|Born||Timothy Carl Means|
February 20, 1984
Wilburton, Oklahoma, United States
|Other names||The Dirty Bird|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||171 lb (78 kg; 12 st 3 lb)|
|Reach||75 in (191 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Team||Power MMA |
|Professional boxing record|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Boxing record from BoxRec|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Timothy Carl "Tim" Means (born February 20, 1984) is an American professional mixed martial artist from Moriarty, New Mexico currently competing in the Welterweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional competitor since 2004, Means has also formerly competed for King of the Cage and Legacy FC. Means is the former King of the Cage Lightweight Champion and the former King of the Cage Junior Welterweight Champion.
Born in Wilburton, Oklahoma, and raised in New Mexico, Means began training at the age of 12, as he was a troubled kid and was taken under the wing of a local trainer. In 2004, Means was involved in a shooting incident outside of a bar and suffered a nine-inch gunshot wound in the femoral artery of his thigh. Means was prescribed painkillers and morphine, and developed a morphine dependency. After Mean's prescriptions ran out, he began experimenting with methamphetamine. A few years after Means began using meth, he found himself in trouble with the law, and was charged with aggravated assault after punching a man who broke into his home. After serving the four-year prison sentence early in his MMA career, Means turned his life around.
Mixed martial arts career
King of the Cage
Means returned to MMA in 2009 and reeled off six consecutive victories via first round stoppage, including a nine-second TKO win over Matt Green at KOTC: New Breed. He earned his first title at KOTC: Steel on Oct. 7, 2010 when he defeated Bobby Green to win the KOTC Junior Welterweight (160 lbs) belt. He defended the belt on four occasions, most recently in a first-round TKO victory over Mario Ramos at KOTC: High Performance on Nov. 19, 2011. He added the KOTC Lightweight title with a victory over Tye Brown at KOTC: Total Destruction on Jan. 21, 2012.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Means was expected to face promotional newcomer Abel Trujillo on September 1, 2012 at UFC 151. However, after UFC 151 was cancelled, the bout was rescheduled for December 8, 2012 at UFC on Fox 5. On the day of the weigh-ins for the event, Means fell in a hotel sauna, injuring his head, and was replaced by Marcus LeVesseur.
After his release from the UFC, Means was called to replace Danny Salinas in the main event against Pete Spratt on September 13, 2013, at Legacy FC 23. He won via first-round knockout.
Means then defeated Artenas Young in the first round at Legacy FC 27, on January 31, 2014.
Following two wins on the regional circuit, Means was re-signed by the UFC and lost a unanimous decision to Neil Magny in a welterweight bout on May 10, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 40, replacing William Macário.
Means faced John Howard on December 10, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 80. He won the fight via knockout in the second round. The win also earned Means his second Performance of the Night bonus award.
Means was expected to face Donald Cerrone on February 21, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 83. However, Means was pulled from the fight as a result of a violation of the USADA anti-doping policy. He was replaced by Alex Oliveira.
At the conclusion of his suspension, Means was expected to face Sean Strickland on August 20, 2016 at UFC 202. However Strickland pulled out of the fight in early August citing a knee injury. He was replaced by promotional newcomer Sabah Homasi. Means defeated Homasi by technical knockout in the second round.
Means faced Alex Oliveira on December 30, 2016 at UFC 207. The bout was halted in the first round after Means landed several knees to the head of Oliveira while he was considered a grounded opponent. As a result, Oliveira was unable to continue after the foul occurred. Subsequently, referee Dan Miragliotta judged that the foul was accidental, and in turn, the result was scored a No Contest.
