March 29, 1959 |
Wenonah, New Jersey, U.S.A
Timothy S. “Tim” Squyres (born March 29, 1959) is an American film editor with about 30 film credits. Squyres has had an extended collaboration with the Taiwanese director Ang Lee, having edited all but one of Lee's feature films. His latest collaboration with Jonathan Demme on the film A Master Builder opened in New York during June 2014 and was based on the 19th century play by Henrik Ibsen.
Life and career
Squyres was born in Wenonah, New Jersey. He is the brother of Steve Squyres, professor of astronomy at Cornell University. Both brothers attended Cornell after attending Gateway Regional High School in New Jersey.
Squyres has edited all of Ang Lee's films except for Brokeback Mountain, including The Wedding Banquet (1993), Eat Drink Man Woman (1994), Sense and Sensibility (1995), Ride with the Devil (1999), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), The Hire: Chosen (2001), Hulk (2003), Lust, Caution (2007), Taking Woodstock (2009) and Life of Pi (2012). Squyres served as editor of Angelina Jolie's adaptation of Unbroken, released on December 25, 2014.
Squyres' work on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) earned nominations for the Academy Award for Best Film Editing, the BAFTA Award for Best Editing, the American Cinema Editors Eddie Award, among other awards. His work on Gosford Park (directed by Robert Altman – 2001) was also nominated for an Eddie. In 2012, he was also nominated for the Academy Award for Life of Pi.
- Tim Squyres at the Internet Movie Database
- Shyrock, Bob. "South Jersey native nominated for Oscar for 'Life of Pi'", South Jersey Times, January 12, 2013. Accessed October 24, 2015. "Former Wenonah resident Tim Squyres, who has edited 11 of director Ang Lee’s 12 films, has been nominated for an Oscar for his work on Lee’s acclaimed fantasy adventure Life of Pi.... Nominated for an Oscar previously for editing Lee’s Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Squyres is a graduate of Gateway Regional High School and Cornell University whose parents reside in Wenonah. The father of two, Squyres now lives in Maplewood in Essex County."
- Marchant, Beth (August 28, 2009). "Taking Woodstock, Cut by Cut: Tim Squyres and Mike Fay talk about editing Ang Lee's latest film". Studio Monthly. Squyres was unavailable for Brokeback Mountain due to a scheduling conflict with editing Syriana.
- "Tim Squyres – Awards". imdb.com.
- "American Cinema Editors – Members", webpage archived by WebCite from this original URL on 2008-03-04.
|This article about an American film editor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|