Tim Smith (baseball)
|Quebec Capitals – No. 25|
June 14, 1986 |
|Baseball World Cup|
|2011 Panama City||National team|
|Pan American Games|
|2011 Guadalajara||National team|
|2015 Toronto||National team|
Timothy James "Tim" Smith (born June 14, 1986) is a Canadian professional baseball outfielder for the Quebec Capitales. Prior to beginning his professional career, he played college baseball at Arizona State University. Smith has also competed for the Canadian national baseball team.
Smith attended Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute, where he was named to the High School Baseball All-Star Team by the Toronto Star after his senior year. Drafted by the New York Mets in the 21st round (614th overall) of the 2004 Major League Baseball (MLB) draft, Smith opted to go to college instead of signing. He enrolled at Midland College, a junior college, where he set school records for career average (.459), OBP (.547), slugging (.736) and steals (41). and after one season, Smith was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 17th round (505th overall) of the 2005 MLB draft, but again, he did not sign.
Smith transferred to Arizona State University, where he played college baseball for the Arizona State Sun Devils baseball team in the Pacific-10 Conference of the NCAA Division I. The Sun Devils reached the 2007 College World Series.
Following the 2007 season, Smith was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 7th round of the 2007 MLB draft. He was a Midwest League All-Star in 2008, winning All-Star Game Most Valuable Player honors. On September 3, 2009, the Rangers traded Smith and Manny Piña to the Kansas City Royals for Danny Gutierrez. Smith was a Texas League All-Star in 2010.
Offered the choice between serving as a backup in Class AAA or being released, Smith opted for free agency. Smith signed with the Atlanta Braves in April 2012. In January 2013, Smith signed with the Baltimore Orioles.
Smith has played for the Canadian national baseball team. In 2011, he participated in the 2011 Baseball World Cup, winning the bronze medal, and the Pan American Games, winning the gold medal. At the Pan American Games, Smith was second on the Canadian team in batting average (.350) and on-base plus slugging percentage (.985).
- Zwolinski, Mark (June 24, 2004). "Jays end D-Rays' streak with 10th-inning rally; Tampa Bay loses for first time after 12 straight wins Catalanotto hints quick return from injury isn't likely".
- "Search Results". Midland Reporter-Telegram. February 5, 2006.
- Leroy, Oscar (February 5, 2006). "Lofty Goals Smith, Chaparrals look to regain their WJCAC swagger". Midland Reporter-Telegram. Retrieved March 9, 2012. (subscription required)
- "Baseball Canada emerging into powerhouse under Hamilton's watch". Fox News. November 8, 2011.
- Tim Smith of the Clinton Lumberkings is named MVP of the Midwest League All-Star Game | MLive.com
- Lonestar Ball.com
- Good defense preserves win for South at Texas League All-Star Game – San Antonio Express-News
- Canada golden on baseball's world stage | Bob Elliott | Columnists | Sports | London Free Press
- Emrich, Robert (October 26, 2011). "Van Ostrand, Canada take Pan Am gold | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Minor League Baseball. Retrieved January 12, 2012.