Location of Timberlake, Virginia
|• Total||11.3 sq mi (29.3 km2)|
|• Land||11.2 sq mi (29.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||919 ft (280 m)|
|• Density||1,100/sq mi (420/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1495150|
Timberlake is located at (37.331482, −79.247904).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 11.3 square miles (29.3 km2), of which 11.2 square miles (29.0 km2) is land and 0.12 square miles (0.3 km2), or 1.12%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 10,683 people, 4,523 households, and 3,152 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,211.8 people per square mile (467.7/km²). There were 4,707 housing units at an average density of 533.9/sq mi (206.1/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 91.13% White, 5.42% African American, 0.28% Native American, 1.71% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.47% from other races, and 0.97% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.01% of the population.
There were 4,523 households out of which 29.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.1% were married couples living together, 9.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.3% were non-families. 25.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.83.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 22.7% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 29.8% from 25 to 44, 25.7% from 45 to 64, and 13.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 92.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.5 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $43,094, and the median income for a family was $50,073. Males had a median income of $34,577 versus $24,343 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $20,760. About 4.5% of families and 5.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.5% of those under the age of 18 and 3.5% of those ages 65 and older.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Timberlake has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Timberlake CDP, Virginia". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 14, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Timberlake CDP, Virginia". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 14, 2012.
- Climate Summary for Timberlake, Virginia