Time in Ukraine
Time in Ukraine is defined as UTC+02:00 and in summer as UTC+03:00. Locally it is referred to as the Kiev Time (Ukrainian: Київський час, Kyivskyi chas) and is part of the Eastern European Time. The change for the summer time take place in the last week of March at 03:00 when the time changes an hour ahead and the last week of October at 04:00 when the time changes an hour back; this way the clocks in Ukraine are 1 hour ahead of those in central Europe at all times.
The territory of Ukraine in Europe stretches 17°57' along a longitude or about 1.2 hours. Almost 95% of its territory is located in the Eastern European Time Zone with exceptions of its western and eastern extremities. Small portion of Zakarpattia Oblast is located in the Central European Time Zone, while Luhansk Oblast, most of Donetsk Oblast, and part of Kharkiv Oblast are geographically located in the Further-eastern European Time Zone. However, the whole country officially observes Eastern European Time.
- Eastern extremity: village of Chervona Zirka (Velykotsk council), Milove Raion, Luhansk Oblast - 40°11′53″ (eastern longitude)
- Western extremity: village of Solomonovo, Uzhhorod Raion, Zakarpattia Oblast - 22°09′50″ (eastern longitude)
- Vernadsky Research Base in Antarctic is located in the Atlantic Time Zone (UTC-04:00).
Daylight saving time in Ukraine was introduced in the early 1980s. On 20 September 2011, the Verkhovna Rada (Ukrainian parliament) canceled the return from Eastern European Summer Time to Eastern European Time. On 18 October 2011, the Parliament abolished these plans.
IANA time zone database
- Europe/Kiev - most locations
- Europe/Uzhgorod - Ruthenia (because it used Central European Time in 1990/1991)
- Europe/Zaporozhye - Zaporozh'ye, E Lugansk / Zaporizhia, E Luhansk
- Europe/Simferopol - central Crimea
- Ukraine cancels use of daylight saving time, Kyiv Post (20 September 2011)
- Ukraine to return to standard time on Oct. 30 (updated), Kyiv Post (18 October 2011)
- Deputies cancelled the winter time, WorldTimeZone.com (20 September 2011)
- Ukraine cancels plan to drop winter time change, Kyiv Post (18 October 2011)
- Current time in Ukraine
- Declaration of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine about the order of calculating time on the territory of Ukraine. Official document #509/96. May 13, 1996