||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Birth name||Timothy Llewellyn Hughes|
|Born||23 July 1978|
|Occupation(s)||Vicar at St Luke's Gas Street Birmingham|
The Reverend Tim Hughes (born 23 July 1978) is a British worship leader and singer-songwriter. Formerly the Director of Worship at Holy Trinity Brompton, a large Anglican church in central London, he has since been ordained as a minister in the Church of England and appointed Vicar of St Luke's, Gas Street Birmingham. He leads Worship Central, an international worship training and resource centre.
Hughes, the son of an Anglican vicar, grew up in High Wycombe, before moving to Birmingham as a teenager when his father was appointed vicar of St John's Church, Harborne. He studied history at Sheffield University, graduating in 2000.
Hughes is married to Rachel and has four children; Phoebe Joy (born 2 October 2007), Simeon John (born 28 February 2009), Lois Jubilee (born 12 September 2010) and Judah James nicknamed 'JJ' (born 6 December 2012).
Hughes began his music career in 1997, when he was invited by Mike Pilavachi to lead worship at a Soul Survivor festival. After the departure of Matt Redman, from Soul Survivor Watford Church, Hughes succeeded him as Worship Pastor. In 2005, he moved to Holy Trinity Brompton, an Anglican church in central London, where he became the Director of Worship.
Hughes was ordained as a deacon in the Anglican church on 29 June 2013 at St Paul's Cathedral, London, and ordained a priest a year later at St Mary's Abbots', Kensington.
His first appointment was as vicar of St Luke's, Gas Street, Birmingham in 2015. A derelict building was renovated and consecrated as a church for Hughes and his team to begin services.
With Holy Trinity Brompton's Associate Director of Worship, Al Gordon, Hughes established Worship Central, an international worship training and resource centre. Worship Central runs conferences, tours, produces music albums and online resources. Its albums include Let It Be Known and Set Apart.
- Here I am to Worship
Hughes' album, Here I Am to Worship was released in 2001. The album introduced the worship songs "Jesus, You Alone" and the Dove Award-winning song "Here I Am to Worship". Both songs have become world-renowned worship anthems.
- When Silence Falls
Released in 2004, When Silence Falls featured well-known tracks, "Beautiful One", "Consuming Fire", and "Whole World in His Hands". The bonus track on the album, "Saviour" featured the hip hop group 29th Chapter, from west London.
- Holding Nothing Back
Hughes' third album, entitled, Holding Nothing Back, was released on 3 April 2007, and includes songs like "Living for your glory", "The Highest and the Greatest", "God of Justice", "Everything", and "Happy Day". In 2007, prior to the recording of Holding Nothing Back, Christian Today interviewed Hughes, asking him, "Do you think any of the songs have the potential to become worldwide hits like some of your previous singles ("Here I am to Worship" and "Beautiful One")?" Hughes responded that what connected with people was often a surprise and hard to predict.
- Happy Day
In July 2008, Hughes recorded a live album and DVD, entitled Happy Day, at a Worship Central event held on 16 September 2008 at the Shepherds Bush Empire, London. The recording featured a mix of previously released material and brand new songs, including "Give us your courage". The album was released at the Worship Central Global Day on 14 March 2009, in London's Westminster Central Hall.
- Love Shine Through
On 11 March 2011, a fourth studio album was released, entitled, Love Shine Through. The recording was produced by Martin Smith and featured musicians Marc James, Michael Guy Chislet and members of Northern Irish band, Rend Collective Experiment.
- Reward with Martyn Layzell (1999, Survivor Records)
- Here I Am to Worship (2001, Worship Together Records)
- When Silence Falls (2004, Survivor Records)
- Holding Nothing Back (2007, Survivor Records)
- Happy Day (2009, Survivor Records)
- Love Shine Through (2011, Survivor Records)
- Pocketful of Faith (2015, Integrity Music)
With Worship Central
- Lifting High (2009, Survivor Records)
- Spirit Break Out (September 2011, Kingsway)
- Let It Be Known (March 2013, Kingsway)
- Set Apart (October 2014, Kingsway)
Soul Survivor Event Albums
- Your Name's Renown - Soul Survivor Live 2001 (2001)
- Soul Survivor Live 2002: Glimpses Of Glory (2002)
- Soul Survivor: Anthem Of The Free (2003)
- Soul Survivor Live 2004: Living Loud (2004)
- Soul Survivor: We Must Go (2005)
- Soul Survivor: Love Came Down (2006)
- Soul Survivor: Living For Your Glory (2007)
- Complete - Live Worship From Soul Survivor 2008 (2008)
- Soul Survivor: Not Ashamed (2009)
- Soul Survivor: Light the Sky (2010)
- Soul Survivor: We Are the Free (2011)
- Hughes, Timothy R. Passion for Your Name, Kingsway Publications, 2003. ISBN 978-1-84291-175-4
- Hughes, Timothy R. Holding Nothing Back, Kingsway Publications, 2007. ISBN 978-1-84291-352-9
- Hughes, Tim; and Gordon, Al. Worship Central, Alpha International, 2011. ISBN 978-1-905887-26-2
- "Tim Hughes". kingsway.co.uk. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- "EMI CMG Report". Emicmg.com. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- "40th Annual GMA Dove Awards on Gospel Music Channel". Doveawards.com. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- "Christian TV On Demand Interview With Tim Hughes". Premier.tv. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- "Christian Today Interview With Tim Hughes". Christiantoday.com. 10 March 2007. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- Tweet Email (10 March 2007). "Exclusive Interview: Tim Hughes - "Holding Nothing Back" | Christian News on Christian Today". Christiantoday.com. Retrieved 2 July 2013.