Tim Wright (musician)
- For UK musician and recording artist, see Tim Wright (UK musician)
|Birth name||Timothy Brian Wright|
|Also known as||CoLD SToRAGE|
|Born||31 July 1967|
|Origin||Cymau, Wrexham, Wales|
Video Repair Technician
Tim Wright (born 31 July 1967), alias CoLD SToRAGE, is a Welsh video game music composer most known for his work in video game soundtracks such as Shadow of the Beast II & III, Agony, Lemmings, Wipeout and Colony Wars.
Wright left Sony in 1997 to form Jester Interactive Limited with the key goal of developing music creation software for home consoles. In his role as Creative Director at Jester he designed MUSIC and MUSIC 2000 for the PlayStation and MTV Music Generator and MUSIC 3000 for the PlayStation 2 before leaving along with his brothers to form Checkmate Solutions Limited.
At Checkmate Wright developed several musical sequencing products for Empire Interactive plc. under the eJay brand. After several products were developed Wright left to form his own company, Tantrumedia Limited.
Wright currently manages Tantrumedia Limited and their audio division  where he composes music, designs music sequencing software and oversees the production of websites and other multimedia projects.
While working as a computer programmer for Littlewoods/Index The Catalogue Shop In the late 1980s, Wright penned compositions for computer based Demos, one of these entitled Puggs In Space caught the eye of Psygnosis' then Managing Director, Ian Hetherington. This led to Wright creating music for a number of Psygnosis' Amiga and Atari ST games, some of which won awards. This initial freelance work eventually led to him leaving his programming job for Littlewoods and going to work full-time at Psygnosis Ltd as their Senior Sound Artist on projects such as Lemmings, Wipeout, Wipeout 2097 and Colony Wars (refer to Video Gameography below for full list of titles).
Leaving Psygnosis in 1997, Wright was involved in the formation of Jester Interactive Ltd  with the intention of bringing music creation and mixing to Sony's original PlayStation console. The MUSICtm and MTV Music Generator series received industry awards & accolades, and spawned several incarnations of the MUSICtm Software before Wright finally departed with his brother Lee to form Checkmate Solutions Limited to design a new range of eJay music sequencing software.
In 2003, Wright formed his own multimedia company called Tantrumedia Ltd, involved in web space provision, website creation, software production, design & print and, of course, music. He also set up an official website to host much of his musical output under the name.
In 2005, as well as releasing the Cold Storage double album Melt, he designed a new version of the Dance & HipHop eJay music software for Empire Interactive, and made a return to Wipeout, this time for the Sony PSP with Wipeout Pure.
2006 saw Wright create more music for games, this time on Nintendo DS, Sony PSP and PC for forthcoming titles.
In 2008 Wright released his Android Child and Cold Storage HD albums.
In 2009 Wright penned music for more games on DS, Wii and PS3, most notably Gravity Crash. He also released his 4th Studio Album entitled Project Moonbounce 2009 which features sounds created by bouncing radio signals off the moon  as part of World Moonbounce or EME (Earth Moon Earth) day.
The soundtrack album to Sony's PS3 game Gravity Crash is released in 2010 and is Wright's 5th Studio Album entitled Gravity Crash Anthems. This is quickly followed by his 6th Studio Album, Tik Tak.
Wright creates his longest track ever Tangerine which weighs in at 9 minutes and 31 seconds. This track is given away free to anyone who participates in a 2010 Cold Storage Easter Promotion, and as such is a limited edition download, unavailable in the public domain. ( This track was finally released to all on the Bandcamp service at Easter 2015 ).
Timothy Brian Wright was born at 6 Fford Las, Cymau, North Wales and spent his formative years attending the nearby Llanfynydd County Primary School, a Welsh first language school. He exhibited musical aspirations at the age of 3, singing self-penned songs into a portable cassette recorder.
At the age of 5 he moved with his family to a farm just outside Henllan in North Wales. At the age of seven he began attending weekly formal Piano lessons. Wright lived on the farm with his mother, father and 4 siblings until he was 18, attending both Henllan County Primary School and Denbigh High School.
In his early teens he formed a short lived band called TUCAN with a fellow student. After completing his A Level examinations, he moved away to attend the Polytechnic of North London where he studied Electronics and Communications Engineering for 2 years. Whilst at college he also formed another two-man band in the shape of the snappily named Infinite Remix III Jnr.
