Time Is Love
|"Time Is Love"|
|Single by Josh Turner|
|from the album Punching Bag|
|Released||January 9, 2012|
|Format||CD single, music download|
|Josh Turner singles chronology|
"Time Is Love" is a song written by Tony Martin, Mark Nesler and Tom Shapiro, and recorded by American country music artist Josh Turner. It was released in January 2012 as the lead-off single from his album, Punching Bag, which was released on June 12, 2012. It was covered by Mark Kozelek on his 2013 covers album Like Rats.
"Time Is Love" is a moderate up-tempo song with prominent mandolin. The song's male narrator describes being at work and expressing the urgency that his time would be much better spent at home with his woman, because "time is love." The song is in the key of D major with a main chord pattern of Bm-G-A-D.
"Time Is Love" received mostly average reviews from critics. Billy Dukes with Taste of Country gave the song a 2½ stars out of 5, faulting the lyrics for being bland; however, he complimented Turner's voice and the "brilliant instrumental bridge." Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song a C rating, saying that the vocal delivery lacks Turner's signature baritone. Matt Bjorke of Roughstock gave the song 3 stars out of 5, saying that it "feels like it’s more of a ‘background’ kind of song more than one that makes you wanna stand up and notice it;" he complimented the song's production as a happy marriage of modern country and Turner's neotraditionalist roots. Greg Victor, music critic at Parcbench.com gave the song 3 stars out of 4, citing the song's "jazz-inflected improvisatory feel" and appreciating the way that Josh Turner delivered "a more modern sound echoing a traditional sentiment."
The music video was directed by Peter Zavadil and premiered in March 2012.
"Time Is Love" debuted at number 56 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of January 14, 2012. It also debuted at number 91 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart for the week of April 14, 2012.
In December 2012, Billboard magazine named "Time is Love" the No. 1 country song of the year despite it never placing at No. 1 on the Hot Country Songs chart; it peaked at number 2. In the process, the song became the second in the 68-year-old chart's history to achieve this distinction, behind Lee Brice's "Love Like Crazy", which peaked at number 3 in 2010.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||92|
|US Billboard Hot 100||44|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- ""Time Is Love" sheet music". Musicnotes.com. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Billy Dukes (December 13, 2011). "Josh Turner, 'Time Is Love' – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved March 11, 2012.
- Kevin John Coyne (January 9, 2012). "Single Review: Josh Turner, "Time is Love"". Country Universe. Retrieved March 11, 2012.
- Matt Bjorke (December 16, 2011). "Single Review: Josh Turner - "Time Is Love"". Roughstock. Retrieved March 11, 2012.
- Victor, Greg. "Josh Turner's Single "Time Is Love" Arrives Just In Time". Retrieved May 19, 2012.
- Palisin, Steve (June 14, 2013). "Crooner Josh Turner back at Alabama Theatre in Myrtle Beach area". The Sun News.
- "Josh Turner – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Josh Turner. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- "Josh Turner – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Josh Turner. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- "Josh Turner – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Josh Turner. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Best of 2012: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- "American single certifications – Josh Turner – Time Is Love". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved September 12, 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
by Eli Young Band
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
number-one single of the year
by Florida Georgia Line