Timed comments are a feature offered by some audio and video players and websites where people can add comments associated with specific times in an audio or video. These comments are then displayed in the player when that time is reached while playing the audio or video.
Timed comments differ from annotations, captions, and subtitles in an important respect: they can be added by viewers, not just video creators, and they include the identity of the person adding the comment.
- SoundCloud, an audio distribution platform and music sharing website: Timed comments can be added at a specific minute and second mark in a soundtrack, and are displayed when the track reaches that minute and second mark. Users can see each others' comments.
- Viki, a video streaming website that hosts a number of television shows and movies from Korea, Japan, China, and Taiwan. Viki's timed commenting system is one of its distinguishing features.
- Viddler, a video platform used for training videos.
- Diakopoulos, Nick (July 19, 2007). "Timed Comments in Video". Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- Fryer, Wesley (September 19, 2011). "Share "timed" comments on Audio Recordings with SoundCloud". Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- "Annotating Tracks With Soundcloud". March 20, 2010. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- Constine, Josh (October 15, 2014). "Vusay Keeps Eyeballs Glued By Adding SoundCloudy Timed Comments To Any Video". TechCrunch. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- Russell, Jon (May 9, 2013). "Global video site Viki is bringing social back, as it reintroduces improved real-time commenting system". The Next Web. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- Cain, Rob (October 24, 2017). "Viki.com Is The Most Innovative Streaming Video Service You Haven't Heard About". Forbes. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- Patel, Sahil (December 22, 2015). "How Rakuten's Viki plans to grow its global streaming service". Digiday. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- Dwyer, Tessa. Speaking in Subtitles: Revaluing Screen Translation.
- "Viddler to make moments in video searchable". August 9, 2006. Retrieved April 28, 2019.