|Alma mater||St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical College|
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
|Occupation||Professor of genetic epidemiology, science writer|
Spector is professor of genetic epidemiology and director of the TwinsUK registry at King's College, London. He is a specialist in twin studies, genetics, epigenetics, and microbiome and diet.
The Diet Myth
Spector authored The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat in 2015. The book explains how gut microbiotas interact with different dietary habits and how the gut microbiome can determine health and longevity. It received positive reviews in science journals. Spector argues for a diet that increases gut microbe diversity. To do this he recommends increasing fibre content, avoiding junk and processed foods and experimenting with different fresh foods.
- Identically Different: Why You Can Change Your Genes. 2012.
- The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat. 2015.
- Spoon-Fed: Why Almost Everything We’ve Been Told About Food is Wrong. 2020.
- "Tim Spector - Research Portal, King's College, London". Kclpure.kcl.ac.uk. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- Jozuka, Emiko (2016-05-27). "Ditch the diet if you want to lose weight says genetic expert Tim Spector | WIRED UK". Wired.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- Elsa Vulliamy. "Want to to [sic] lose weight? Try eating chocolate and drinking wine". The Independent. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- "No. 63142". The London Gazette (Supplement). 10 October 2020. p. B67.
- "The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved November 30, 2018.
- "Magical microbes – how to feed your gut". The Guardian. Retrieved November 30, 2018.
- "‘The Diet Myth,’ ‘The Good Gut’ and ‘The Hidden Half of Nature’". The New York Times. Retrieved November 30, 2018.
- Handysides, Stuart. (2016). Books: The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat. British Journal of General Practice 66 (648): 378–379.
- "Tim Spector: Go with your gut". British Medical Journal. Retrieved November 30, 2018.
- Craig, Jeffrey M. (2016). Myths Microbes and Manipulation—Sensible Advice From the Diet Inspector: A Review of The Diet Myth by Tim Spector. Twin Research and Human Genetics 19 (4): 404-405.
- "Advice from the Experts: Top Diet Tips from Professor Tim Spector". King's Alumni Community. Retrieved November 30, 2018.
- "From 30 vegetables a week to faecal transplants: Keeping your gut microbiome happy is the key to healthy eating". The Independent. Retrieved November 30, 2018.
- "Advice against eating fat was wrong. It is time the experts admitted it". Spectator Health. Retrieved November 30, 2018.
- Peter Forbes. "Identically Different: Why You Can Change Your Genes by Tim Spector – review | Books". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- Bee Wilson. "Spoon-Fed by Tim Spector review – food myths busted". The Guardian. Retrieved 2021-01-28.