Tim Sweeney (game developer)
This article is incomplete.(December 2015)
Sweeney presents at the 2016 Game Developers Conference
|Born||December 1970 (age 47)
Potomac, Maryland, United States
|Occupation||Video game programmer and developer|
|Known for||Developing the Unreal series of engines|
|Awards||AIAS Hall of Fame Award (2012)|
Sweeney established Epic as a shareware company while he was a student majoring in mechanical engineering at the University of Maryland. He said that he had been interested in game development and computer programming since he was 10 years old, and finally started making games out of his parents' basement where he lived. Epic got its start when Sweeney created ZZT, the company's first game, released as a shareware in 1991. In interviews Sweeney has credited that game's success with fueling the early growth of his company. Sweeney later worked on Epic's Unreal Engine, used in the Unreal series of first-person shooters and multiple other video games.
In 2005, Sweeney attended Wake Tech Community College Digital Game Xpo as a guest speaker. He showed a demo of the Unreal Engine and talked about 3D Buzz's book "Mastering Unreal Technology: The Art of Level Design".
- "D.I.C.E Special Awards". Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- Edwards, Benj (May 25, 2009). "Features - From The Past To The Future: Tim Sweeney Talks". Gamasutra. Retrieved August 9, 2017.
- Totilo, Stephen (12 July 2011). "The Quiet Tinkerer Who Makes Games Beautiful Finally Gets His Due". Kotaku. Retrieved 2014-09-06.
- DeMaria, Rusel; Wilson, Johnny L. (2003). High score!: the illustrated history of electronic games. Computer Games. McGraw-Hill Professional. p. 300. ISBN 0-07-223172-6.
- "Twilight of the GPU: an epic interview with Tim Sweeney". Arstechnica.com. Retrieved 2012-11-06.
- "Epic Games to Demo Unreal Engine 3 at Digital Game Expo in June". Prweb.com. Retrieved 2012-11-06.
- Epic Games (7 December 2011). "Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences Inducts Epic Games' Tim Sweeney to Its Hall of Fame". Epic Games. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Sarkar, Samit (27 June 2013). "Epic Games' Tim Sweeney, Mark Rein to receive Develop magazine's Development Legend awards". Polygon. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Takahasi, Dean (January 20, 2017). "Epic Games' Tim Sweeney to receive lifetime achievement award at GDC". Venture Beat. Retrieved January 20, 2017.
- Tim Sweeney on Twitter
- Tim Sweeney of Epic Games: A Critical Look at Programming Languages (archived)
- Talking with Tim Sweeney about the evolution of a game engine (archived)
- Tim Sweeney discusses the Unreal Engine (archived)
- Epic Games: Tim Sweeney Interview (archived)
- ZZT group Interactive Fantasies interview with Tim Sweeney (November 17, 2000)
- Twilight of the GPU: an epic interview with Tim Sweeney (September 14, 2008)
- From The Past To The Future: Tim Sweeney Talks (May 25, 2009)
- Epic's Tim Sweeney on Virtual Reality and the Future of Civilization (January 8, 2017)