||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (August 2009)|
|Origin||Santa Barbara, California, USA|
|Genres||Alternative rock, power pop, pop punk|
|Years active||1998–present (Hiatus 2009-present)|
V2 (Currently Unsigned)
|Past members||Ben Davis|
Sugarcult // is an American rock band from Santa Barbara, California formed in 1998. The band currently consists of Tim Pagnotta (lead vocals, rhythm guitar), Airin Older (bass guitar, backing vocals), Marko DeSantis (commonly known as "Marko 72") (lead guitar), and Kenny Livingston (drums, percussion).
Tim Pagnotta met ex-drummer Ben Davis during a cigarette break at school. Davis (who then played bass) and Pagnotta started to play together on a regular basis. Pagnotta met Airin Older in a music class where Pagnotta was copying Older's work. They became good friends and Pagnotta invited Older to join his band. Davis moved to the position of drummer and Older filled in for Davis on bass. Marko DeSantis was added into the band after meeting Pagnotta backstage at a Superdrag concert. The pair apparently met because Pagnotta was wearing a suit that resembled the one DeSantis wore to the show. Pagnotta asked DeSantis to join the band before even hearing him play a single note on the guitar.
Early releases (1999–2003)
Sugarcult released their debut album, Eleven, in 1999. Their second album, Wrap Me Up in Plastic, was released in 2000. In 2001, the band released their third album, Start Static, which featured the hit singles "Pretty Girl", "Bouncing Off The Walls" (which featured in "Van Wilder." This was a new recording and mix of the song, produced by Mark Trombino at harddrive analog and digital in NoHo) and "Stuck in America". In early 2003, "Stuck in America" won the Los Angeles Regional Poll in The 2nd Annual Independent Music Awards. Start Static featured several songs that had previously been released on Wrap Me Up in Plastic. In May 2002, the band re-released Wrap Me Up in Plastic with a new tracklisting that included songs from both Eleven and the original Wrap Me Up in Plastic, as well as new artwork. In 2003, Ben Davis officially left Sugarcult. Davis had been regularly missing shows since the release of Start Static, and left Sugarcult to get help for his alcoholism. Pagnotta was close to Davis, and wrote the song "Champagne" about his addictions when he was forced to leave the band. Davis was replaced by Kenny Livingston, the former drummer for the band Lefty. Sugarcult toured with Green Day in Japan for one week in March 2005, but Marko had to miss the final show because his wife was giving birth to their first child.
Later releases (2004–2008)
On April 13, 2004, Sugarcult released Palm Trees and Power Lines and performed on Late Night with Conan O'Brien. This album featured the MTV hits "Memory" (featured in Burnout 3 and NHL 2005) and "She's the Blade". Sugarcult successfully landed a spot on the Warped Tour 2004 main stage and they also supported Green Day on their American Idiot tour and Blink 182 on their 2004 European tour. They released Back to the Disaster, a live album, in 2005. Lights Out, their latest studio album, was released on September 12, 2006. The release of Lights Out was immediately followed by two tours; a fall tour and a winter tour. Their fall tour included So They Say, Maxeen, Halifax, and The Spill Canvas. Their winter tour included such bands as Meg and Dia, Damone, The Pink Spiders, All Time Low, and The Adored. In 2006, Sugarcult song 'Do It Alone' was featured on the CW's show One Tree Hill during Season and in the film Employee Of The Month. Sugarcult played at the Soundwave Tour in 2008.
The band members took a year off in 2009 from Sugarcult for their 10 year anniversary to do their own side-projects. They were neither broken up, nor were known to be working on new Sugarcult material as of mid-2010.
At the end of 2010, they announced that they would play at least two shows in the United Kingdom and then perform at the Belgium music festival Groezrock, all at the end of April.
Sugarcult (with original drummer Ben Davis) played a one-off show at the Chain Reaction in Anaheim, California on December 10, 2011, where they celebrated the tenth anniversary of the release of Start Static.
