This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Education and career
Tim Hesterberg graduated with a B.A in mathematics from St. Olaf College and received his Ph.D. in statistics from Stanford University. Hesterberg is a member of the National Institute of Statistical Sciences(NISS) and was previously on the NISS Board of Trustees. He is currently on the board of the Canadian Statistical Sciences Institute. He previously worked as a Senior Statistician at Google as well as at Franklin and Marshall College, Pacific Gas & Electric Co, and Insightful/MathSoft. Hesterberg currently is a Senior Statistician at Instacart.
Tim Hesterberg contributed to statistical research by authoring a textbook, several articles, and a software package. These are:
- A 2011 undergraduate student textbook titled Mathematical Statistics with Resampling and R.
- A 2015 article titled "What Teachers Should Know About the Bootstrap: Resampling in the Undergraduate Statistics Curriculum".
- A 2015 R (programming language) software package titled `resample: Resampling Functions`. This package is intended to be easy to use. It performs bootstraps, permutation tests, and other sampling refunctions.
- Several scientific articles including Bootstrap, Least-Angle Regression and LASSO for Large Datasets, and Least Angle and L1 Penalized Regression: A Review.
- "Tim Hesterberg". National Institute of Statistical Sciences. 2012-12-17. Retrieved 2021-11-04.
- "Mathematical Statistics with Resampling and R, 2nd Edition | Wiley". Wiley.com. Retrieved 2021-11-04.
- Hesterberg, Tim C. (2015-10-02). "What Teachers Should Know About the Bootstrap: Resampling in the Undergraduate Statistics Curriculum". The American Statistician. 69 (4): 371–386. doi:10.1080/00031305.2015.1089789. ISSN 0003-1305. PMC 4784504. PMID 27019512.
- Hesterberg, Tim (2015-04-12), resample: Resampling Functions, retrieved 2021-11-04
- Hesterberg, Tim (2008-09-19), "Bootstrap", in D'Agostino, Ralph B.; Sullivan, Lisa; Massaro, Joseph (eds.), Wiley Encyclopedia of Clinical Trials, Hoboken, NJ, USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., pp. eoct392, doi:10.1002/9780471462422.eoct392, ISBN 978-0-471-46242-2, retrieved 2021-11-05
- Hesterberg, Tim; Choi, Nam Hee; Meier, Lukas; Fraley, Chris (2008-01-01). "Least angle and ℓ1 penalized regression: A review". Statistics Surveys. 2 (none). doi:10.1214/08-SS035. ISSN 1935-7516. S2CID 13967045.
- Fraley, Chris; Hesterberg, Tim (March 2009). "Least Angle Regression and LASSO for Large Datasets". Statistical Analysis and Data Mining. 1 (4): 251–259. doi:10.1002/sam.10021. S2CID 14050406.