Tim Johnson (film director)
|Born||August 27, 1961|
|Alma mater||Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences|
|Occupation||Film director, film producer, television director|
|Years active||1990 – Present|
|Employer||DreamWorks Animation (1996-2020)|
Tim Johnson (born August 27, 1961) is an American film director, film producer, and television director. Johnson is best known for directing the DreamWorks Animation films Antz, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, Over the Hedge, and Home.
Life and career
Johnson was born in Chicago. He studied at Northwestern University where he earned a BA in English Literature. He also produced two animated films; both of which earned Richter Grant Organization Awards.
Upon graduating, he worked for two years as a freelance animator and director. His introduction to computer animation came in 1985 while he worked on the staff at Post Effects in Chicago. He later joined Pacific Data Images in 1988 and two years later co-founded the studio's Character Animation Group. He also directed the first CG Pillsbury Doughboy commercial.
While at DreamWorks Animation, he also directed Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, Home (an adaptation of The True Meaning of Smekday), and the Christmas television special Kung Fu Panda Holiday, and additionally served as executive producer for How to Train Your Dragon.
|2000||Cyberworld||Director: Antz segment, Animation Director: Homer3 segment|
|2003||Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas||Director|
|2006||Over the Hedge||Director|
|Hammy's Boomerang Adventure||Creative Consultant|
|2010||How to Train Your Dragon||Executive Producer|
|2019||How to Train Your Dragon: Homecoming||Director|
|1995||Treehouse of Horror VI||Computer Animation Director|
|2010||Kung Fu Panda Holiday||Director|
- "Johnson, Tim, 1961 August 27-". Library of Congress. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- Mastrantonio, Rilio (May 13, 2006). "Tim Johnson / Wanda Sykes Interview: Over The Hedge". Hollywood Snitch. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- "World-changing Alumni". Weinberg College of Arts & Sciences. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- "HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON (2010) – Crew info". Visual Hollywood. Archived from the original on November 5, 2013. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- "Jim Parsons and Rihanna to Voice DreamWorks Animation's Happy Smekday!". DreamWorks Animation. ComingSoon.net. June 20, 2012. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- "Movie Title Changes". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved June 16, 2013.
- "DreamWorks Animation Moves Up 'Penguins Of Madagascar' Bow, Bumps 'Home' To 2015". Deadline.com. May 20, 2014. Retrieved May 20, 2014.