|Birth name||Timothy Fain|
|Origin||Santa Monica, California, United States|
Early life and education
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
A native of Santa Monica, California, violinist Tim Fain attended the Royal Conservatory of Music in London at the age of 11 and Crossrads School for the Arts and Sciences in Santa Monica. He is a graduate of the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia, where he studied with Victor Danchenko,  and The Juilliard School, where he worked with Robert Mann.
After winning the Avery Fisher Career Grant, Fain performed on-screen and in the soundtrack of the movie Black Swan  as well as ghost-playing for Richard Gere in the Fox Searchlight movie Bee Season. In November 2006, Fain played a recital with accompanist Richard Bishop at the Kosciuszko Foundation in New York City. In December 2007, Fain performed with conductor Marin Alsop and the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra in Aaron Jay Kernis's violin concerto Lament and Prayer.
In November 2013, Fain and pianist Pei-Yao Wang performed selections from Richard Danielpour's River of Light and Philip Glass's Einstein on the Beach at a Philadelphia Chamber Music Society recital.
- Arches: Music Then to Now (Image Recordings, 2008)
- Philip Glass: The Concerto Project, Vol. IV, (Orange Mountain Music, 2010)
- Black Swan: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Sony, 2011) 
- River of Light: American Short Works for Violin and Piano (Naxos, 2011)
- Music from and Inspired by 12 Years a Slave (Columbia Records, 2013) 
- "Variation", Tim Fain plays Michael Shapiro's Peace Variations (Paumanok, 2014)
- Tim Fain plays Philip Glass: Partita for solo violin (Orange Mountain Music, 2015)
- "Michael Shapiro's Second Sonata for violin and piano, Tim Fain and Steve Beck (Paumanok, 2016)
Awards and honors
- 2006: Up-and-Coming Young Musicians, Symphony magazine
- Young Concert Artists International Award
- 2007: Avery Fisher Career Grant
- 2007: "Pick of Up and Coming Musicians", The Strad
- "This weekend at Maverick Concerts, Jazz piano, & solo violin | Roll Online". Rollmagazine.com. 2012-08-07. Retrieved 2015-06-04.
- Haller, Sarah. "Q & A with Timothy Fain" (PDF). Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- "Violinist Tim Fain talks 'Black Swan' and Philip Glass collaboration | Culture Monster | Los Angeles Times". Latimesblogs.latimes.com. 2011-01-18. Retrieved 2015-06-04.
- Midgette, Anna (November 11, 2006). "A Solo Artist Who Hits All the Notes". The New York Times. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- Malone, Andrew (December 3, 2007). "Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Brings Splash of Summer". The Washington Post. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- Kozinn, Allan (January 30, 2012). "A Prolific Composer Pauses, Briefly, for His Birthday". The New York Times. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- Stearns, David Patrick (November 5, 2013). "Violinist Tim Fain presents an unusual buffet". Philly News. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
-  Archived February 25, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Philip Glass and Tim Fain Concert at the Met Museum". Feastofmusic.com. 2012-04-21. Retrieved 2015-06-04.
- "Famed violinist to visit UND". Dakotastudent.com. Retrieved 2015-06-04.
- "Columbia Records to Release '12 Years a Slave' Soundtrack". Film Music Reporter. October 14, 2013. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- Obenson, Tambay A. (2013-11-11). "Soundtrack Album For '12 Years a Slave' To Be Released By | Shadow and Act". Blogs.indiewire.com. Retrieved 2015-06-04.