Tim Miller (yoga teacher)
Life and work
Miller was the first American certified by K. Pattabhi Jois to teach Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga and was one of the first to bring Ashtanga Yoga to the United States. Vanity Fair refers to Miller as one of Jois' "best known students", and The New York Times refers to Miller as "one of the first Ashtanga teachers in United States." Yoga Journal named him as one of the 10 most influential yoga teachers in America.
Miller met Jois in Encinitas, California in 1978 after practicing yoga for only 8 months. He went to India to study under Jois, and decided to teach yoga. He became Director of the Ashtanga Yoga Center in Encinitas, California in 1981; it has since moved premises several times.
Books & DVDs
- Tim Miller, Ashtanga Yoga at the House of Yoga & Zen on Maui, CustomFlix (DVD), (2010)
- K. Pattabhi Jois, Ashtanga Yoga, 1st and 2nd Series, Yoga Works Productions (VHS tapes), Santa Monica, California (1996)
- Larry Schultz and Janice Gates, Ashtanga Yoga As Taught By Shri K. Pattabhi Jois, Foreword by Tim Miller (1997)
- Schneider 2003, pp. 60-65.
- Yoga Journal, Nov 2001: Teacher to Teacher: There's No Place Like Home, Tim Miller and Sarah Powers discuss the pros and cons of attending formal classes versus practicing on your own. By Fernando Pages Ruiz
- Yoga Journal Magazine March 2001: Armchair Yogi: Tim Miller
- Yoga Journal Website: Expert Q&A: Easing Ujjayi Breathing by Tim Miller
- Yoga for Men: Postures for Healthy, Stress-Free Living, page 72, By Thomas Claire, ISBN 978-1-56414-665-6
- Anon (2013-05-19). "Whose Yoga Is it, Anyway?". Vanity Fair. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- Jane Gross (February 27, 2004). "Journeys; In the Yucatán: All Yoga, All the Time". The New York Times. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- "10 Influential Yoga Teachers Who Have Shaped Yoga in America". Yoga Journal. 2016-02-08.
- Yoga Journal Magazine: Jul-Aug 3003: OMPAGE, Talking Shop with Tim Miller
- "A Brief History of Ashtanga Yoga in Encinitas". Ashtanga Yoga Center, Encinitas. Retrieved 25 August 2019.
- Gregory Dennis (3 October 1991). "Some New Twists to the Art of Yoga". Los Angeles Times.
- Yoga Journal Magazine: December 1995: Yoga, Mind, & Spirit at the Hyatt Regency, San Francisco
- Yoga Journal Magazine: Google Books Archives
- San Diego Magazine Jun 2006
- Schneider, Carrie (2003). American Yoga: The Paths and Practices of America's Greatest Yoga Masters. Barnes & Noble. pp. 60–65. ISBN 0-7607-4558-7.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)