View of the town of Bryne
Time within Rogaland
|• Mayor (2011)||Reinert Kverneland (H)|
|• Total||183.19 km2 (70.73 sq mi)|
|• Land||170.88 km2 (65.98 sq mi)|
|• Water||12.31 km2 (4.75 sq mi)|
|Area rank||340 in Norway|
|• Rank||65 in Norway|
|• Density||108.7/km2 (282/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||25.4 %|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-1121|
|Official language form||Nynorsk|
Time is a municipality in Rogaland county, Norway. It is located in the traditional district of Jæren. The administrative centre of the municipality is the town of Bryne. Some villages in the municipality include Kvernaland, Lyefjell, Mossige, and Undheim. Most of Time is fairly flat and it is used for agriculture. The eastern portion of the municipality is more rugged moorland.
The parish of "Thime" was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). The municipal borders have been slightly changed twice since that time. On 1 January 1970, a small unpopulated area was moved from Time to Gjesdal municipality. Then again on 1 January 1989 another unpopulated area was transferred to Gjesdal. Both times it was to make more room for the growing village of Ålgård.
The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the old Time farm (Old Norse: Þímin or Þímvin), since the first Time Church was built there. The meaning of the first element is unknown but the last element is vin which means "meadow" or "pasture". Historically, the municipality name was spelled Thime, but the "h" was dropped as the Norwegian language was reformed over time.
The coat-of-arms is from modern times; they were granted on 23 December 1977. It shows a white or light gray northern lapwing (Vanellus vanellus) on a red background. This bird (known as a vipe in Norwegian) was chosen as a symbol for the municipality as it is a typical bird for the area. It is shown with wings upwards to symbolize optimism.
|Parish (Sokn)||Church Name||Location of the Church||Year Built|
|Time||Time Church||Time (just outside Bryne)||1859|
Time is located in the district of Jæren which is mostly flat and agricultural. The river Figgjoelva marks the northern border of Time with the municipality of Sandnes. The large lake Frøylandsvatnet forms part of the border with the neighboring municipality of Klepp. The landlocked municipality also includes part of the "Høg-Jæren" ("high-Jæren") area which is not flat like the rest of the district. Høg-Jæren is more hilly, rugged, and less densely populated.
|Source: Statistics Norway.|
All municipalities in Norway, including Time, are responsible for primary education (through 10th grade), outpatient health services, senior citizen services, unemployment and other social services, zoning, economic development, and municipal roads. The municipality is governed by a municipal council of elected representatives, which in turn elect a mayor.
|Party Name||Name in Norwegian||Number of
|Christian Democratic Party||Kristelig Folkeparti||4|
|Green Party||Miljøpartiet Dei Grøne||1|
|Socialist Left Party||Sosialistisk Venstreparti||1|
|Total number of members:||27|
Twin towns/Sister cities
Time has sister city agreements with the following places:
- Alnwick, Northumberland, England, United Kingdom
- Älmhult, Kronoberg County, Sweden
- Lapinjärvi, Uusimaa, Finland
- Allerød, Zealand, Denmark
- Arne Garborg (1851–1924), author
- Fritz Røed (1928–2002), sculptor
- Alf-Inge Håland (born 1972), footballer
- Janove Ottesen (born 1975), musician and front figure of Kaizers Orchestra
- Geir Zahl (born 1975), musician and guitar player of Kaizers Orchestra
- "Navn på steder og personer: Innbyggjarnamn" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- Store norske leksikon. "Time" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2016-05-31.
- Jukvam, Dag (1999). "Historisk oversikt over endringer i kommune- og fylkesinndelingen" (PDF) (in Norwegian). Statistisk sentralbyrå.
- Rygh, Oluf (1915). Norske gaardnavne: Stavanger amt (in Norwegian) (10 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. pp. 139–142.
- "Civic heraldry of Norway - Norske Kommunevåpen". Heraldry of the World. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
- Projected population – Statistics Norway
- "Table: 04813: Members of the local councils, by party/electoral list at the Municipal Council election (M)" (in Norwegian). Statistics Norway. 2015.