Tim Cooney (baseball)
Cooney with the St. Louis Cardinals
St. Louis Cardinals – No. 66
December 19, 1990 |
|April 30, 2015 for the St. Louis Cardinals|
(through July 24, 2015)
|Earned run average||3.16|
Timothy Manus Cooney (born December 19, 1990) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals of Major League Baseball (MLB). The Cardinals selected him in the third round of the 2012 amateur draft after attending Wake Forest University and playing college baseball for the Demon Deacons. He made his major league debut on April 30, 2015.
Cooney attended Malvern Preparatory School in Malvern, Pennsylvania. Pitching for Malvern's baseball team, Cooney won the Pennsylvania state championship in 2009. Though Cooney received scholarship offers from Ivy League universities, he chose to enroll at Wake Forest University to play college baseball for the Demon Deacons in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC). As a sophomore, Cooney was named to the All-ACC second team.
The Cardinals chose Cooney in the third round, with the 117th overall selection, of the 2012 MLB Draft. He made his professional debut that year with the Batavia Muckdogs of the Class A-Short Season New York-Penn League. In 2013, Cooney began the season with the Palm Beach Cardinals of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League, and was promoted to the Springfield Cardinals of the Class AA Texas League. The Cardinals invited Cooney to spring training in 2014. With Springfield, he was a mid-season All-Star for the Texas League. Next, Cooney pitched for the Memphis Redbirds of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League (PCL) in 2014, and opened the season with Memphis in 2015. Entering the 2015 season, Baseball America rated Cooney as having the best control in the Cardinals organization.
Cooney made his major league debut on April 30, 2015, replacing the injured Adam Wainwright in the Cardinals' starting rotation. Cooney struggled in his debut, and was optioned back to Memphis the next day. On May 17, he was named the PCL Pitcher of the Week after allowing a 0.66 ERA in 13 1⁄3 IP against the New Orleans Zephyrs and Omaha Storm Chasers. He also held batters to a .143 batting average against (7-for-49). In his first 14 starts of the season with Memphis, Cooney completed 88 2⁄3 IP, allowing 27 ER for a 2.74 ERA. He also struck out 63 batters and was 6–4 in won–loss decisions. He was named to the 2015 PCL All-Star squad on July 1. The Cardinals recalled him the next day when they placed outfielder Jon Jay on the disabled list.
On July 24 against the Atlanta Braves, Cooney earned his first major league victory by pitching a career-high seven innings in a 4−2 outcome. He had previously received no-decisions in each of his first five major league starts. Further, he had a 12-inning scoreless streak that ended in the sixth inning.
- Atlantic Coast Conference All-ACC second team (2011)
- Baseball America St. Louis Cardinals' organization Best Control (2015)
- 2× Minor League Baseball All-Star
- 2× Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week (June 1, 2014; May 17, 2015)
- "Meet LHP Tim Cooney: Playing in Peoria". Peoriachiefs.mlblogs.com. February 27, 2013. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- Booher, Kary (July 13, 2013). "Springfield southpaw Cooney likes a good challenge". Springfield News-Leader. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- "Wake's Mac Williamson & Tim Cooney picked in 3rd round of MLB Draft". digtriad.com. Retrieved April 27, 2015.
- Vowles, Ryan (August 2, 2012). "Cooney's journy starts in Batavia". MiLB.com (Batavia Muckdogs). Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- Thornburg, Chad (July 26, 2013). "St. Louis Cardinals well represented among game's top prospects". MLB.com (stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com). Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- Goold, Derrick (January 22, 2014). "Cards invite 18 non-roster players to spring training". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- Memphis Redbirds (July 1, 2015). "Tuivailala, Cooney named to PCL All-Star team". MiLB.com. Retrieved July 3, 2015.
- Rome, Chandler (July 21, 2014). "Redbirds’ Cooney tinkering with his arsenal to good effect". The Commercial Appeal. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- Press services (April 6, 2015). "Redbirds set opening roster". The Commercial Appeal. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- Silva, Drew (April 28, 2015). "Tim Cooney gets first shot at replacing Adam Wainwright in Cardinals’ starting rotation". NBCSports.com Hardball Talk. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- Harris, Joe (May 1, 2015). "Cards call up Socolovich, option Cooney". MLB.com. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- Memphis Redbirds (May 18, 2015). "Tim Cooney named PCL Pitcher of the Week". MiLB.com. Retrieved June 26, 2015.
- "Cardinals place Jon Jay on 15-day disabled list". USA Today. Associated Press. July 2, 2015. Retrieved July 3, 2015.
- Langosch, Jenifer; Cobb, David (July 24, 2015). "Cooney wins first as Grichuk, Cardinals top Braves". MLB.com. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)