Jennings at the 2013 Pro Bowl
December 24, 1983 |
Orangeburg, South Carolina
|Height:||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight:||185 lb (84 kg)|
|High school:||Orangeburg (SC) Wilkinson|
|NFL Draft:||2006 / Round: 2 / Pick: 62|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2015|
Timothy DeShawn Jennings (born December 24, 1983) is an American football cornerback who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Georgia, and was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft.
Indianapolis Colts (2006–2009)
Chicago Bears (2010–2015)
Jennings signed with the Chicago Bears in free agency and has started for them in the 2010 and 2011 seasons opposite Charles Tillman. In 2010 against the Buffalo Bills, Jennings returned an interception for a touchdown to give the Bears a 22–19 lead.
His play has been generally solid, though he was benched late in the 2011 season by the Bears coaching staff after a poor game against the Seattle Seahawks in Week 15. He has since made multiple pro-bowls and recently signed a new contract with the Bears. He and Charles Tillman are considered one of the best cornerback tandems in the league.
On March 2012, Jennings was re-signed to a 2-year contract, and was later reunited with former Colts teammate Kelvin Hayden. Against his former team in the season opener, Jennings intercepted first-overall draft pick Andrew Luck twice, marking the first time in Jennings' career that he recorded two interceptions in a single game. He also forced another interception by deflecting Luck's pass to safety Chris Conte. After week three of the 2012 season against the St. Louis Rams, Jennings became the first Bears player to record an interception in four consecutive games (dating back to the 2011 season finale) since Dave Duerson in 1986. Jennings was later named the NFC Defensive Player of the Month for September. His seven interceptions led the NFL. In Week 13 against the Seattle Seahawks, Jennings sustained a shoulder injury, and was ruled out of the following game against the Minnesota Vikings. Jennings was replaced by former Colts teammate Kelvin Hayden. As of Week 16, Jennings led the Bears with 15 pass breakups, and his three games with more than one interception is a team record. On December 26, Jennings was named to his first career Pro Bowl. Jennings finished the season with nine interceptions, leading the league, making him the first Bears player since Mark Carrier in 1990 to lead the league in interceptions. Jennings was later named to the second team of the 2012 All-Pro Team, his first.
In 2013, Jennings recorded a team-leading four interceptions, the second-most in his career, behind 2012's nine interceptions. In the past two seasons, Jennings has recorded 13 interceptions, the second-most in the league behind Richard Sherman's 16. Jennings was an unrestricted free agent for the 2014 season until January 2, 2014, when he was re-signed by the Bears to a 4-year contract. On January 20, 2014, Jennings was named to the 2013 Pro Bowl roster to replace Richard Sherman, becoming the second Bears cornerback to make two consecutive Pro Bowls, after Tillman in 2011-12.
On August 30, 2015, Jennings was released by the Bears.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2015)
Jennings is the younger cousin of former NFL cornerback Donnie Abraham.
- "ESPN Profile". ESPN.com.
- Tim Jennings . "Tim Jennings, DB for the Chicago Bears at". Nfl.com. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Bears rally to beat Bills with late TD". Chicagobears.com. 2010-11-07. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Bears agree to terms with Tim Jennings". Chicagobears.com. 2012-03-13. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Hayden set to push Jennings at corner - Chicago Tribune". Articles.chicagotribune.com. 2012-07-26. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- Mayer, Larry. "Jennings plays takeaway in Bears victory". Chicagobears.com. Retrieved 2012-09-10.
- Mayer, Larry (2012-09-18). "Jennings proving to be a ball hawk in secondary". Chicagobears.com. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- Mayer, Larry. "Jennings tabbed NFC Defensive Player of Month". Chicagobears.com. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- "The Season: Big Bear". National Football League. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- Mayer, Larry (2012-12-07). "Hayden to replace injured Jennings". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2012-12-07.
- Mayer, Larry (2012-12-26). "Five Bears players voted to Pro Bowl". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- Rosenthal, Gregg (2012-12-26). "2013 Pro Bowl roster analysis: NFC". National Football League. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- Mayer, Larry (2013-01-07). "Reviewing Bears season by the numbers". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- Rosenthal, Gregg (2013-01-12). "All-Pro Team headlined by Adrian Peterson, J.J. Watt". National Football League. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- Mayer, Larry (2014-01-02). "Bears sign Cutler, two others". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2014-01-02.
- "Postgame notes: Bears vs. Packers". Chicago Bears. 2013-12-29. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- Mayer, Larry (2014-01-20). "Jennings added to Pro Bowl roster". chicagobears.com. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- Bergman, Jeremy (August 30, 2015). "Chicago Bears cut veteran cornerback Tim Jennings". NFL.com. Retrieved August 30, 2015.