On December 20, 2017 Means announced he had signed a new, five-fight contract with UFC.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Performance of the Night (Two times)
- King of the Cage
- KOTC Lightweight Champion (One time; fourteenth)
- KOTC Junior Welterweight Champion (One time; fifth)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|39 matches||27 wins||10 losses|
|Loss||27–10–1 (1)||Sérgio Moraes||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Anders||February 3, 2018||3||5:00||Belém, Brazil|
|Loss||27–9–1 (1)||Belal Muhammad||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Werdum vs. Tybura||November 19, 2017||3||5:00||Sydney, Australia|
|Win||27–8–1 (1)||Alex Garcia||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Chiesa vs. Lee||June 25, 2017||3||5:00||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States|
|Loss||26–8–1 (1)||Alex Oliveira||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Gastelum||March 11, 2017||2||2:38||Fortaleza, Brazil|
|NC||26–7–1 (1)||Alex Oliveira||NC (illegal knees)||UFC 207||December 30, 2016||1||3:33||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Means landed two knees to Oliveira's head while he was determined to be a grounded opponent.|
|Win||26–7–1||Sabah Homasi||TKO (punches)||UFC 202||August 20, 2016||2||2:56||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||25–7–1||John Howard||KO (punch)||UFC Fight Night: Namajunas vs. VanZant||December 10, 2015||2||0:21||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||24–7–1||Matt Brown||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 189||July 11, 2015||1||4:44||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||24–6–1||George Sullivan||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC on Fox: Machida vs. Rockhold||April 18, 2015||3||3:41||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||23–6–1||Dhiego Lima||TKO (punches)||UFC 184||February 28, 2015||1||2:17||Los Angeles, California, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||22–6–1||Márcio Alexandre Jr.||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Dollaway||December 20, 2014||3||5:00||Barueri, Brazil|
|Win||21–6–1||Hernani Perpétuo||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Lawler vs. Brown||July 26, 2014||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Loss||20–6–1||Neil Magny||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Brown vs. Silva||May 10, 2014||3||5:00||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States|
|Win||20–5–1||Artenas Young||TKO (punches)||Legacy FC 27||January 31, 2014||1||1:38||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Win||19–5–1||Pete Spratt||KO (elbows and punches)||Legacy FC 23||September 13, 2013||1||2:24||San Antonio, Texas, United States||Return to Welterweight.|
|Loss||18–5–1||Danny Castillo||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Moraga||July 27, 2013||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States||Catchweight (160 lbs) bout; Means missed weight.|
|Loss||18–4–1||Jorge Masvidal||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez||April 20, 2013||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||18–3–1||Justin Salas||TKO (knee and punches)||UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall||June 8, 2012||1||1:06||Sunrise, Florida, United States|
|Win||17–3–1||Bernardo Magalhães||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger||February 15, 2012||3||5:00||Omaha, Nebraska, United States|
|Win||16–3–1||Tye Brown||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Total Destruction||January 21, 2012||1||0:30||Thackerville, Oklahoma, United States||Won the vacant KOTC Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||15–3–1||Mario Ramos||TKO (punches)||KOTC: High Performance||November 19, 2011||1||1:07||Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States|
|Win||14–3–1||Cody Pfister||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Kingpin||August 27, 2011||1||2:15||Lubbock, Texas, United States||Defended the KOTC Junior Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||13–3–1||Cris Leyva||TKO (knees and punches)||KOTC: Fight to Live||May 14, 2011||3||1:28||Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States||Defended the KOTC Junior Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||12–3–1||Ricky Musgrave||KO (punches)||ECSC: Friday Night Fights 2||February 11, 2011||3||4:53||Clovis, New Mexico, United States|
