|Occupation(s)||Music producer, DJ|
|Labels||Planet Mu, Beta Recordings, Warp|
A classically trained violinist, he began experimenting with electronic music aged 12, and gained his first drum and bass release in 1999. In the following years he released mostly for the legendary Moving Shadow imprint, and John B's Beta Recordings, having met John B at Durham University. After the completion of his philosophy degree, he went on to study an MA in electroacoustic composition at Durham. Perhaps unsurprisingly, his drum and bass grew increasingly experimental, and his debut LP (Pro Agonist, 2005) was released by Mike Paradinas' Planet Mu label, more commonly associated with the IDM scene.
Unsatisfied with the possibilities of conventional DJing, Exile programmed his own performance tools (at first using Pure Data and running into difficulties, he then switched to Reaktor) to allow improvisational live sets, which led to official work for Native Instruments.
In 2016, he launched Endlesss, a collaborative music-making app inspired by his Flow Machine, which he had previously used in live performances. A desktop version of Endlesss was released in 2020.
- Hanzo Steel Cuts EP (Mosquito, 2004)
- Pro Agonist (Planet Mu, 2005) (as Exile)
- Tim Exile's Nuisance Gabbaret Lounge (Planet Mu, 2006)
- Listening Tree (Warp, 2009)
- Harmuni EP (Leisure System, 2013)
- "Exile vinyl, CD & digital download track discography at RollDaBeats". www.rolldabeats.com.
- "Marmite Pop: Tim Exile interview by Peter Hollo". 2 September 2009.
- "[rock the dub Interview]: Tim Exile". www.rockthedub.com.
- "WARP - News - Touring North America with Imogen Heap". WARP - News - Touring North America with Imogen Heap.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 July 2014. Retrieved 16 July 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Ranta, Alan (19 March 2009). "Tim Exile: Listening Tree review". PopMatters. Retrieved on 14 June 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tim Exile.|
- Official site
- Tim Exile discography at Discogs
- Planet Mu: Tim Exile
- Exile at Rolldabeats
- Public Q&A at dogsonacid.com
- Remix interview (2006)
- BBC interview (2005)