Upon his return to Wales after his studies, he worked for 6 months at Sharp Manufacturing UK in Llay near Wrexham, but quickly moved on to work for Littlewoods in Liverpool, where he was part of the core team that programmed the in-house software for Index The Catalogue Shop. It was soon after moving to the Wirral that he also met and eventually married his first wife Michelle.
Leaving Littlewoods he spent 4 very prolific years at Psygnosis before leaving to form Jester Interactive with his brother. It was around this time that he also met his second wife Claire. 2003 saw Wright leave Jester to form Checkmate Solutions Limited again with his brother Lee.
In 2006, Checkmate Solutions Limited was dissolved leaving Wright to Manage Tantrumedia Limited, a company he originally incorporated in 2003 as a vehicle for his work on websites and music production.
Wright currently lives on the Wirral in the United Kingdom and has one son called Jacob.
- Puggs in Space (Amiga, 1989)
- Awesome (Amiga, 1990)
- Carthage (Amiga, 1990)
- Tentacle (Eldritch the Cat, Amiga, 1990)
- The Killing Game Show [FMV Intro] (Amiga, 1990)
- Lemmings (Amiga, 1990)
- Shadow of the Beast 2 (Amiga, 1990)
- Armour-Geddon (Amiga, 1990)
- Leander (Amiga, 1991)
- Amnios (Amiga, 1991)
- Powermonger (Amiga, 1991)
- Lost Souls (Atari ST, 1991)
- Agony (Amiga, 1992)
- Aquaventura (Amiga, 1992)
- Shadow of the Beast 3 (Amiga, 1992)
- Lemmings & Oh No! More Lemmings (Amiga, DOS, Macintosh, PlayStation, Windows, 1992)
- Holiday Lemmings (Amiga, DOS, Macintosh, 1992)
- Puggsy (Amiga, 1993)
- Last Action Hero (Mega-CD, 1993)
- Combat Air Patrol (PC, 1993)
- Phoenix Rising (Mega-CD, 1993)
- Sensible Soccer (Mega-CD, 1993)
- Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Mega-CD, 1994)
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (Mega-CD, 1994)
- Microcosm (Amiga CD32, 1994)
- No Escape (Mega-CD, 1994)
- Mickey Mania (Mega-CD, 1994)
- Magician's Castle (Amiga, 1994)
- Wipeout (PlayStation, Sega Saturn, N64, PC, 1995)
- Flink (Amiga CD32, Sega Mega Drive, Sega Mega-CD, 1995)
- Wipeout 2097 (Amiga, PlayStation, Sega Saturn, PC, 1996)
- Krazy Ivan (PlayStation, Sega Saturn, PC, 1996)
- Formula One (PlayStation, PC, 1996)
- Adidas PowerSport Soccer (PlayStation, 1996)
- Chomper (Psion 3, Psion 5, Psion Revo, 1997)
- Thunder Truck Rally (PlayStation, PC, 1997)
- Codename: Tenka (PlayStation, 1997)
- Colony Wars (PlayStation, 1997)
- Brainless (PlayStation, 1998)
- WipEout64 (N64, 1998)
- MUSIC: Music Creation for the PlayStation (PlayStation, 1998)
- Tellurian Defence (PC, 1999)
- Music 2000 / MTV Music Generator (PlayStation, PC, 1999)
- MTV Music Generator 2 (PS2, 2001)
- Supertruck Racing (PS2, 2002)
- Pocket Music (Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, 2002)
- Music 2002 Slinky Club Edition (PC, 2002)
- Music 3000 / Funkmaster Flex's Digital Hitz Factory (PS2, 2003)
- Jet Set Willy (JAVA Mobile Phone, 2004)
- Wipeout Pure (PlayStation Portable, 2005)
- Ring Factory (PC, 2005)
- Dance eJay 7 (PC, 2005)
- HipHop eJay 6 (PC, 2005)
- Techno eJay 5 (PC, 2006)
- R&B eJay 1 (PC, 2007)
- eJay Virtual Music Studio (PC, 2007)
- Sudoku (NDS, 2007)
- TT Superbike Legends (PS2, 2008)
- eJay eQuality (PC, 2008)
- Spellbound Party (Wii, 2009)
- Spellbound (NDS, 2009)
- Gravity Crash (PS3/PSP, 2009)
- Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (Xbox 360/PS3/Wii/DS/PC/Mobile, 2010)