|Win||11–3–1||Dom O'Grady||Decision (split)||KOTC: Steel||December 9, 2010||5||5:00||San Bernardino, California, United States||Defended the KOTC Junior Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||10–3–1||Bobby Green||TKO (retirement)||KOTC: Inferno||October 7, 2010||2||5:00||Highland, California, United States||Won the KOTC Junior Welterweight Championship.|
|Draw||9–3–1||Dom O'Grady||Draw (majority)||KOTC: Lock Down||July 30, 2010||3||5:00||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada||Penalized for an elbow to the back of the head.|
|Win||9–3||Cody Garlett||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Honor||May 14, 2010||1||1:17||Mescalero, New Mexico, United States||Middleweight bout.|
|Loss||8–3||Jaime Jara||Submission (guillotine choke)||KOTC: Legacy||March 26, 2010||1||2:19||Reno, Nevada, United States||Middleweight bout.|
|Win||8–2||John Cronk||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Horse Power||November 28, 2009||1||0:46||Mescalero, New Mexico, United States|
|Win||7–2||Marcio Navarro||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Gunslinger||August 8, 2009||1||3:53||Concho, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||6–2||Matt Butterfield||KO (knee)||KOTC: El Lobo||May 23, 2009||1||0:04||Towaoc, Colorado, United States|
|Win||5–2||Matt Green||TKO (punches)||KOTC: New Breed||March 7, 2009||1||0:09||Mescalero, New Mexico, United States|
|Win||4–2||Brad Nordquist||KO (punches)||KOTC: Rapture||February 28, 2009||1||2:07||Towaoc, Colorado, United States|
|Win||3–2||July Guiterrez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Fightworld 4||March 26, 2005||N/A||N/A||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Loss||2–2||Spencer Fisher||Submission (triangle choke)||IFC: Eve Of Destruction||March 5, 2005||1||1:44||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Loss||2–1||Luke Caudillo||TKO (injury)||Ring of Fire 13||September 24, 2004||1||1:40||Castle Rock, Colorado, United States|
|Win||2–0||Nathan Brown||TKO (punches)||Extreme Fighting Championships 2||May 1, 2004||1||N/A||Ardmore, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||1–0||Josh Barlowe||TKO (punches)||Rumble in the Desert||March 13, 2004||N/A||N/A||Grand Junction, Colorado, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC 189 Mendes vs. McGregor". UFC.com. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Brown vs. Silva". UFC.com. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- "Fit NHB Fighters". Archived from the original on July 18, 2015. Retrieved July 12, 2015.
- Means puts the pieces together | Albuquerque Journal Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- "Tim Means - Official UFC® Fighter Profile". UFC.
- "UFC on FOX 5's Tim Means talks career rebirth after surviving shooting, prison sentence, drug addictions -".
- J. Michael Browning. "Tim Means: From A Prison Cell To The Octagon". oneMMA.
- "UFC Profile". ufc.com. February 14, 2012.
- "KOTC Champ Tim Means Signs to Face Bernardo Magalhaes at UFC on Fuel 1". mmaweekly.com. February 2, 2012.
- "Tim Means Vs. Justin Salas Set For UFC on FX 3". bloodyelbow.com. April 7, 2012.
- "Martinez vs. Cruickshank added to UFC 151". MMAJunkie.com. July 20, 2012. Archived from the original on July 23, 2012. Retrieved July 20, 2012.
- "Means-Trujillo moved from scrapped UFC 151 to UFC on FOX 5". mmajunkie.com. August 27, 2012. Archived from the original on August 30, 2012.
- Brand, Jeremy (2012-12-07). "Tim Means out, Marcus LeVesseur in at UFC on FOX 5 against Abel Trujillo". MMAsucka.com. Retrieved 2012-12-07.
- "UFC on FOX 7 adds Masvidal-Means". mmajunkie.com. February 7, 2013.
- Staff (2013-07-11). "Tim Means replaces Bobby Green, faces Danny Castillo at UFC on FOX 8". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- Dann Stupp (August 11, 2013). "After UFC release, Tim Means to fight Pete Spratt in Legacy FC 23 headliner". mmajunkie.com.
- Staff (April 10, 2014). "Tim Means replaces William Macario, meets Neil Magny at UFC Fight Night 40". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Dana Becker (May 22, 2014). "Tim Means To Meet Hernani Perpetuo At UFC On FOX 12". fightling.com. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- Staff (2014-10-17). "Tim Means vs. Marcio Alexandre Jr. slotted for UFC Fight Night 58 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- Tristen Critchfield (2015-01-16). "UFC 184 Update: Tim Means to face Dhiego Lima on Feb. 28 in Los Angeles". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-01-16.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-02-28). "UFC 184 results, photos: Tim Means looks 'Dirty' good in first-round TKO of Dhiego Lima". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-28.
