative mammals. Nature 444: 1065–1068 (PMID 17183322)
- "Tim Clutton-Brock". Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge. Retrieved 2008-03-19.
- Large Animal Research Group, University of Cambridge
- "Fellows by Subject". Magdalene College, Cambridge. Retrieved 2008-03-20.
- "Faculties of the University of Pretoria" (PDF). University of Pretoria. Retrieved 2008-03-20.
- "The Royal Society Library and Archive catalogue: Clutton-Brock, Timothy Hugh". Royal Society. Retrieved 2008-03-19.
- "ISIHighlyCited.com: Clutton-Brock, Timothy H.". Thomson Scientific. Retrieved 2008-03-20.
- "Darwin Medal". Royal Society. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- "Meerkats: The Zoological Jackpot". National Geographic. Retrieved 2008-03-19.