- Skillz (Xbox/PC, 2010)
- Sodium 2 (PS3, 2011)
- Psychroma (iOS, 2011)
- Extreme Bingo (Facebook, 2012)
- Adventure Dungeon (iOS, 2012)
- Travel Bug (PSVita, 2012)
- Boxbeats (PS3, 2012)
- Table Top Racing (iOS, 2013)
- Write Your Own Music (Xbox360, 2013)
- Slipstream GX (PC, 2013)
- Table Top Racing (Android/PSVita, 2014)
- Gravity Crash (PS Vita, 2014)
- Dynablaster Revenge (PC, 2014)
- Gravity Crash Ultra (PS4/PS Vita, 2014)
- XTM - The Game Mix (CD Album, 1993)
- CD Consoles - LE MAGAZINE DES SCREENAGERS: Music Collector 1 (CD Album, 1996)
- JOYPAD - le mag des consoles: Joypad CD LE BEST OF DE PSYGNOSIS (CD Album, 1997)
- Psygnosis: The Future Is Now (CD Album, 1997)
- Amiga Immortal 2 (Album, 2002)
- Henllan School Centenary (CD Single: Short Run Welsh/English, 2004)
- MELT (Album, 2005)
- WipEout Pure: The Official Soundtrack (Album, 2005)
- Amiga Immortal 3 (Album, 2006)
- ANDROID CHILD (Album, 2008)
- Albino 2 - The Red Eye Mix (Single, 2008)
- CoLD SToRAGE HD (Album, 2008)
- Project Moonbounce 2009 (Album, 2009)
- Gravity Crash (Virtual Vinyl Single) (Single, 2009)
- Smile Inside (Single, 2009)
- Dancing Dad - Christmas Hero! (Single, 2009)
- Gravity Crash Anthems (Album, 2010)
- Tik Tak (Album, 2010)
- Tangerine (Limited Edition Single - Easter Sale Promotion, 2010)
- Yin+Yang (Double 'A' Side Single, 2010)
- Amiga Immortal 4 (Album, 2011)
- 6E 61 32 (Album, 2011)
- Escape from Barkhaven ( Single A & B Side, 2011 )
- AMIGA Revisited 2011 ( 5 track compilation Album, 2011 )
- Chipfest 6 - The Rehearsal Tapes ( 6 track Album, 2011 )
- Evolution (Dirty War) ( Single, 2011 )
- CANADA E.P. ( Single A & B Side, 2012 )
- Orpheus - per due pianisti ( Single, 2012 )
- Outersphere ( I Feel So Alive! ) / Boomerang ( Double 'A' Side Single, 2012 )
- SLIPSTREAM Volume One ( 12 track re-master Album, 2012 )
- SLIPSTREAM Volume Two ( 18 track re-master Album, 2012 )
- Velocity Ultra (Soundtrack Remix CD - Track #8, 2013)
- New Year Song, "Here we are again..." ( Single, 2013 )
- STRIX MEMORIA ◔ ( Psygnosis Commemorative USB Memory Stick Album, 2013 )
- Paula Agnus Denise ( CD Album released by 010101 Music (ZOZ-1-CD), 2013 )
- B.F.O. Drift [ Polka Dot Mix ] ( Track #17 - "The Sound of SceneSat Volume 3", 2014 )
- DECADE ( Boxed USB Stick: 14 Albums, 11 Singles & Bonus Material, 2014 )
- Ski or Die ( Track #4 'Super VG Christmas Party' by Various Artists, 2014 )
- Overdrive Collection ( 10 Track 'Best of' Album for REMUTE 'Does Time Really Exist?' Bundle, 2014 )
- SHADOW OF THE BEAST ( CD Album released by Bitmap Books : Remixes of AMIGA music originally composed by David Whittaker, 2015 )
Filmscore & Soundtrack
- Traveller: RED (Merkelbach Films, 2006) IMDb
Live Shows, Public Appearances and Performances
|Video Games Live||Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK||3 December 2006||On Stage Special Guest, Meet & Greet, Autographs|
|The Burning Man 2009||Black Rock, Nevada, USA||Summer 2009||Controlled Burn Reno performance|
|Video Games Live||Cardiff International Arena, Cardiff, UK||3 December 2009||Meet & Greet, Autographs|
|ChipFest 6||Bier Keller, Liverpool, UK||27 August 2011||As CoLD SToRAGE playing selected hits Live|
|Sunrise Demo Party 2011||Strathmore Hotel, Luton, UK||10 September 2011||As CoLD SToRAGE playing selected hits Live|
