Timecop (video game)
Japanese cover art
|Developer(s)||Cryo Interactive Entertainment|
Victor Interactive Software, Inc.
|Genre(s)||2D action platformer|
Timecop (タイムコップ Taimukoppu?) is a Super Nintendo Entertainment System video game that is loosely based on the movie of the same name. Levels range from locales in the past (e.g., New York City during the 1920s, the European front of World War II), the present day, and a dystopian Los Angeles of the distant future.
Although the game was only released for the Super Nintendo, it was also developed for the Sega CD, with a short demo being distributed in May 1995 alongside the European Sega Pro magazine. Despite being fully completed by the developer, JVC pulled off the Sega CD version publishing and it remained unreleased. In 2007, a complete version of the game was eventually released on the Internet by the Sega CD version coder.
Players must stop the original inventor of time travel, Dr. Hans Kleindast and he must fix all the wrong things that Kleindast does in the game. There are 15 levels in all; most of them are standard platforming levels. Some levels involve the use of a player-controlled vehicle and use of martial arts.
A time limit is in effect for all 15 levels of the game; resulting in instant death and the loss of a life if the timer reaches 0:00.
On release, Famitsu magazine scored the game a 20 out of 40. GamePro panned the game, citing overexaggerated animation, lack of digitized voice, and almost unplayable design. Allgame gave the game a 2.5 out of 5 score.
- "Basic game overview". MobyGames. Retrieved 2011-04-26.
- "Release date information". GameFAQs. Retrieved 2011-04-26.
- "# of players information". SNES Central. Retrieved 2011-04-27.
- "English-Japanese title translation". SuperFamicom.org. Retrieved 2011-05-27.
- "Advanced game overview". IGN. Retrieved 2011-04-27.
- "Sega Mega CD demo information". Sega Mega CD Library. Retrieved 2011-10-20.
- New unreleased game, archived from the original on 2012-03-26, retrieved 2015-07-26
- New Games Cross Review - タイムコップ. Weekly Famitsu. No.323. Pg.38. 24 February 1995.
- "ProReview: Timecop". GamePro (IDG) (68): 68. March 1995.
- "Rating for Timecop (Super NES) version". allgame. Retrieved 2012-10-10.