Tim Ellis (bishop)
|The Right Reverend|
|Bishop of Grantham|
|Diocese||Diocese of Lincoln|
|Installed||19 February 2006|
|Term ended||26 September 2013 (retirement)|
Area bishop of Grantham (2010–31 January 2013)|
Archdeacon of Stow and Lindsey (2001–2006)
|Consecration||14 February 2006|
26 August 1953|
|Alma mater||King's College London|
Timothy William Ellis (born 26 August 1953) is a retired British bishop of the Church of England. From 2006 to 2013, he was Bishop of Grantham, a suffragan bishop in the Diocese of Lincoln; he was also an area bishop from 2010 until 31 January 2013.
Ellis was educated at City Grammar School, Sheffield; trained for the ministry at King's College London and at St Augustine's College, Canterbury; and took his Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil) at York University.
Ordained in 1977 he began his career with a curacy in Manchester at St John's Church, Old Trafford and was then successively Vicar at Pendleton; Vicar of St Leonard, Norwood, Sheffield; Rural Dean of Ecclesfield, also Canon of Sheffield Cathedral, and finally (before his ordination to the episcopate) Archdeacon of Stow and Lindsey in the Diocese of Lincoln.
Ellis was the celebrant at the first U2charist in England and organised a national vigil before the first Gulf War. He is Chair of Sheffield Faiths Together and Chair of East Midlands Community Led Housing Trust. He continues to serve on the Fabric Advisory Council of Sheffield Cathedral. and is a member of the Advisory Panel on the Archaeology of Christian Burials in England's Standing Committee, having been Vice-Chair of the Council for the Care of Churches.
Ellis is now honorary assistant bishop in the Sheffield and Derby dioceses.
On 11 February 2017, Ellis was one of fourteen retired bishops to sign an open letter to the then-serving bishops of the Church of England. In an unprecedented move, they expressed their opposition to the House of Bishops' report to General Synod on sexuality, which recommended no change to the church's canons or practises around sexuality. By 13 February, a serving bishop (Alan Wilson, Bishop of Buckingham) and nine further retired bishops had added their signatures; on 15 February, the report was rejected by synod.
- The Reverend Tim Ellis (1976–1998)
- The Reverend Doctor Tim Ellis (1998–2000)
- The Reverend Canon Doctor Tim Ellis (2000–2001)
- The Venerable Doctor Tim Ellis (2001–2006)
- The Right Reverend Doctor Tim Ellis (2006–present)
Publications and articles
- Ellis, Timothy (1987). A History of Pendleton Church.
- Ellis, Timothy (1966). The problem of twentieth century churches. Twentieth Century Churches. York University.
- Ellis, Timothy (1993). The future of the annual conference. Churchscape, Council for the Care of Churches.
- Ellis, Timothy (1997). Leslie Thomas Moore : his life, influences, ecclesiastical architecture and preservation philosophy. University of York.
- Ellis, Timothy (2004). The theological position of the Church of England regarding the ethical curation of human remains (PDF). An annexe to the 2004 English Heritage report on the curation of human remains. English Heritage.
- Owmby Signpost — February 2006
- "Gazette". Church Times. 17 May 2013. p. 29. #7835.
- Diocese of Lincoln — Who's Who Archived 16 October 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Queen approves nomination for a new Suffragan See of Grantham". Number10.gov.uk. London, United Kingdom: The official site of the Prime Minister's Office. 20 December 2005. Archived from the original on 12 November 2009. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- Crockfords On-line- accessed 17 May 2008
- Diocese of Lincoln Central Services Review – Report to the Bishop of Lincoln Archived 28 August 2014 at the Wayback Machine. (Accessed 23 April 2014)
- Diocese of Lincoln Central Services Review – Response from the Bishop of Lincoln Archived 24 April 2014 at the Wayback Machine. (Accessed 23 April 2014)
- Needs reference (not seen in Who's Who 2008)
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- Source needed, with date(s)
- Debrett's People of Today London, Debrett's, 2008 ISBN 978-1-870520-95-9
- The Ven Dr Tim Ellis will become the Bishop of Grantham on St Valentine's Day, Grantham Journal, 10 January 2006
- Bishop Tim Ellis's Weblog
- "Press Release: U2 rocks the church". London, United Kingdom: BBC. 11 May 2007. Retrieved 17 June 2010.
- Jonathan Petre, Religion Correspondent (29 January 2007). "Hymns replaced by Bono lyrics at church". The Daily Telegraph. London, United Kingdom. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- Langley, Seren (18 December 2007). "Advisory Panel on the Archaeology of Christian Burials in England (APACBE)". Retrieved 17 June 2010.
The Advisory Panel is sponsored by the Church of England, English Heritage and the Ministry of Justice. Each of these organisations has statutory or legal responsibilities relating to the archaeology of Christian burials in England.
- Retired Bishops' Letter — The Letter Archived 12 February 2017 at the Wayback Machine. (Accessed 11 February 2017; the fourteen bishops were David Atkinson, Michael Doe, Ellis, David Gillett, John Gladwin, Laurie Green, Richard Harries, Stephen Lowe, Stephen Platten, John Pritchard, Peter Selby, Tim Stevens, Martin Wharton, and Roy Williamson.)
- Retired Bishops' Letter — New Signatures Archived 18 February 2017 at the Wayback Machine. (Accessed 17 February 2017; the nine bishops were Gordon Bates, Ian Brackley, John Davies, Peter Maurice, David Rossdale, John Saxbee, Martin Shaw, Oliver Simon, and David Stancliffe.
- The Grauniad — Church of England in turmoil as synod rejects report on same-sex relationships (Accessed 17 February 2017)
|Church of England titles|
| Bishop of Grantham