Time Machine VR
|Time Machine VR|
|Developer(s)||Minority Media Inc.|
|Publisher(s)||Minority Media Inc.|
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, PlayStation 4|
|Release||May 19, 2016|
Time Machine VR is an adventure, indie, simulation video game developed by Minority Media Inc. It was released for Early Access on August 28, 2015, through Steam. and the full game was released through Steam on May 19, 2016. It was released for PlayStation VR on the PlayStation 4 on November 15, 2016, and in Australia and Europe, three days later.
The game is set in 2070 where global warming has released an ancient virus from the Arctic Ice which is killing humanity to the point of extinction. In an effort to save what remains of humanity, the player who is a Time Travelling cadet, is sent back in time to the Jurassic period. The mission involves observing and scanning objects/creatures to collect data that can be used to combat the virus.
In the story mode, the player starts inside a research hub in Svalbard, Norway where they travel back in time using a time machine. The player travels through the Jurassic oceans encountering many different prehistoric animals including Mosasaurs, Livyatans and Megalodons. Hi-tech probes, scanners and tracking systems are used to extract the data that is needed to combat the virus. It is also possible freeze time and scan creatures using echography and perform behaviour scans. After each mission all the data found is uploaded to the "DinoDex" which unlocks additional data and new creatures.
In exploration mode, previous levels can be revisited to unlock additional scientific data and can uncover clues to aid in humanities survival.
Time Machine VR was developed, over a period of 3 years, by the Canadian games company Minority Media Inc. The developers worked with Dr. Hans Larsson, a research chair in Vertebrate Paleontology for the McGill University, to ensure the game was scientifically accurate.
The game was first made available through Steam early access on 28 August 2015. On 10 October 2015, the first major update was made available. This update included keyboard support, new advanced graphics options and a redesigned mission hub. A second major update was published on 23 December 2015. This update included several new creatures, a new behaviour scan, an upgrade to the Oculus runtime version and performance improvements. The game was made available through Oculus Rift early access on 28 March 2016. On 6 April 2016, the game was made available for the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive through the Steam store. On the 19 May 2016, the full version of the game was released through Steam. Another major update was published on 23 December 2016, this made the Virtual Reality experience more comfortable after complaints about motion sickness, as well as improving the game controls and general performance.
Adaption to Time Machine:VR
An alternative version of the game called Time Machine VR: Monsters of the Sea was released on Samsung Gear VR on January 16, 2017. Unilike Time Machine VR it is not free roam because of the performance limitations on mobile devices.
Time Machine VR had been recognized as one of Steam's top 30 grossing VR titles in their library of over 1,000 games. It was only 1 of 30 games that had that cleared $1 million in revenues, hauling in $1.2 million.
- "Papo & Yo developer's Time Machine VR has launched on Steam Early Access". vg247. 28 August 2015. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "'Time Machine VR' Title Launches In Early Access, Demo Shown At PAX". Toms Hardware. August 28, 2015. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "Minority Media Gives 'Time Machine VR' A Release Date". Upload VR. May 11, 2016. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "Time Machine VR Details". Road to VR. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "Time Machine VR". gamefaqs. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- "The first AAA time travel experience to fully leverage the power of virtual reality technology". Gamer Shell. August 30, 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- "Wot I Think: Time Machine VR". Rockpapershotgun. May 27, 2016. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "Review: Time Machine VR – PS4/PSVR". Pure Playstation. 20 November 2016. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "Time Machine VR Motion Debut at GDC". VR Focus. March 14, 2017. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "Learn About the Science Behind Time Machine VR in New Video". Dual Shockers. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "D-BOX VR and Minority Media debut exciting VR gaming experience at the 2017 Game Developers Conference". Market Wired. February 27, 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- "Time Machine:VR Monsters of the Sea". arthands-vr. Retrieved 6 February 2018.
- "Minority Media bets on VR arcade games to survive". Venture Beat. December 27, 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- "Review: Time Machine VR". Destuctoid. 19 May 2016. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "Time Machine VR Review". Game Revolution. May 19, 2016. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- "Time Machine VR Review – Edutainment-tastic (PSVR)". Playstation Lifestyle. November 24, 2016. Retrieved 28 January 2018.