Life and career
Born in England in 1970, Walker’s interest in photography began at the Condé Nast library in London where he worked on the Cecil Beaton archive for a year before college. After obtaining an HBC in Photography at Exeter College of Art, Walker was awarded a third prize as The Independent Young Photographer Of The Year.
Upon leaving college in 1994, Walker worked as a freelance photographic assistant in London before moving to New York City as a full-time assistant to Richard Avedon. When he returned to England, he initially concentrated on portrait and documentary work for British newspapers. At the age of 25 he shot his first fashion story for Vogue, and has photographed for the British, Italian, and American editions, as well as W and LOVE magazines ever since.
- Pictures, Design Museum, London, 2008
- Story Teller, Somerset House, London, 2012/2013
- Dreamscapes, Bowes Museum, Durham, UK, 2013. Curated by Greville Worthington. Work beyond the pages of Vogue and Vanity Fair.
- Wonderful Things, Victoria and Albert Museum, London, 2019/2020, Galleries 38 and 38a Consisting of 10 rooms containing new projects, each one inspired by various artefacts from the V&A. Over the course of three years, Walker visited the V&A’s numerous storerooms, met with curators and technicians, even scaled the roof of the museum and climbed through the Victorian passages underneath it, in search of the items that would inspire each series.
- Wonderful People, Michael Hoppen Gallery, London, 2019/2020
- Tim Walker. Stern Portfolio. teNeues, 2006.
- Pictures. teNeues, 2008.
- The Lost Explorer. teNeues, 2011.
- Story Teller. Thames & Hudson, 2012. ISBN 9780500544204.
- The Granny Alphabet. Thames & Hudson, 2013. ISBN 9780500544266.
- The Garden of Earthly Delights.
- Shoot for the Moon. Thames & Hudson, 2019. ISBN 9780500545027.
Short films directed by Walker
- The Lost Explorer (BBC Films, 2010)
- The Mechanical Man of the Moon (2014)
- The Muse (2014)
- The Magic Paintbrush (2016)
Music videos co-directed by Walker
- Isabella Blow award for Fashion Creator from The British Fashion Council, 2008
- Infinity Award from the International Center of Photography, New York City, 2009
- Best short film, Chicago United Film Festival, 2011, for The Lost Explorer
- Honorary Fellowship from The Royal Photographic Society, 2012
Walker's photography is held in the archives of the following collections:
Other work can be located in two permanent collection galleries, featuring two of his films -
The Steadfast Tin Soldier • The Modern Media Gallery, Room 99
The Rebel Belle • Theatre & Performance, Room 104
- Lewis, Tim (15 September 2019). "Tim Walker: 'There's an extremity to my interest in beauty'". The Observer. ISSN 0029-7712. Retrieved 2020-01-05 – via www.theguardian.com.
- "V&A to show biggest-ever exhibition of fashion photographer Tim Walker". The Independent. 21 March 2019. Retrieved 2020-01-05.
- "Tim Walker-Pictures". Design Museum. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Tim Walker: Story Teller exhibition at Somerset House". Somerset House. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- Cochrane, Lauren (18 October 2012). "Tim Walker: Story Teller exhibition at Somerset House". Wallpaper. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Tim Walker 'Dreamscapes', Bowes Museum, Durham".
- "Tim Walker: Dreamscapes". Art Fund. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- Marriott, Hannah (16 September 2019). "Tim Walker: Wonderful Things review – a vibrant and upbeat V&A show". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2020-01-05 – via www.theguardian.com.
- "Tim Walker at the V&A Review: A bewitching ode to art, artefact and fashion". The Independent. 18 September 2019. Retrieved 2020-01-05.
- "Tim Walker - Works". Michael Hoppen Gallery. Retrieved 2020-01-05.
- Hume, Marion (12 August 2010). "The Lost Explorer: Tim Walker's flight of fancy". ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2020-01-05 – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
- "British Fashion Awards- 2008". British Fashion Council. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Infinity Awards 2009". International Center of Photography. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Chicago United Film Festival Website".
- "Royal Photographic Society Awards 2012" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-12-11.
- "Tim Walker photographs in the V&A Collection".
- "Best photographs from the V&A collection, in pictures". The Telegraph. 5 April 2017. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2020-01-05 – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
- "Tim Walker - Person - National Portrait Gallery". www.npg.org.uk.