- Matt Erickson (2015-03-01). "UFC 184 bonuses: Of course Ronda Rousey won $50,000. But who joined her?". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-01.
- Staff (2015-03-24). "Tim Means steps in for Kenny Robertson, meets George Sullivan at UFC on FOX 15". mmajunkie.com.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-04-18). "UFC on FOX 15 results: Tim Means submits George Sullivan in Round 3". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-18.
- Staff (2015-04-21). "Matt Brown vs. Tim Means added to UFC 189". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-21.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-07-11). "UFC 189 results: Matt Brown chokes out Tim Means in first after slugfest". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-11.
- Staff (2015-09-17). "UFC Fight Night 80 gets slew of new bouts, including Howard-Means, Graves-Roberts". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-12-10). "UFC Fight Night 80 results: Tim Means knocks John Howard stiff in second round". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- Staff (2015-12-11). "UFC Fight Night 80 bonuses: Namajunas earns $50,000 for domination of VanZant". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-12.
- Matt Erickson (2016-01-01). "'Cowboy' Cerrone moves to 170, meets Tim Means in UFC Fight Night 82 main event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-01-01.
- MMA Junkie Staff (2016-02-04). "Tim Means pulled from UFC Fight Night 83 headliner after failed USADA test". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- Jesse Holland (2016-02-04). "Donald Cerrone vs Alex Oliveira main event on tap for UFC Fight Night 83". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-06-30). "Tim Means returns from suspension to face Sean Strickland at UFC 202". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- John Morgan (2016-08-05). "Sean Strickland out at UFC 202; promotion seeks new opponent for Tim Means". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-05.
- Marc Raimondi (2016-08-09). "Sabah Homasi steps in to face Tim Means at UFC 202". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-08-09.
- Brent Brookhouse (2016-08-20). "UFC 202 results: Tim Means stops bloody Sabah Homasi in second round". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- Staff (2016-10-18). "Tim Means vs. Alex 'Cowboy' Oliveira added to UFC 207 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- Dave Doyle (2016-12-30). "UFC 207 results: Alex Oliveira vs. Tim Means ends in bizarre no-contest". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-12-30.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-12-31). "Manager: Alex Oliveira will appeal UFC 207 no-contest against Tim Means, wants rematch". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- Jesse Holland (2017-02-01). "Tim Means vs. Alex Oliveira rematch headed to UFC Fight Night 106 in Brazil". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- Ben Fowlkes (2017-03-11). "UFC Fight Night 106 results: Alex Oliveira submits Tim Means in second in heated rematch". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Themistoklis Alexis (2017-05-15). "Tm Means draws Alex Garcia at UFC Oklahoma City". thescore.com. Retrieved 2017-05-15.
- "UFC Fight Night 112 results: Tim Means picks up decision win over Alex Garcia (highlights) | BJPenn.com". | BJPenn.com. 2017-06-25. Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- Shawn Bitter (2017-10-11). "Tim Means vs. Belal Muhammad in the works for UFC Sydney". mma-today.com. Retrieved 2017-10-11.
- "UFC Fight Night 121 results: Belal Muhammad takes split from Tim Means, calls out Colby Covington". MMAjunkie. 2017-11-19. Retrieved 2017-11-19.
- "Welterweight Tim Means announces new five-fight contract with UFC". mmajunkie.com. 2017-12-20.
- DNA, MMA. "Tim Means vervangt binnen een aantal uren Abubakar Nurmagomedov tegen Sergio Moraes". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-01-05.
- "UFC Fight Night 125 results: Sergio Moraes edges Tim Means in back-and-forth affair". MMAjunkie. 2018-02-04. Retrieved 2018-02-04.
- "Tim Means says UFC paid his win bonus for UFC-Belem split-decision loss to Moraes". MMAjunkie. 2018-03-07. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- Adam Hill (2018-08-30). "Tim Means will look to end 2-fight slide at 'TUF' 28 Finale". reviewjournal.com. Retrieved 2018-08-30.