||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Tim Garland (born 19 October 1966) is a British jazz saxophonist, composer and band-leader. He is also known for his innovative bass clarinet playing and for his prolific output as composer, blurring the boundaries between modern jazz and classical concert music.
He first entered the jazz scene playing alongside Ronnie Scott in a “two tenor” quintet, before quickly establishing himself as a leader, drawing on influences from around the world including classical and flamenco.
As composer, he has fulfilled commissions from the London Symphony Orchestra, the Northern Sinfonia, BBC Concert Orchestra and Westminster Abbey Choir, as well as several small and large jazz-based ensembles. In 2013, he premiered his suite Songs to The North Sky for jazz trio and orchestra, written in 2012 for the trio Lighthouse with the Royal Northern Sinfonia and subsequently performed by them and also by the London Sinfonia.
As a band-leader, he first achieved recognition with the jazz/folk crossover group Lammas (which included Don Paterson and Christine Tobin), going on with a number of groups under his own name, the Dean Street Underground Orchestra, Storms/Nocturnes, Acoustic Triangle and his award winning Lighthouse Project.
In 2009, Garland won a Grammy for his part in creating "The New Crystal Silence" which celebrated Chick Corea and Gary Burton's long established partnership. He orchestrated five of Chick's pieces for the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.
In 2013, he was announced as part of Chick Corea's band 'The Vigil', debuting in London at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club before embarking on a world tour.
Garland has also contributed to various pieces for Audio Network PLC and is involved in writing music for film and television.
- 2000: Made by Walking (Stretch)
- 2002: Jazz, Boogie, Classical (Audio Network Plc) with Geoff Keezer
- 2005: If the Sea Replied (Sirocco Music) with The Northern Sinfonia Strings
- 2009: Libra (Global Mix) with the Lighthouse Trio and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
- 2011: Storms/Nocturnes (Origin) with Geoff Keezer and Joe Locke
- 2014: Songs to the North Sky (Edition)
- 2015: Return to the Fire (Edition)
- 2016: One (Edition)
- With John Law Quartet
- 2001: The Moment (Cornucopia)
- 2004: Random Acts Of Happiness (Summerfold)
- 2006: Earthworks Underground Orchestra (Summerfold)
- 2007: The Mystery (Audio-B)
- 2012: Lighthouse (ACT Music)
- Gilbert, Mark (2002). "Garland, Tim". In Barry Kernfeld. The new Grove dictionary of jazz, vol. 2 (2nd ed.). New York: Grove's Dictionaries Inc. p. 14. ISBN 1561592846.
- "Tim Garland". Audio Network. 2008-06-28. Retrieved 2009-03-02.
- Kelman, John (1 July 2007). "The Mystery: Orchestral Music by Tim Garland". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2 March 2009.
- Hobart, Mike (2009-02-03). "Tim Garland’s Lighthouse Trio, Ronnie Scott’s, London". ft.com. Retrieved 2009-03-02.
- Hewitt, Ivan. "A stunning virtuoso". The Daily Telegraph.
- Fordham, John. "Formidable". The Guardian.
|This article about a jazz musician from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|