|London Gaming Con (Inaugural)||Rocket Complex, London, UK||3 December 2011||As CoLD SToRAGE playing selected hits Live, on-stage Q&A session|
|MegaByte: CoLD SToRAGE Live||The Retro Bar, Manchester, UK||16 December 2011||As CoLD SToRAGE playing selected hits Live|
|FurVention 2015||Aloft Hotel, Liverpool, UK||23 January 2015||Guest of Honour - Presentation and Q&A Session|
- http://www.bwrweira.co.uk BWRW EIRA
- "Golden Joystick Awards 2010 - About The Joysticks". Computerandvideogames.com. 2010-08-26. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "Composer Interview: CoLD SToRAGE (Tim Wright) - OCRWiki - OverClocked ReMix". Ocremix.org. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "Codemasters". Codemasters. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "Official CoLD SToRAGE Website". Coldstorage.org.uk. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "Music, Sound Effects and Voice Over for Games, Video, Film TV, Websites and Media Projects". Bwrw Eira. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "Cold Storage". Coldstorage.bandcamp.com. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- jeriaska on 6 October 2009 12:00 AM (2009-10-06). "Sound Current: 'CoLD SToRAGE Audio Trip – Project Moonbounce 2009'". GameSetWatch. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "World Moon Bounce Day Celebrates 40th anniversary of Apollo 11 Moon Landing « National Space Society Blog". Blog.nss.org. 2009-04-07. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "Cold Storage". Coldstorage.bandcamp.com. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "VGL London 2006". Video Games Live. Retrieved 2015-05-24.
- "Controlled Burn Reno 2009 - Burning Man". OGP Phonogramatica. Retrieved 2015-05-24.
- "VGL Cardiff 2009". Video Games Live. Retrieved 2015-05-24.
- "Chipfest 6". Calm Down Kidder. Retrieved 2015-05-24.
- "Sunrise 2011". Demo Scene Party. Retrieved 2015-05-24.
- "London Anime & Gaming Con". LAGC. Retrieved 2015-05-24.
- "Megabyte Manchester". Megabyte. Retrieved 2015-05-24.
- CoLD SToRAGE Official Website
- CoLD SToRAGE Music Downloads
- CoLD SToRAGE SoundCloud page
- BBC Music Page
- http://www.giantbomb.com/tim-wright/3040-18458/ Giant Bomb Artist Page]
- DiscOgs Page
- Tantrumedia Limited
- Tim Wright profile on MobyGames
- Tim Wright discography at MusicBrainz
- Artist profile at OverClocked ReMix
- Wipeout Pure album website
- Amiga Immortal official website
- retro tracks website
- Tim Wright on IMDB
- VGMDB Page
- Mirsoft Page
Press, Video, Interviews and General Coverage
- Interviewed at Square Enix Music Online
- Interviewed at OverClocked ReMix
- Tim Wright Interviewed by Brutal Gamer
- AMIGA SCENE Interview Tim Wright
- Interview by Game Set Watch concerning Tim's 'Project Moonbounce 2009' Album
- Interview by Sam Kennedy for 1UP.com
- Tim Wright Interviewed in Podcast by One Man and his Mic (Jason 'Kenz' Mackenzie)
- RetroGamer April 2014
- Strix Memoria 2013
- DoReMi interview (French)
- Gamikia interview (Spanish)
- Kotaku - DECADE Article 2014
- CoLD SToRAGE Live Performance Pod Cast 2011
- CoLD SToRAGE Live Performance Luton 2011
- CoLD SToRAGE Live Performance Chipfest 2011
- CoLD SToRAGE - Wired Magazine 2008
- The Ongaku 2014
- VidaExtra Summary Article 2011 (Spanish)
- DocManhattan Article 2011 (Italian)
- The WipEout Legacy - Article
- The Making of WipEout - Article
- Slipstream Album Coverage 2012