More recently, Tim Pagnotta has had success as a producer for bands such as Neon Trees and Walk the Moon. Marko DeSantis has done several shows as a DJ in the Southern California area. For a short time, Airin Older was a producer and played various instruments for Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
- Current members
- Tim Pagnotta – lead vocals, rhythm guitar (1998–present)
- Airin Older – bass guitar, backing vocals (1998–present)
- Marko DeSantis – lead guitar (1998–present)
- Kenny Livingston – drums (2003–present)
- Former members
- Ben Davis – drums, backing vocals (1998–2003, 2011)
- Eleven (1999)
- Wrap Me Up in Plastic (2000)
- Start Static (2001) No. 194 US
- Palm Trees and Power Lines (2004) No. 46 US
- Lights Out (2006) No. 64
- Rewind 2001–2008 (2008)
|Year||Title||Album||US Alternative Songs position||UK Singles Chart position|
|2001||"Bouncing Off The Walls"||Start Static||40||98|
|"Stuck in America"||—||91|
|2002||"Pretty Girl (The Way)"||30||—|
|2004||"She's the Blade"||Palm Trees and Power Lines||—||—|
|2006||"Do It Alone"||Lights Out||40||—|
- 24 (2001)
- "Bouncing Off the Walls" can be heard during the series premiere
- Max Keeble's Big Move (2001)
- "Stuck In America" can be heard when Max is getting of the school bus for the first time.
- National Lampoon's Van Wilder (2002)
- Old School (2003)
- "Bouncing Off the Walls" can be heard during the TV ads
- American Wedding (2003)
- "Bouncing Off the Walls" can be heard during the end credits
- Burnout 3: Takedown (2004)
- "Memory" was featured on the soundtrack.
- Playboy: The Mansion (2005)
- "Champagne" was featured in Soundtracks in Rock Genre
- Lovewrecked (2005)
- "Memory" can be heard when Jenny and Ryan spend the day at the beach together.
- American Pie Presents: The Naked Mile (2006)
- "Stuck in America" can be heard near the end of the naked-mile run
- America's Funniest Home Videos
- "Bouncing Off the Walls" is used as the sound behind a musical montage in a 2006 episode.
- Employee of the Month (2006)
- played during an episode in session 2 of Phineas and Ferb
- "Do It Alone" can be heard during the movie
- One Tree Hill (2006)
- "Do It Alone" was featured during a montage of scenes in the sixth episode of Season 4
- Burnout Dominator (2007)
- "Dead Living" was featured on the soundtrack.
- Burnout Paradise (2007)
- "Dead Living" was featured on the soundtrack.
- Moonlight (2007)
- "Los Angeles" is heard in the extended promo for this series.
- Over Her Dead Body (2008)
- "I Melt with You" plays while Kate and Henry are in the car going on holiday.
- Dr. Dolittle: Tail to the Chief (2008)
- "Do It Alone" is heard at the party that Courtney sneaks off to.
- Bones (2008)
- "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" was featured a scene in the episode of Season 3 "The Santa in the Slush".
- Wangan Midnight - The Movie (2009)
- "Riot" plays during the restoration of the 'Devil-Z'.
- KCAL 9 and KTTV News featured the song Los Angeles for their commercials
- "I Melt With You" can be heard in the background a few times in the BUYMORE.
- Allen, Jamie (March 22, 2000). "Sugarcult boasts the sweet sounds of yesterday". CNN. Retrieved 2007-05-14.
- Black Velvet, Shari. "All Roads Lead To Sugarcult". Retrieved 2007-05-14.
Bouncing off the Walls is on the main menu for the movie: Van Wilder
- Official website
- Sugarcult on MySpace
- Fearless Records
- Pure Volume
- Video interview with Marko and Tim
- Burning Stars interview with Tim
- Cut N' Dry Talent Radio presents Sugarcult