|Born||Yila Timothy Kang
March 16, 1973
San Francisco, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley
|Children||Bianca Jooyung Kang|
|Revised Romanization||Gang Il-a|
Early life and education
Yila Timothy Kang was born in San Francisco, California and is the eldest of three brothers. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University of California, Berkeley, and a Master of Fine Arts from the Harvard's Institute for Advanced Theater Training at American Repertory Theater and Moscow Art Theatre.
Kang only began acting at age 26. He had been working in the finance industry at the Pacific Exchange when he passed by the American Conservatory Theater and signed up for night acting classes on a whim. In an interview with the Korea Society, he stated that he decided to switch to acting full-time when he realized that he could no longer concentrate on his day job at the exchange.
Kang was a series regular on CBS's The Mentalist as Special Agent Kimball Cho. He appeared in Rambo (2008) and also on such TV shows as The Office, Chappelle's Show, The Vampire Diaries and Monk. He returned to his theater roots for Julia Cho's new play Aubergine, playing one of the lead characters Ray. It premiered at the Berkeley Repertory Theatre in February 2016 before touring to various theatres.
Kang is a national spokesman and active supporter for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
|2002||Two Weeks Notice||Paul the Attorney|
|2003||Robot Stories||Young John|
|2004||The Forgotten||Agent Alec Wong|
|2010||Mister Green||Mason Park|
|2018||A Wrinkle in Time||School Superintendent|
|2002||The Sopranos||Dr. Harrison Wong||Episode: "Whoever Did This"|
|2003||Law & Order: Criminal Intent||Murakami||Episode: "Legion"|
|2004||Third Watch||Detective Kent Yoshihara||Recurring role, 5 episodes|
|2005||Law & Order: Trial By Jury||Dr. Liam Kelly||Episode: "Baby Boom"|
|2006||Chappelle's Show||Car Wash Manager/ Mummy's Probation Officer||Episodes 3.1 & 3.3|
|Ghost Whisperer||Warren Chen (Burning Ghost)||Episode: "The Night We Met"|
|2007||Monk||William Lee||Episode: "Mr. Monk Is Up All Night"|
|The Office||Koh||Episode: "Local Ad"|
|The Unit||Chaplain Alan Lantz||Episodes: "Gone Missing", "Play 16"|
|2008–15||The Mentalist||Agent Kimball Cho||Main role, 151 episodes|
|2015||The Vampire Diaries||Oscar||Episodes: 7.3, 7.4 and 7.5|
|2015||Criminal Minds||Charlie Senarak||Episode: "The Witness"|
|2017||American Horror Story: Cult||Tom Chang||Episode: "Election Night"|
|2018||Lethal Weapon||Mike Serrano||Episode: "Diggin' Up Dirt"|
|2018||Madam Secretary||Neal Shin||Episode: "The Things We Get To Say"|
|2016||Mirror's Edge Catalyst||Dogen|
|2017||Prey||Morgan Yu / January (Male)|
- Profile at allthingsgirl.com
- CBS.com Archived 2010-02-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- Kang biodata at thementalisttvshow.com
- Conversations with Ross Carey profile
- "Commercial Appeal". KoreAm. June 1, 2008.
- "Actor Tim Kang at The Korea Society". YouTube (thekoreasociety). November 6, 2013.
- "'Aubergine': Theater Review". The Hollywood Reporter. September 12, 2016.
- Isherwood, Charles (September 12, 2016). "Review: 'Aubergine,' a Stew of Regret and Impending Loss". The New York Times.
- McNulty, Charles (March 1, 2016). "In 'Aubergine,' Julia Cho turns choked-off emotions into a tale of sustenance". Los Angeles Times.
- "New Film Project Launched By CBS "The Mentalist" Actor Tim Kang Praised By the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children". 2012-03-05. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Crime Stopper: Interview with The Mentalist 's Tim Kang". 2013-01-27. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Picks and Pans Review: The Mentalist's Tim Kang Straight and Narrow". People. 2010-10-18. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "The Mentalist's Tim Kang Is All About Pushing The Limits". KoreAm. September 13, 2011.
- Kroll, Justin. "Bianca Jooyung Kang". variety.com. Variety Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- "Tim Yang". tv.com. CBS Interactive, Inc. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- "New Film Project Launched by CBS "The Mentalist" Actor Tim Kang Praised by the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children". 2012-03-05. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "The Mentalist Star Tim Kang on Child Safety". Retrieved 2013-11-19.